Blocking Unwanted Advertisements

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Blocking Unwanted Advertisements

Hello everyone.

There was a thread from Feb 2015 called  "How do I get rid of Rogers Yahoo SPAM!!??"  The subject of Advertisement Blocking applications was mentioned such as:

Fanboy AdBlock, AdBlocker Plus, Webmail Ad Blocker, etc.

Opt-Out was also discussed for the Yahoo website, but the conclusion was that you can`t. A lot of people threatened to quit Rogers. I looks like everyone is going to get annoying advertisement videos and pop ups even if you don`t want them. The argument goes that Yahoo is supported by advertising and that the products and services offered, such as web-based email, storage, photo sharing, News, etc. are free of charge because of advertising is paying for it. 

Well, that isn`t quite true. Any advertisement videos that you get through MSN, Yahoo, or any other web page will decrease your data allocation, so there is a cost to it.  Depending on the web pages you visit in a day you could be wasting up to 500MB per day.   

Forget suggeting the Yahoo opt out option or the Flurry opt out for mobile. Opting out is made to be difficult and it does not work. The company says they take your privacy seriously and they say they understand we may still prefer to opt-out from being included in Flurry services but they will collect your personal data regardless. You can`t opt out and just like hundreds of Canadians  supposedly using Ashley Madison, your data is totally vulnerable.  That`s a subject in its own right but worth noting.  

For this thread, I just want to be able to find out how to block all advertisments I get through my Rogers internet service provider. Back when the other threat started in February, it was stated that ``We have been listening and have been working with Yahoo to get these ads rolled back. We have have received assurance that they will be removed by end of week. This will result in your webmail experience reverting to what it was had prior to February 13th.`` 

I have not seen any evidence of this when I log on to my Rogers webmail. The videos are still there as well as the banner advertisements.

Can the resident experts summarize the recommended ad blocking (free if possible) applications for the main browsers:

IE

(or Edge)

Foxfire

Chrome

I and many others would greatly appreciate it.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Blocking Unwanted Advertisements

Hello @User14,

Advertising is common with all web-based email services, and the opt out you are referring to from Rogers Yahoo webmail is 'interest-matched advertising'.

For more details on interest-matched advertising and Yahoo's privacy policy check out this link.

Hope this helps clarify,

RogersDarrell

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As Darrell said, that part it was refering too, was just for an ADDITIONAL advert.. which was listed in the actuall EMAIL section.
Its not the adds on the LEFT/TOP of the page.

For the email.. could rogers then change it and break from yahoo and get rid of the adds there? Possibly.

BUT thats only that site.  That won't stop any other website from showing adds, etc.
There is nothing which the provider can do.  Any provider.  They are just the transport. the content is from where you are visiting.

Your best options, if this is something you (or anyone) is worried about, is to then protect yourself with programs such as AdBlock Plus, etc.
(addblock is the only one i have really used in the past. so couldnt comment on others myself.  But should cover all browsers EXCEPT for EDGE right now)
In the end, all usage from your machine is your responsibility.  If you go to a page which has adds, you are responsible for the usage those adds play.
Only other options is to then stop visiting the pages in question.  Or using aplications for some things (collect email via outlook rather than web mail)

@User14

If you really want advertising blocked, you have to do it yourself with browser extensions. It seems that advertising has become a way of life on Internet sites and it is here to stay. 

I use a  combination of AdBlock and Adblock Plus for both Chrome and Firefox. They work just fine. For Webmail, I also use Webmail Ad Blocker which works for both Chrome and Firefox and eliminates completely the ads on the right hand side of the page. My Webmail is 100% ad free. (I would be a happy camper if I could have that on my Yahoo email app on my Android phone!)

When I used to to use the Rogers-Yahoo homepage, AdBlock or Adblock Plus effectively eliminated the obtrusive ad that appears in the top right side of the page. Since Rogers no longer allows you to have a customizable home page, I have switched to my.yahoo.com and that too is ad free.

