Any chance Rogers starts using a new modem/router or the CGN3 gets new firmware soon?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Any chance Rogers starts using a new modem/router or the CGN3 gets new firmware soon?

I've had persistent problems since I got the CGN3 with constant disconnects from a game I play and its online messenger portion. I didn't have this issue AT ALL on the previous modem and package I had so it's extremely frustrating. I don't feel I should have to go buy a $200 router and put the CGN3 in bridge mode, I'm already paying for the CGN3 rental.

*edit* can't change the title but I mean firmware

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Any chance Rogers starts using a new modem/router or the CGN3 gets new formware soon?

I don't think there will be a new option anytime soon - the only obvious possibility would be the CGN4, which is similar to the CGN3 but with 802.11ac Wifi. I would guess the CGN4's firmware shares most bugs with the CGN3. I don't think there are too many other 24+-channel alternatives from non-Hitron manufacturers.

(As for Rogers bringing back a straight modem for a lower price, that has been endlessly discussed in this forum. It will never happen for as long as the competition offers 'free wifi' and non-techie customers would feel ripped off if the cheapest hardware option from Rogers didn't offer that.)

Look, you may call me a Rogers apologist, but life is short. If you do the math on the CGN3's cost and what you can estimate the cost of a similar-spec straight modem to be, you're basically getting a $50 (retail) router, IIRC, maybe even less. Most routers in that price range that I have had experience with... are garbage. I don't think the CGN3 is measurably better/worse than those. So, if you have higher-end needs than that (and most people do), go pick up a solid, high-end router with firmware that isn't trash (I, and many others around here, love the Asus RT-AC68U), put your CGN3 in bridge mode (and buy one for $150 - $50 gift card next time Future Shop/Best Buy has that promo, you'll break even in under a year), and go spend the rest of the day with your family.

And at least be 'happy' that Rogers offers bridge mode - many other ISPs only offer gateway boxes that are just as flawed as the CGN3, but that can't be put in bridge mode. Oops. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Any chance Rogers starts using a new modem/router or the CGN3 gets new formware soon?

Thats kind of the way i look at it.

ANY ISP, weither rogers, or any other the other TPIA ones, who DONT use gateways and modem only... they all make you rent or buy the modem...
And then you get your router or choice, ontop of that, which you need to pay for.

That some of the ISPs use gateways now... is a BONUS really, that you can use it IF it will work for you.

And if not, you always can go with the 3rd party router, like most providers you have to anyways.
(which usually gives you more options anyways)

I Plan to Stick Around

So you suggest the ASUS RT-AC68U? I was reading reviews and some of the new ones were saying the ASUS RT-AC87U was a great one but I assume it's a newer model of the 68U. I don't see them at Futureshop or Best Buy so I guess I'll have to browse newegg. I guess I'll have to pursue this.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@halldorr wrote:

So you suggest the ASUS RT-AC68U? I was reading reviews and some of the new ones were saying the ASUS RT-AC87U was a great one but I assume it's a newer model of the 68U. I don't see them at Futureshop or Best Buy so I guess I'll have to browse newegg. I guess I'll have to pursue this.

I would not call the RT-AC87U a 'newer version'. The RT-AC87U runs a Quantenna chipset; the RT-AC68U runs Broadcom 802.11ac. I suspect they are quite different beasts under the hood, both in terms of firmware and hardware, even if they display a similar interface to the user. 

Everyone around here knows of my enthusiastic support for the RT-AC68U. I have one here running in access point mode; my parents have one in full-router mode behind a bridged CGN2 (yes, it's sad, the gateway mode in the CGN2 isn't even passable for a non-technical couple in their 60s). Both have performed flawlessly, unlike just about any other consumer-grade 'router' I have used in the previous decade. Range on the RT-AC68U, especially at 5GHz, is phenomenal too. 

Others on this forum (jimboden, Datalink, a few others?) have had the RT-AC68U and I believe have been equally pleased.

The AC87U, as I said, is different in the internals. It costs significantly more (low $300s when the 68U can be had for $200-220, try Staples too). Its main benefit (4-stream 802.11ac) is essentially useless because there are no client devices out there with 4-stream 802.11ac. I don't believe anyone on this forum has any experience with it, so who knows how it performs in the real world... 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The difference in a nutshell is that the ASUS RT-AC87U is Multi-User Multi Input, Multi Output ready (MU-MIMO). MIMO indicates that the router can handle multiple data streams at a time, typically one antenna per data stream. That is how you end up with higher data rates for laptops, 300 Mb/s for a connection rate is typical, with two receiving antenna and two transmitting antenna in operation, and as a result, two data streams running. Normally the transmit and receive antenna are one in the same. Newer wifi routers are typically MIMO, but they only do that with one single remote client at a time. So each remote client has to wait its turn for transmit / receive opportunities. The RT-AC68U, which is a very good router, is Single User MIMO. The next generation routers, now hitting the market are Multi User MIMO, able to handle multiple clients simultaneously.

Tied in with Single and Multi User MIMO is beamforming capability, both implicit and explicit. Explicit requires an 802.11ac client to work with. Implicit operates with the router determining, on its own, where the client is in relation to the router. In both cases the end result is higher signal levels and signal to noise ratios on the receive side of the circuit, enabling both router and client to run at faster data rates. With the newer routers comes higher capacity signal encoding as well, which contributes to faster data rates as well.

At the end of the day, the question is, “is it worth spending the extra money on the AC87U?” Do you have enough mobile devices running that happen to be capable of higher data rates (think 802.11ac) that it would make a difference to run the AC87U? If you take the long view, that a: you’re going to buy a router now no matter what, and, b: that you’re going to have that router for many years to come and buy many more mobile devices in the future, then, possibly buying an AC87U at this time makes perfect sense.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wayner92 wrote:

How about the Cisco 24x8 modem?

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/2116...

Does that thing actually exist? As in, someone somewhere is actually offering these to customers? 

6 months ago, I would be cheering for that. Now that I bought a CGN3... I am not so sure Smiley Happy

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I am not sure if anyone is using it yet, I think this is what Teksavvy was going to use for their higher end tiers, but I don't know if it is shipping yet.  If it isn't it is many months delayed.

I Plan to Stick Around

A couple of weeks past I replaced my girlfriend's CGN3, as it looked like it was an issue with the CGN3. (crappy upload/good download speeds). At that time there was talk that there was going to be a new FW release...

The other night the lastest update was dowloaded to the CGN3 (4.2.4.5). I am really not sure what that was supposed to fix, but I do know it didn't fix browsing the device and using the tabs. With both FF and IE, it is very slow to disaply just about anything. I coudn't even get the router to display attached devices, which I know I could in 4.2.4.3. I have the CGN3 in gateway mode (for easier troubleshooting purposes).

As for selling / renting all in one WIFI routers to customers, (with sub-par WIFI chipsets ) be it Rogers, or whomever, this is the biggest Epic Fail ever. It is just crap - the quality, the quality assurance, the whole experience. The only reason they get away with it, is because of the monopoly. The only quick fix for most of the issues, is "bridge it". Luckily there are some (margianlly better) Home / Enterprise devices out there, that we have to go and buy, because the crap the ISP's push out is utter garbage.. 

These things never, ever, work the way the are supposed to, but they keep jamming them down everyone's throat. Everytime they push out an update, they cross their fingers and hope.. I just pitty the people who take the ISP's word about the what they are being sold and the device never works as intended. Sadly, most people most people don't even know how crappy it is. If you are used to crap, how would you know the difference?