cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any One Have 1Gbps Download1 50Mbps Upload Yet

hiho
I Plan to Stick Around

just wondering if anyone has this yet and if so what do you think of it?

***Edited Labels***

111 REPLIES 111

Re: Any One Have 1Gbps Download1 50Mbps Upload Yet

Datalink
Resident Expert

I think that most people will find the Rogers Speedtest and Speedtest.net's Toronto Telus server to be reasonably close to each other.  I don't understand why you see such a large discrepancy between the two.  Are you running the test on Firefox or Chrome?  If I don't have Adobe Flash loaded on a particular pc or laptop, I use Chrome as Flash is baked in, so to speak.  

Without Flash, and using Firefox, speedtest directs you to the beta testsite where you're directed to some sites that produce terrible results.  Using the beta site the first set of results i ended up with were terrible.  Then switching to the Toronto Teksavvy server, I end up with 17 ms latency, download of 747.23 Mb/s and upload of 3.23 Mb/s, which is a really terrible result on the upload side.  Eastlink's site at Barrie ends up with 18 ms latency, 723.28 Mb/s download and 3.54 Mb/s upload, again, terrible on the upload side.  Switching sites after the first test seemed to pick up the download rate but the download rates remained very low.

So, you have to be careful of what you have loaded, Flash and possibly Java on your pc, and then which browser you use, and then, which server you use.

Hope this helps.

nl2
I Plan to Stick Around

Flash 21 installed. File date is April 2016. Dslreports is pure html5. Had my first power reset to recover lost lan port. Modem uptime was a brief 9 hours with minimal traffic. Firmware 4.5.8.19

Datalink
Resident Expert

If you have a look at the following thread, you can follow the provided link to request Firmware Version 4.5.8.21, which will solve the dead LAN port problem.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3315...

nl2
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes. It is a top post. No thank you. The lan port drop out is a known problem and fix. More interested to measure Rogers service level by modem uptime.

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

I just upgraded to 500u last week and have the gigabit modem - I'm getting good speeds on a wired connection, but the wireless speeds are terrible - when I was on 250u I was getting around 150Mbps on my laptops, and now with the gigabit modem I'm only getting around 20 - 30 Mbps, and sometimes even lower than that. I've moved the modem around, I've changed channels, rebooted - all to no avail. I'm not in a highly congested area (surrounded by seniors) and right now I'm on a channel noone else is using and am still getting terrible wifi speeds. This is on 2.4Ghz.  The only change on my end is this new modem, and the 500u profile (from 250u)

I've tried speedtests on 2 laptops and a chromebook and all have the same results.

Could the modem be defective?

Topic Stats