There was once a time when ad blocking extensions did not work with Internet Explorer but I see now that you can get both Adblock Plus and Webmail Ad Blocker for Internet Explorer as well. I have no knowledge about Edge as I am not rushing into Windows 10 yet. On that one, I will sit back and see what the reviews are like!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Edge is not allowing any extensions, etc yet with it... suposedly its comming.. but not yet.

(means you cant run manything which require specific browser plugins.... another rogers user has said the Rogers One number wouldnt work for example)

Thanks JohhneyRockets,

Does Rogers provide any ad blocking capability as part of their online security services?  Rogers say they protect PCs, data files, and keep my identity safe but Rogers does not stop advertisers from stealing my internet data allocation. The main reason I want to block these ads and pop-ups is to stop the free use of the Internet Gigabytes I bought for my own use. The onus appears to be on the user at the moment, but I think Rogers should protect my allocated data as well as my files and identity. If they can give me McAfee to protect my computer from viruses, then I think they should also give me an Ad Blocker to protect my data from advertisers.  

You mentioned on another thread Fanboy AdBlock for IE also. How is it different from AdBlock?

I did switch my home page from Yahoo to MSN to avoid the ads but they are becoming ubiquitous and now these movie trailers and lengthy beer commercial videos are really eating into my data. 

With Fanboy, AdBlock or Adblock Plus installed, would the banner advertisements and side bar advertisements/videos be eliminated on sites like, say:   cbc.ca    or   msn.com  or even the huffingtonpost.com? 

I assume the Chrome and IE ad blocking extensions only work when using the search engine but the ads will still come up when I go to the webpage I have searched for.  Is that correct?

I'd appreciate any advice or recommendations on what I should try first to reduce the ads. I'd like to take this one step at a time. I am sure others will want to follow along if it works.

Edge does have a built in Pop-up Blocker.  It has been quite useful so far.

I wish I could "allow" or "reject" advertisements to run on my PC the same way.

If you want to enable Pop-up Blocker for Edge, follow the steps below.

Step 1: Open Edge browser.

Step 2: Click on the ‘…’   that is present at the top right corner of the page.

Step 3: Click on Settings.

Step 4: Click on View Advanced settings.

Step 5: Drag the slider to Pop-up Blocker on.

I Plan to Stick Around

Do you use or watch any of the content on MSN? If not, start by setting your homepage to something like google.ca (or duckduckgo.com) so that you aren't loading that content every time you open your browser.

Secondly, check to see if your email can be set to open with an email client so that you don't have to visit the webmail page to get it.  Gmail is another possible choice if you really want a web based email client. It doesn't show content when you access your mail, but unless you set your privacy settings correctly with it, it will scan the contents of your emails for keywords/phrases that will then be used for targetted ads on websites that have google ads present on them.

Some service providers use Spam Assassin to eliminate obvious spam for their customers, so it should be possible for a progressive service provider to treat advertisements like spam and quarantine ads until you allow or reject them.  I suspect some enterprising young entrepreneur will make a lot a money with such an application in the future.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Smiley Happy

@User14 wrote:

Thanks JohhneyRockets,

Does Rogers provide any ad blocking capability as part of their online security services? 

You mentioned on another thread Fanboy AdBlock for IE also. How is it different from AdBlock?

With Fanboy, AdBlock or Adblock Plus installed, would the banner advertisements and side bar advertisements/videos be eliminated on sites like, say:   cbc.ca    or   msn.com  or even the huffingtonpost.com? 

I assume the Chrome and IE ad blocking extensions only work when using the search engine but the ads will still come up when I go to the webpage I have searched for.  Is that correct?

No, you will not get any ad blocking extensions from Rogers. Enough said!

I only had Fanboy installed in IE before Adblock Plus became available. Now that Adblock Plus is available for IE, I have no use for Fanboy since Adblock Plus is much more effective. Besides I use Chrome 95% of the time. The other 5% is pretty much Firefox!

I do find that no matter what pages I visit, whether through a search engine or a link from my own bookmarks that well over 90% of all ads are removed using Adblock Plus or AdBlock - on ALL pages. I do not even get ads when watching something on You Tube (unless I am using my Smart TV and even that allows me to skip the ad after 5 seconds).