Brand new Ignite 250/20 plan, CGN3ACR - SLOW Wi-Fi

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Brand new Ignite 250/20 plan, CGN3ACR - SLOW Wi-Fi

Similar issue here.

Installed last week and wifi speed went down to 14-15 mbps (it's 300+ wired). My iPad and iPhone can't hold connections in any online apps with the Hitron wireless router they installed.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you running on a 2.4 or 5 Ghz network?  Here is a link to inSSIDer, which is a wifi monitoring application.  If you have a laptop available, you can load this to have a look at the wifi environment and determine if there are any other channels available that might yield better results.   Remember as well, that the modem is a combo modem / router, which typically does not have steller wifi performance to start with.  So, have a look with inSSIDer if you can, and after that, maybe we can figure out what the next step might be.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

This inSSIDer version does not display 802.11ac networks.  There is a new version out, which has become a pay version, which does display 802.11ac networks by reading the transmission header data, so you don't need an 802.11ac capable laptop to see those networks on the display.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am on the Ignite 100/10 plan and tried the 250/20 for a couple of days. Previously was on the Hybrid Fibe 150 plan. I have the CGN3ACR and typically get around 70 mbs from my iPad Air, slightly slower from an iPad Mini and various other mobile devices. I find connecting to the wireless on the modem to be faster than going via a Time Capsule (AEBS) and then out. My wired desktop gets over 100 mbs consistently while a wireless one gets around 75 mbs.

There aren't enough users at home to justify the 250 as I really don't notice a dramatic difference for most Internet use. In a way 250 is probably too fast for most sites. It certainly is nowhere near twice the speed. Perhaps 1/4 faster. Upload speeds are way better though.

Both plans are really impressive. The CGN3ACR is way better than the CGN3 it replaced which had a slow interface for changing anything on the modem.
I Plan to Stick Around

I am currently on the old Hybrid 120 gb limit plan using a rented CGN2 WifiModem. When I called Rogers to see how I could get a little more monthly download limit, the only thing they offered are the new Ignite 100u or Ignite 60 plan, which after the 3 month promotion will end up costing little more than my current plan.

I was thinking of heading down to the store to exchange the modem today and get the Rocket Modem. Is that the CGN3 or CGN3ACR modem ?

The Customer service rep told me Rocket modem is the latest and greatest. I already have issues with wifi signal strength in a room on 2nd floor of a 2000 sq ft house which is diagonally opposite to where the modem is located on the 1st floor. I was hoping this Rocket modem would have better signal strength with it's so called 6 internal antenna, but I read things otherwise here.

Should I just stick with the CGN2 and forget about changing plans ?

When I got this CGN2 modem 2 years back, I put my old existing ASUS  RT-N13U Router in the Repeater mode on the second floor in the room with low wifi strength and that somewhat helped. I am planning to do the same if I get the Rocket modem, but not clear about who this whole 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands that this rocket modem supports and how that will make things work better or worse.

For all the streaming (Shomi, Netflix etc) devices, I have them connected hardwired to the router, so no issues there. I just use wifi connected phones and laptops. 

Does Rocket modem finally support hard drives connected to its USB ports ? I read that in a support post somewhere on Rogers.com. In CGN2 Rogers disabled the USB ports.

As I did not want to install the Easy Connect bloat ware, I have not been able to use the Guest feature of CGN2 as well. I guess, I will have to finally use that if I get the Rocket modem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

RANGE wise.. you may not get that much difference out of the newer modems.

Likely best to keep the same way that you have.. or run another wired run, running one as a seperate access point.. to gain wireless range.

Most users who need more, usually put their unit into bridge mode, and then put in a GOOD quality 3rd party router to gain the distance

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi all,

I am sorry for seemingly abandoning this thread, but I underwent shoulder surgery recently and have been pretty immobile/out of it so internet issues sort of lost priority for a while... 

Not to fear, however, as now I am back and still at a loss for what's up with my Internet connectivity + my wifi!

