cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning IP on (W)LAN with Rogers Ignite Modem

BrianGee
I've been around

I'm looking to set up a static IP address for a couple of my devices so I can make simple shortcuts to them.

I understand that I could do this on the device itself, but the problem with that is if my network ever changes from the 10.0.0.xx address to something like 192.168.1.xx, I'd have to jump through a ton of hoops to get it working.

With other routers, there's a way to set a static internal IP address for the device that the router will remember after reboots etc.  Is this possible with the Rogers Ignite Modem.

***Added Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Assigning IP on (W)LAN with Rogers Ignite Modem

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @BrianGee!

Welcome to the community!

I hope you and your fam are doing well. You can assign/reserve IP's for connected devices on your network by logging into your Ignite modem :).

Username: Admin

Password: Your WiFi password

- Select Connected devices

- From here you can select "Edit" on any devices you would like to reserve an IP for.

- Under the Edit screen Change the configuration from DHCP to Reserved IP then assign an IP to the device.

- Reserved IP's, by default, need to be on the 10.0.0.x subnet between 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.253.

- This can be adjusted as needed under Gateway - Connection - Local IP Network

*note: Should you experience connectivity issues after this has been set up Rogers will not be able to provide assistance if DHCP is not in use.

I hope this helps!

@RogersAndy

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @BrianGee!

Welcome to the community!

I hope you and your fam are doing well. You can assign/reserve IP's for connected devices on your network by logging into your Ignite modem :).

Username: Admin

Password: Your WiFi password

- Select Connected devices

- From here you can select "Edit" on any devices you would like to reserve an IP for.

- Under the Edit screen Change the configuration from DHCP to Reserved IP then assign an IP to the device.

- Reserved IP's, by default, need to be on the 10.0.0.x subnet between 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.253.

- This can be adjusted as needed under Gateway - Connection - Local IP Network

*note: Should you experience connectivity issues after this has been set up Rogers will not be able to provide assistance if DHCP is not in use.

I hope this helps!

@RogersAndy

prdejong
I plan to stick around

Silly question for you. When you do this your only reserving the IP address, right?

This does not actually change the device to static does it?

What id like to do is set the IP address of the Ignite TV boxes to static IP say under ...20

I have some other things that are temporary static devices for testing that will always come in above ...100

An example of why i need this happen today i had a TV box DHCP to ...186 today which caused a conflict

with one of my temporary static device.

Anyway to write a static address to the WiFi TV boxes?

Hello, @prdejong.

Thank you for joining the discussion, and we appreciate your query. 

You can't set up a static IP at the TV box level, however, reserving the IP address as suggested by @RogersAndy above should serve the same purpose. Have you tried it yet?

You have to log in to the modem to reserve an IP address, this option is not available through the Ignite WiFi Hub app.

Let us know if you have any further questions. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin

prdejong
I plan to stick around

Actually yes i did. It keeps coming back with this response.        Failure! Please check your inputs.

Thinking there was an IPaddress conflict I ping'ed the address to make sure it was'nt being used. 

I also tried another address but it keeps saying this.

Lastly i'm doing this via hard line directly on the modem not through the APP.

same problem here.  fix it Rogers

this no longer works Andy... look into it

PeteyGee
I've been here awhile

Turns out the modem firmware will not accept a blank comment box when attempting to save a reserved IP setting.

Try setting your reserved ip again but try typing something in the comment box before hitting save.  (i entered the last three digits i wanted reserved in the comment box personally)  When i did so, it didn't give me a success message or any sign that it had worked.  It just sent me back to connected devices screen and still showed my device as DHCP.  It didn't give me any error messages though so that was a good sign. 

After it saves, the connected device will not show the reserved ip until you do an ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew in a command prompt.   Rebooting will probably accomplish the same thing if what i just suggested sounded like gibberish.   It'll just take longer.

prdejong
I plan to stick around

Thanks for your response, its still giving me grief.

Now what it does is it comes back with the following message.

IP has already been reserved for another device. Please try using another IP address

First off i tried this with multiple IP address' and keep getting the same result.

Each time i ping that new address to see if its being used and its not.

Next in your post you suggest release and renew, how do i do that being that i can;t get into the cable box let alone issue cmd prompt commands on them.?

bmacaskill
I plan to stick around

Assigning a static IP this way doesn't work. Even if I add text to the "Comments: " textbox at 10.0.0.1/connected_devices_computers.jst (as has been suggested elsewhere), the change does not stick.

What *does* work is a assigning a port forward at ignitewifi.rogers.com/network/advanced-settings/portforwarding/, which forces the router to take the assignee's current IP and, in the act of setting a port forward, reserve that IP.

But it's a little hacky, and requires that one arbitrarily pick an unlikely-to-be-used port number for an unnecessary port assignment, and that one accept the assignee's current IP rather than choose it.

Sigh. This is clearly an example of functionality in the router that is meant to work, but doesn't.

Hey RogersMoin please fix this as it no longer works and assigning static IP addresses for devices around your house (like a printer) is a super common requirement for regular customers.

This is a huge functionality gap...

Alternatively, most printers will support setting the IP statically on the printer itself.
I know some people dont like doing this, as the router does not specifically know that something is at that address, so could take split seconds longer when looking out for a device on that address.
But myself, I have one of my printer set this way, and I have never had a conflict or anything, where the modem trys to assign that address elsewhere.

os3rules
I plan to stick around

I recently added a wireless security camera to my network.  This device was given a DHCP-IP address by my router (Hitron).  I would like to change the address - make it a fixed IP address.  If I used the IP Reservation function of the router, how do I change the address since it has already been set?  I want to set the address outside the DHCP address range (restricted to10-100) because I want specific devices to be at specific places in the IP range.

bobbydee647
I've been here awhile

Found I'm having the same issue now. I had set my two Unifi AC Pro AP's to be .100 and .101 under "Reserved" and put comment as "Access Point". Upon restarting one of them, they became stuck as the reserved IP must have become unavailable or something. I had to factory reset the AP and will have to live with DCHP assignment for now (I guess).

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 in conversation