cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving Mail

Maxx
I've been here awhile

Guys

I have thousands of emails in folders. Is it possible to Archive them all to an external destination such as a hard drive or other email account? Unfortunately I am moving to a place where I cannot have rogers anymore and I'd hate to manually move them all to hotmail or something like it...

Thanks in advance

Maxx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Archiving Mail

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I second what Gdkitty said. I used to do this at least ONCE to TWICE a year get in the habit of archiving my email account. I would go even further and if you select all the messages from your inbox, and drag them into a folder, it copies each individual message as a .MSG file and I would back up each individual message into a folder, zip it or archive it to DVD.

Because I had a small registered business I was required to keep a copy of my financial records for a good 7 years I also kept electronic copies of my emails because I had quotes and such in there and was required to keep a record of them so why the heck not just copy all my email and back it up right? so this is what I Did!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RogersCorey

Greetings and welcome to our Community @Maxx!

Backing up your emails for safety or offline use is a good idea. Since Yahoo Mail doesn't have an export feature, it's important to understand what options are available.

I know you were hoping for an easy solution but these are the options open to you.

Regards,

RogersCorey

I agree, if you are not already using one, is to use a 3rd party program, even windows mail (or a better one like outlook etc) to download them.

You will want to do the POP setup, where it will download a local copy (vs imap where its more of a sync).  With a little bit of work,  you might even be able to connect your new email address to that same and be able to access those existing ones and reply to them, etc.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I second what Gdkitty said. I used to do this at least ONCE to TWICE a year get in the habit of archiving my email account. I would go even further and if you select all the messages from your inbox, and drag them into a folder, it copies each individual message as a .MSG file and I would back up each individual message into a folder, zip it or archive it to DVD.

Because I had a small registered business I was required to keep a copy of my financial records for a good 7 years I also kept electronic copies of my emails because I had quotes and such in there and was required to keep a record of them so why the heck not just copy all my email and back it up right? so this is what I Did!

Maxx
I've been here awhile

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I will look into a 3rd party app...

Maxx

Really?! Many businesses and personal users have 1000's of messages that need to be backed up or moved. Most don't have time or the knowledge to complete what is being suggested. I would think a tech company will have a resolution to this which makes sense to the everyday layman who uses Yahoo/Rogers mail. If there has been an update to the process I would appreciate knowing what it is so I can back up some mail. Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Houlahoop : Most businesses use an e-mail client like Outlook which duplicates what's on Webmail and that would be on a computer/laptop.  In this way you can back-up the entire computer and/or back-up all of Outlook, including contacts, e-mails, calendar events, etc to a .PST or similar file.

An individual could use an e-mail app like say Mail on a tablet or phone. This would then "download" all of your e-mails to that device and you would then have a backup on your device.  You can also then backup your device to the cloud or  laptop or desktop computer.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 6 in conversation