cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any One Have 1Gbps Download1 50Mbps Upload Yet

hiho
I Plan to Stick Around

just wondering if anyone has this yet and if so what do you think of it?

***Edited Labels***

111 REPLIES 111

Re: Any One Have 1Gbps Download1 50Mbps Upload Yet

Alex4161
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hello,

I did some more speedtests, and this is the fastest I have seen so far @ 3:45 AM LOL with my 1 Gbit profile:

speed.jpg

Mind you, my PC's are 5 to 8 years old (albeit with Gigabit network card and SSD drives) so I am not sure if that is the issue or not. Transferring files internally using windows homenetwork gets me around 740 mbits on the 8 year old desktop and 960 mbits on the laptop with CAT 6 cabling.

Is the Rogers network running slow or is it my PC's?  I have a service ticket open with a tech to check the network speeds but am not sure if they are gonna charge me if they say my systems are too old and their network is fine. How would the avg. user know if their network is fine or over capacity if Rogers don't want to admit it.

@Alex4161 the only real way to determine if your network pc's or laptops or other devices would be okay at higher data rates is to run an iperf test between them to check the throughput. In the case of your laptop, if your transferring data in or out via the local network above 900 Mb/s, then its reasonable to expect the same from the gigabit service.  If the laptop is the highest performing pc/laptop on your network, then that should be the test device to test data rates thru the modem. 

bfeist
I've Been Here Awhile

Is the 50Mbit upstream advertised with the Gigabit package achievable for anyone here? I can't get past 20Mbps and was told by Rogers Support that this was "normal". Not cool.

forbsy
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers should just advertise 100Gbps down and up, and be done with it. They can always use the, "everything looks great from our side. It could be a myriad of things on your side. Its normal to see 30-50% actual speeds".

Alex4161
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I have not used iperf and not sure how to use it.  I just transferred a file from 1 pc to the other and opened task manager in windows 10 and it tells me the network speed in Mbps which seems useful enough.

Here is something interesting tho:  When I run the speedtest, the speed I see in the download/upload, is not the same as the Network speed in Task Manager.  i.e.. if speedtest shows me 380 Mbps, task manager shows me over 500 Mbps.  Why is there a difference?

emodz
I've Been Here Awhile
If that's the case then then shouldn't mind only charging you the ignite 500 rate...

DaveFro
I Plan to Stick Around

Mine has been great the last few months, my signals are not what would typically be considered excellent, but are within the +- 10 range. This is wired, wireless is about half on AC right beside the WAP.

Also note that modem is bridged with a Ubiquiti UAP and USW.

ScreenShot1.jpg

View solution in original post

Topic Stats