Any way to disable IPv6 on Hitron CGN3AMR or other ways to prevent IPv6 attacks?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Any way to disable IPv6 on Hitron CGN3AMR or other ways to prevent IPv6 attacks?

@Octo23

I have little more to say other than what I have already said.

I agree about absense of communication from Rogers, but this is not new - you will find that concern all over the forum threads.

I can only suggest that you contact them directly and express this concern, as this board is user to user support, not run by Rogers and does not deal with individual concerns - for that you have to communicate directly with Rogers.

I too wouldn't try to explain any of this to my 82 year old father-in-law either.  He has higher level purchased firewalls at the software level in place and beyond that he asked me and I said, I see no concern at this time, but feel free to contact the store that supports you with their techs.

You will soon find that you cannot turn off IPv6 (well over the next 10 years anyway) off. But for now, if your device allows for it, you can turn it off at the device level, or purchase one of the recommended ASUS routers and bridge the gateway to the router and turn it off there.

So I just wanted to finish by saying, limited communication is not that uncommon for Rogers, that they have Engineering experts working with the Hitron router and beta testers here dealing with a number of questions with performance, and some questions on IPv6 too.

I am at my limits of knowledge, but if you are concerned, keep researching, keep asking, and communicate your concerns directly to Rogers.  It is ok to express them here, but as a user board, what you are saying may not make it to Rogers.

All the best in feeling secure,  Bruce

Network Architect
Network Architect

Re: Any way to disable IPv6 on Hitron CGN3AMR or other ways to prevent IPv6 attacks?

Good morning Community,

You are absolutely right in your observations regarding the operation of IPv6 in our gateway. It is the normal practice for major ISPs and carriers around the world and carriers around the world.

Each modem is allocated a 64 bits prefix out of a 128 bits address space. This means that each modem has 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 IPv6 addresses to allocate to the local network and a computer or device gets a single one out of this pool, randomly allocated. For an attacker, it would require them to scan all the possible addresses in that space to find a target and this would take a very long time (longer than the address is valid for). Furthermore, most modern operating system implement security at the host level.

That being said, we have heard concerns from our customers and have started implementing IPv6 firewalls in accordance to RFC 6092 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6092). There is a first version of this firewall available in firmware version 2.0.10.24 of the CODA-4582. This version provides filtering but limited flexibility for user control. The full scale of RFC6092 should be implemented in a subsequent firmware release.

We are also working with Hitron to implement the same changes in all other Hitron modems in the next firmware release which should be available in the March / April timeframe this year.

Dave

I've Been Here Awhile

Yes the large pool of addresses provided makes scanning the range impractical. However there are other ways to find IPv6 addresses that are in use.

https://isc.sans.edu/forums/diary/Targeted+IPv6+Scans+Using+poolntporg/20681/

I've Been Around

Any way to disable IPV6 for Xbox?

I need to disable IPV6 for my Xbox because FIFA 17 does not work online using that option, I used to use IPV4 with my last ISP and it worked fine but since switching to Rogers IPV6 it does not anymore, I have been told the Hitron router supports both IPV4 and 6. If I assign my Xbox a static IP and DNS that are IPV4 IP and DNS will that force the console to use IPV4.

If this is not possible I will need to buy a new router and use my Rogers one as a bridge, so can you suggest some third party routers that are IPV4 or have the option to turn of IPV6?

Thank You 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@an0811 if you go third party for a router I would suggest either of these:

TP-Link C3150

Asus RT-AC1900P (Bestbuy Exclusive)

I have had both, the TP-Link has excellent coverage, it's also MU-MIMO Compatible, and is very fast. Over WiFi it's the only router I've ever been able to speed test over 800mb/s. The Rogers gateway and the Asus were both similiar maxing out around 550-600mb/s over WiFi.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Dave,

Any update on this? When would this be coming to CGN3ACR routers?

Thanks,

Ahmed.

Network Architect
Network Architect

@ahmeds wrote:

Hi Dave,

Any update on this? When would this be coming to CGN3ACR routers?

Thanks,

Ahmed.

It is included in the next firmware on both the CODA and the "AC" series routers.

This firmware will be made available as part of the trial firmware program at first and eventually will be rolled out to production. You can register for the firmware trial program by sending a private message to @CommunityHelps including your modem MAC address and serial number.

Dave

Network Architect
Network Architect

I have been doing a little more reasearch regarding FIFA and would like more information.

Can anybody confirm if this is happening only on XBOX or it is also happening on other platforms?

I have seen reports of this on CGN3ACR and I believe on CODA. In the case of CODA, the production firmware has an IPv6 firewall but for other modems, it really depends on the version of firmware. So to help me investigate this further, would it be possible to provide the Rogers modem model you are using and the firmware version.

Gaming console:

Modem Type:

Modem Firmware:

Dave

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Dave. I have sent my details to CommunityHelps.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I am having the same issue but wih a different game, Mass Effect Andromeda. Using a Hitron CGN3ACR and Xbox One.

The multiplayer cannot handle IPv6 P2P connections so I can't play a single game. This is an EA Games problem, yet they continue to blame ISP providers. 

Is there any way to disable IPv6 in my router settings? Seems like the only way to make the game work is if I force an IPv4 connection, or create some sort of conflict, but there is't any option to do that throught the xbox.

The online community has a work around for this, here's a link http://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/You-have-lost-connection-to-the-host-I-can-not-play-a-sing...

Seems like a lot of work every time I want to play online, and honestly I don't trust myself not to mess up my settings and break the internet for everyone else in my household.  

Any suggestions?