cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Review for Ignite internet.

Hollenbeck35
I've been around
Hello, my name is Tyler H and I wrote a bad review on your ingite hub app describing the terrible situation i am having regarding internet set up. As per your comment you have asked me to write in this forum. Everything i have said is true weather you think is does or doesn't seem right. Feel free to check my account, you will see that i still have an open ticket on the account. Several account support, and tech support workers claim to have escalated the issue. I've also had a tech worker at my place to hook up my internet and nothing is being resolved. I have been without service since sept 30th. I accepted your offer to switch internet to this provider on sept 27th with the expectation that id be up and running by that weekend. All I've been told since then is that it is a pending order and that engineers are working on it/ it will be resolved in 24 hrs time. I was told that for the third time today. Internet still does not work, situation is an absolute nightmare that no one seems like they are trying to fix. Half the time the help line workers forget that i have a modemn set up awaiting for you to allow access to the rogers network. Would strong recommend against switching to Rogers based on the lack of care for the situation for myself as we have been without internet for weeks and the extended amount of time it is taking to resolve a simple issue.
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Bad Review for Ignite internet.

RogersCorey

Greetings @Hollenbeck35!

I am sorry to hear of your experience. That is a long time to be waiting for services to be installed. A long wait like this could only result from extraordinary circumstances.

I'd like to investigate this matter further and see what I can do to help speed this along.

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

bmcdo
I've been here awhile
I don't want to discourage you. However, when you finally get your ignite internet up and running you may be very disapointed with the performance. If Rogers is renting you the XB7 Gateway, you will likely need to replace it with your own router to get reasonable wifi coverage.
I have the GPON service with fibre to the home (ftth). The signal strength, latency and jitter are awful. Even with direct ethernet I was getting half the expected speed. With the original Rogers setup location (typical corner basement and opposite to living room) I could only get 20 - 30 Mbps on a 150 plan. I temporarily ran a patch cable to the living area and moved the xb7. Performance improved somewhat, but was still unacceptable. I temporarily replaced the xb7 gateway with my 11 year old Asus RT-N66U router and was able to increase the speed to an average of 140 Mbps! But the latency and jitter were still unacceptable and there were 2 or 3 disconnects every day. Suspecting a problem with the Rogers installation, I replaced the new Rogers cables with a cheap cat6 cable I purchased at Princess Auto (yes Princess Auto!) and finally got the XB7 working! Now I get an average of 130 Mbps and a better latency and jitter reading. Not great but acceptable for now. My next step is to run new ethernet line from the Nokia ONT to a suitable location in the living area, buy a new router and return the XB7 and original patch cords to Rogers...
....or move to Bell.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bmcdo did you check to determine if the XB7 WAN port was set to ethernet instead of Coax?  With the Nokia ONT in operation ahead of the modem, the modem has to be set to use the ethernet port instead of the COAX port.  I don't know which specific port that would be but I presume thats its marked on the back of the modem or indicated in the user interface. 

I doubt that you can return the XB7 as the internet plans include the modem rental.  I'm not sure what the backend system would do if you attempted to return the modem and kept the ONT.  In the case where the customer was assigned a Nokia ONT, that would make sense, however, I doubt that the sensible course of action would have been programmed into the backend systems.    

bmcdo
I've been here awhile
There is no coaxial with the GPON. It can only be connected with a patch cable between the ONT and the 2.4 gig port on the XB7. The setting is auto in the XB7 interface. I tried setting it to ethernet only, but it made no difference.

There were several problems with the original Rogers installation : 1) poor quality connection between ONT and XB7 (3 cables within 10 feet); 2) cheap faulty cable/connectors; 3) very poor location for xb7; 4) poor quality gateway (no user controls, hense major channel conjestion plus I believe, faulty firmware); and 5) and likely some issues with backend setup (losing connections or interrupted signals.
If the XB7 is of no use to me (can't deliver or transmit an acceptable quantity signal at a decent rate) I should not have to pay $10 a month for its rental! At $120 a year I can buy a cheap router that will deliver a good quality signal for my modest needs (1080p streaming and good web browsing). A modem is not needed for a GPON setup, only a decent router with good security and properly located.

LFW1
I've been here awhile
We set up our Ignite modem easily enough on Sunday. Internet isn’t as good as the original Rogers internet we replaced, Zoom meetings freeze on wifi so we have to use the Ethernet cable for those.

Ignite TV is hot garbage. I have rarely been as angry and frustrated as I am just trying to watch TV. I am infuriated by having to use an app on my phone to *attempt* to exchange my flex channels. One of the most frustrating aspects is that you have to fill all of the 63 slots on the flex channels. You can’t proceed unless they are all filled. So initially we went through and deleted all the channels we didn’t want, and then had to add a bunch of . channels back to get to “63/63”.

We were perfectly happy with the package we had; only switched to Ignite because the price of our original package got jacked to an outrageous amount. I have NEVER been this unhappy saving $50 a month. Ignite is not an “upgrade” for us; quite the opposite. After 25 years as a loyal Rogers customer I think they’ve finally done it.

Hello, @LFW1

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

Its disappointing to hear that the Ignite TV service has not been working well for you since switching over. Can you describe where the modem is located in your home? It should be in a central location to get the best WiFi coverage. If that is not possible then you will benefit from the WiFi Pods which is a mesh WiFi solution. Most issues that users experience are related to poor WiFi connectivity.

Flex channels would need to be swapped in and out at the same time. You do have the option to exchange your flex channels using the Rogers.com website from a web browser if you do not like the app interface. 

Please provide us with more details about any additional issues you are facing so we can help you get things working better.

