Bricked Modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Bricked Modem

Hello @RogersCorey

Thanks! It did this for a couple of minutes then worked. I'll take my chances and exchange it today / tomorrow just incase.

Thanks again!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The big problem is that you have customers that are running a business, customers who are students where assignments have to be mailed in or posted to drop box, and others who are under daily time pressures for whatever reason.  Those individuals can't wait around for their service to restart, tomorrow, the next day, or whenever.  They need a functioning modem and they need it now.  The only logical reason to advise a customer to hold off on a swap would be if the failure mechanism is still in place.  I would hope that by now, that mechanism has been disabled.  And .... if it was the case that the failure mechanism was still in place, that potentially leaves a good many customer without the service that they rely on.  That absolutely requires fast action on the part of the Rogers Tech staff.  Not offering any solutions here, just observations and thoughts on this. 

Along with the announcement of the affected models (and possibly the CODA-4582) there should be some announcement as to the status of the driving mechanism behind the failures.  If that has been disabled, then customers should be able to swap the modem and return to their normal activities.  If the failure mechanism is still in place, then some resolution is required along with further instructions to the Rogers store staff in the affected areas and the end customers.

Rogers Employee borford
Rogers Employee

You don't have to waste your time, as stated, if it is not affected at this time it will not be affected. Smiley Wink

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @borford

Not wasting time at all actually! I rather be safe then sorry as my parents aren't at the age of doing much and know much about modems and I rather do the exchange for them just incase. We are allowed to anyways so there shouldn't be a problem. :).

Thanks!
Rogers Employee borford
Rogers Employee

If you swap a functioning modem, due to all the swaps going on, a provisioning issue may occur. This will delay the new modem from coming back online. As far as I can tell from my co-workers, the only new calls coming in have had the issue from before this morning. So that means your modem is safe. A provisioning issue can add 48 to getting a new modem online.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @borford

Thank you for your help but I'll do the swap for them as per their request. Again they pay the bills so they get to choose what to do not anyone else ( even me). If it takes a longer time to provision so be it as they barely use the Internet on a daily basis ( they are in their mid 60s and 70s and only use the Internet for Netflix or online cooking session). For mine i wouldn't care and can wait it out and use mine.

Thank you for the help and insight!:)
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would agree with @borford.  If it isn't bricked by now, it probably won't happen.  If its up and running and operating without issues, you will be wasting time with a swap, and as @borford indicates , introducing the possibility of a provisioning issue.  Completely understand that they pay the bills, but if the modem is ok at this point, there probably isn't a good reason to swap it.  Test it out when you're there and see if its ok and then make a decision from there.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Just to clarify, if I just see the green power light, it's not bricked, and a restart should now work ?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Datalink

I talked to my parents about not doing it as i am not but they are stubborn and want to exchange it. I can't stop them really so I'll let them do whatever they want. For me the modem on my end is working other then having repeated issues turning on and off soemtimes but nothing else. So i won't do it as per @ borford said. With them though I'll let them do whatever they like and they can deal with not having the Internet for a couple of hours. Again i spoke to then and got the final answer. Stubborn much. Lol.
Rogers Employee borford
Rogers Employee

If ONLY the power light is on, it is bricked and MUST be swapped.