Are Texts with link to Roge.rs legit?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
User14
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Are Texts with link to Roge.rs legit?

I considered the text message that I received a potential form of spoofing or phishing.

The wording would be typical of a scammer and the fact that the Chat Line could not tell me if it was legitimate or not was rather disappointing. A seach for the 4 digit text number didn't produce anything either.

Some people may not question these types of messages especially when they have an embedded link oin them like this message did. When "roge.rs" is used in the link it raised a red flag because the use of "Roge.rs" is not explained anywhere.  Emails and texts such as this can be confusing to the receiver of the message or email. Can Rogers not provide Security Information on their website about receiving suspicious emails and messages from Rogers? A seach of the site produces nothing useful or informative.

I did receive the info below via the Community Forum for a suspicious email but as a Rogers "policy" shouldn't it be more visible?

To protect yourself against potential scams:

• Be aware of emails asking for your credit card, account number, or personal information like user names or passwords.
  • Never respond to emails asking you to click on an embedded link to validate or confirm your details.
  • Never respond to scare tactics such as threats that your account will expire if you don't respond, or promises that your computer memory will be increased if you do.
jake1995
I've Been Here Awhile

Your answer sounds like a bunch of RS. You go through a service that uses a foreign domain to save 3 digits in your legitamate domain name? This doesn't ring true! More like a story to hide outsourcing jobs. If what you say is true, you are risking being seen as sending Canadian jobs over seas to make a buck. A bad idea, if you like Canadian customers.

jake1995
I've Been Here Awhile

I Bing-searched this, and ended up here. They said they run their texts through a service that shortens their domain name to help us. All that confusion, and what looks like a foriegn domain, to save 3 digits? I don't believe it. They appear to be outsourcing jobs, internationally. I might have to block this, it is unsolicited ads at best.

jake1995
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the heads up. They told me they used a service to shorten their domain name. All that to save 3 digits?

jake1995
I've Been Here Awhile

Why are you hiring a Serbian company to do work Canadians could do? .rs is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Serbia. The domain name registry that operates it is the Serbian National Internet Domain Registry (RNIDS). The letters rs stand for Republika Srbija/Република Србија (Republic of Serbia).

It is intended to be used with few restrictions, and it is widely used in Serbia. Because of English words ending with the letters "rs", this domain is also used in the construction of domain hacks.[
HHenson
I've Been Here Awhile

I would strongly recommend against using these shortened URLs. There are so many scammers out there that I almost deleted your message.
RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @HHenson

Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your feedback and suggestion. We will definitely pass it along to the right team to take into consideration.

RogersPrasana

User5634
I've Been Around

The address at the bottom of your text is incorrect. The country should be Canada, not United States of America.