So a few days ago, I invited a friend over that has an Xbox One, which happens to be a device capable of 5G wifi, since he was really excited to show me Destiny (I "retired" from consoles after getting a good PC).

I figured this would be a good way to test the theory of my laptop wifi card only being 2.4g, therefore that's the reason my WiFi stinks so bad.

Well, after 2 hours of fiddling around with the Xbox One network settings - my friend basically said "I've never seen Internet so screwed up in a house."   We might have got twenty minutes of actual game time in over 3-4 hours of attempting to play.

When connected to the 5G Wifi, the network diagnostics showed a latency of 85-86 ms.  Upload speeds were around 14-19Mb/s and download speeds were all over the place, seemed to be 80-190mb/s.

What really made no sense to me was the high latency.

So, we decided to try connecting a CAT5e ethernet cable.  50 ft, as my xbox one is in the room almost directly below where the router sits, on the second floor.  It's only a townhouse, so its not like it's an exceptional distance with a lot of walls in between.  No concrete, and no lead (I hope!).

Well what was baffling to me, was that even after we connected the ethernet cable, latency did not change.  Still sat at 85-86 ms.  Download and upload rates, as reflected by the Xbox One's network diagnostics, showed the normal speeds I get when running speed tests on any device that is wired within the house.  But that latency......

It was nothing but constant lag outs and disconnects, whether we were connected wired, or connected via 5G.  Signal strength from the router was an abysmal 56-70%.

Furthermore, it seems that since I've had this new CGN3ACSMR router/modem, I cannot stay connected to the Internet reliably.  It will disconnect multiple times during the day/night, which then require a reset of the router, or 10 minutes of just waiting before it reconnects.

When I called Rogers Tech Support about the connectivity issue, they asked if the router was plugged into a powerbar..which it was.  They pointed to this as a possible cause of the problem.  So I plugged the router into the wall, to no positive effect as the disconnection problem is still occurring.  

So, here it is...  my wifi is god awful in this house, using a 5G capable device did nothing, and now even my wired connections are not reliable.

Do I have a faulty router?  Is this normal for the router and should I just bite the bullet and get an ASUS RT-68ACU or equivalent?

I've already ordered more new cat6 network cables, as well as a new wireless adapter card for my laptop, so I can do more testing of the 5G network capabilities, but it really seems like something else is going on due to the constant disconnects and how abysmal the Xbox One performed.

Again, I'm sorry for my MIA-ness in the thread, shoulder joint replacement is a very unpleasant experience.  Almost as unpleasant as your new super fast internet package letting you down!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you haven't done so already, read the first post of the following thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/253...

Your CGN3ACSMR does have issues with latency, as does all of the CGN3 series modems.  There is a firmware update available for it which should solve the Xbox and Destiny issue.  Have that update pushed to your modem and when you have the new wifi card installed in your laptop, you can have a look at the 5 Ghz wifi environment using inSSIDer, which can monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks.  If I haven't provided this before here is the link to the last free version of it.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

This doesn't show 802.11ac networks.  There is however a pay version out now that does and for $20 U.S. its worth buying so that you can see all of the networks around you.  You don't need an 802.11ac capable wifi card as the program can read the network data that denotes an 802.11ac transmission when using a normal 802.11n wifi card.

I Plan to Stick Around

Oh.... This firmware update isn't done automatically?  

So had I never found these threads and posted my issues, I would never have found out about this fix?  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It will be pushed out to all CGN3ACSMRs at some point.  I think there are a couple of issues to resolve before a final version is released.  Until that happens @CommunityHelps has been arranging to have the firmware pushed to those who request it.  This should resolve most but not all issues that gamers are having with the CGN3ACSMR.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well I appreciate the heads up, I sent a message off to @Communityhelps with my pertinent information.

Hopefully my new wireless network adapter for my laptop arrives soon and I can see whats what and determine if a new router is the next feasible step.