RogersTony

LFW1
I've been here awhile

What I would like is to not have to use an app/website at all. I would like to be able to add/delete channels using my Rogers remote directly on the TV itself. I would like to not need to fill up all the spaces available with flex channels in order to proceed. Just add the ones I want and if it is 10/63, so what? Now I have 53 more spots to add channels as I come across things I would like. It's super frustrating.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@LFW1 wrote:

I would like to be able to add/delete channels using my Rogers remote directly on the TV itself.

Background:  Rogers licenses this technology from Comcast, so it would take a lot of people in the US making this request to have it implemented.

It's not even possible to do this for regular channels on the TV/STB.  Most people go to the Rogers Website or use the App to delete a couple of Flex channels and add a couple back once in a while.  Not quite sure why you would delete all the Flex channels in the first place...

Any additional option costs additional money to implement, so unless there is a huge demand for an option, it's highly unlikely to be implemented.

You should probably give Ignite a chance because it has a lot of features that were not available with Legacy Digital Cable. It does take a bit of time to get used to anything new.

LFW1
I've been here awhile
We didn’t delete ALL the flex channels, just the ones we knew we’d never watch. We didn’t know that we had to have a “full” allotment of 63 channels selecta all times, when we started. Frankly we were surprised to see the flex channels pre-selected, as we expected that we would just add the ones we wanted. So it was a bit surprising to find 63 channels pre-selected for us and have to “exchange” them 1 for 1 immediately. We only watch about 5 channels regularly and 2 of them seem to be MIA altogether. I’ll keep it for awhile and probably start returning boxes (have 3) and eliminate home phone to get it to a better price point.

It’s inconvenient to have to move the modem to the main floor from the basement but I guess we will have to find an inconspicuous spot and give it a try.

Elife
I'm here a lot
Same totally negative experience with ignite. Can I just replace their modem with the Hitron modem? Will it work? I don't think so. I tried to connect router through ethernet, and it didn't work either.

Elife
I'm here a lot
We had a wonderful internet service with Shaw, but had to replace it by Ignite when Roges took over. The internet is bad even in the house, when before I could easily use it far outside. Interestingly, the older model of my phone has it better than the newer one, which drops it constantly. The icon shows that it's on, and you have to go to the settings every time to reset it. Moreover, my three laptops and a tablet can't see the network at all. I tried to change settings on the laptop, did numerous checks and tests, and nothing works. I tried to connect another modem or a router to the ignite (XB7) box, no changes. I checked the adaptors and drivers, all works fine and compatible with wifi 6 and 802.11n 2.4Ghz protocol. What else can I do? Shocked and disappointed and think what would have happened if I hadn't had my phone seeing their network. When I asked to return to the previous plan, they said since you connected ignite box, it's impossible. The system doesn't allow the return. Be cautious, if you don't have the latest model of the computer, or need it work everywhere in your home. Installing the latest version of windows doesn't work either.

Good evening @Elife,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

It's disappointing to hear about your recent migration and experience with the Rogers service so far. We would love to take a closer look into your service and find out why you're experiencing service issues. 

Please send us a private message @CommunityHelps and we'll be happy to assist you.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

RogersZia

My Internet is the most horrible experience I ever have. My modem will not allow one of my Linux computer to go.

online. After a few days of back and forth with Rogers tech support, there was no success.  I had to go because I had other things to do, but the most disturbing thing is that the tech said that he COULD SEE MY COMPUTER although I had the machine disconnected and sitting below another table at the time. This guy obviously lied to me. I believe that he wanted the 30-day grace period to run out so that I could be locked in the two-year plan. A similar situation happened with my TWO mobile lines. Completely disgusted with Rogers tech help, I took my mobile service to another provider --who is NOT affiliated to the Rogers network. If Rogers could show some civic maturity, I'd be glad to return this modem in a heart beat.

Hello @jangoram ,

Thanks for sharing your experience in the community, we are so sad to hear how displeased you've been with your internet service.  We'd love to try and turn this around for you, if we can. Feel free to send us a PM @CommunityHelps and we'll be happy to have a look to see what might causing this connection issue with your Linux equipment. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

I'll also tag in a few of our Resident Expert's, should they have any tips or insights they can share: @-G- @Datalink @Gdkitty 

Kind regards,

RogersYasmine

@jangoram  Do you have Parental Controls or Advanced Security enabled on your Ignite gateway?  If so, that could be causing problems for your Linux system, especially if it is configured to use a 3rd-party DNS service.  Parental Controls and Advanced Security use bogus DNS responses to block connections to forbidden sites... and they also block access to 3rd-party DNS services to prevent you from bypassing the security protections.  So... it is possible for your Linux system to be connected to the network but other factors may be preventing it from being able to communicate on the network.

Tauhi
I've been around

World’s worst internet service provider! I am having internet outage every week on Fridays. I am paying the highest rate for Rogers Ignite high speed unlimited internet. I work from home on Thursdays and Fridays. It has been more than a month now that I am getting Internet outages. Every time I call them to fix the issue and every time they tell me the same thing that there is an outage in that area for some reason. I am experiencing same issue now. I do not see any significant amount of credit for these outages since it’s happening every week. I mentioned them that I work from home. But it seems they don’t care. I think they do not want to continue their business with me any more and they want me to move to another company.

Good day @Tauhi,

Welcome to the Rogers Community and thank you for sharing your recent experience with your Rogers services. We greatly appreciate your feedback and want to make this right!

For assistance with any technical issues you may be experiencing, kindly let us know the symptoms that occur and the troubleshooting steps you've gone through so far.

We'll be more than happy to help you get the assistance you need.

Looking forward to your reply!

RogersMaude

Topic Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 14 in conversation