The big problem is that you have customers that are running a business, customers who are students where assignments have to be mailed in or posted to drop box, and others who are under daily time pressures for whatever reason. Those individuals can't wait around for their service to restart, tomorrow, the next day, or whenever. They need a functioning modem and they need it now. The only logical reason to advise a customer to hold off on a swap would be if the failure mechanism is still in place. I would hope that by now, that mechanism has been disabled. And .... if it was the case that the failure mechanism was still in place, that potentially leaves a good many customer without the service that they rely on. That absolutely requires fast action on the part of the Rogers Tech staff. Not offering any solutions here, just observations and thoughts on this.
Along with the announcement of the affected models (and possibly the CODA-4582) there should be some announcement as to the status of the driving mechanism behind the failures. If that has been disabled, then customers should be able to swap the modem and return to their normal activities. If the failure mechanism is still in place, then some resolution is required along with further instructions to the Rogers store staff in the affected areas and the end customers.
If you swap a functioning modem, due to all the swaps going on, a provisioning issue may occur. This will delay the new modem from coming back online. As far as I can tell from my co-workers, the only new calls coming in have had the issue from before this morning. So that means your modem is safe. A provisioning issue can add 48 to getting a new modem online.
I would agree with @borford. If it isn't bricked by now, it probably won't happen. If its up and running and operating without issues, you will be wasting time with a swap, and as @borford indicates , introducing the possibility of a provisioning issue. Completely understand that they pay the bills, but if the modem is ok at this point, there probably isn't a good reason to swap it. Test it out when you're there and see if its ok and then make a decision from there.