cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any One Have 1Gbps Download1 50Mbps Upload Yet

hiho
I Plan to Stick Around

just wondering if anyone has this yet and if so what do you think of it?

***Edited Labels***

111 REPLIES 111

Re: Any One Have 1Gbps Download1 50Mbps Upload Yet

Nope.  I'm not sure if thats because of the network power cycling up and down, or possibly the wifi card in the laptop having a hard time with the dual networks. 

Just for the heck of it, assuming that the modem is still in place and running, call tech support again.  This time you will end up with a different CSR.  See if the CSR that answers the call knows how to turn off the Home Monitoring Network.  Its worth a shot and might save you a drive to the local Rogers store.

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

I went ahead and exchanged the modem - might as well not have bothered - nothing's changed Smiley Sad

the signal still dips - in fact, when I'm running a speed test and see that the speed is 2Mbps, I can see in the inSSIDer program that the signal dipped

and the mystery network is still there

I'm on hold right now waiting to see if they can turn off the mystery network, even though the tech from this afternoon said it wasn't there Smiley Mad

running out of ideas - right now I see my only remaining option would be to switch back to 250u and the other modem and then cross my fingers that I can get things back to what they were

NorthGraves
I Plan to Stick Around

A couple of tests I ran from Kanata (Ottawa), Ontario:

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5384283747

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5386970921

Notice how UL changes depending on whatever.

Congratulations, I think you may have found a bug.  I switched my CGNM-3552 TO Gateway mode and enabled the 2.4 Ghz wifi.  I ended up with the same situation, a ghost network transmitting at the same time.  inSSIDer indicates two SSIDs transmitting.  No combination of reboots, cycling the 2.4 Ghz wifi On and Off or running the 5 Ghz network at the same time solved the problem.  The received power of the 2.54 Ghz network is very unstable.  I'll pass this along to the engineering staff to have a look at.

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

thank you for checking that!  I was getting so frustrated because I know that nothing changed at my end other than the modem!  Neither of the tech support people that I spoke with could see the mystery network and I think they thought I was nuts.  I was beginning to think so too, but then I checked with a wifi analyzer on my phone and I could see the mystery network there too, so I knew it was real

and the fact that you can see that 2.4ghz is unstable just solidifies what I've been seeing.  My husband couldn't even watch netflix last night on the chromecast as it just wouldn't load, so I did a speed test on his laptop (what he was using to cast to the chromecast) and it was only getting around 2 Mbps!  It's like they forgot to enable all of the transmitters or something 

I don't think the 5ghz is up to snuff either - I have a chromebook that gets 5ghz, and a speedtest gets around 160Mbps - while I don't expect the full 500Mbps on wireless, I do think it should be faster than 160

hopefully there's some light at the end of the tunnel because the 2.4ghz is pretty much unusable for anything other than surfing

I was going to ask if you had another device to check that with, but I see that you already have.  That confirms thats its not just an artifact of some type that is broadcasting.  I'm wondering why we're the only users of the CGNM-3552 that are seeing this?  Are you using the maximum number of characters allowed for both the Network Name and Passphrase.  They will hold 32 characters for the name and 63 or 64 characters for the passphrase, depending on what type of characters are used.  This might also be a problem with the wifi controller, well beyond any user settings.

Just to note, having the ability to receive a 5 Ghz network doesn't guarantee fast wifi.  That really depends on the number of antenna that the device has which allows it to transmit or receive one data stream per antenna.  The more antenna on the device, the higher the number of data streams that can be transmitted or received, to a point where other components come into play, such as the processor speed and memory onboard.  We have a laptop that won't go beyond 200/210 Mb/s wired or wireless, even though we're running gigabit service.  Our desktops or gaming laptops go far beyond that.  So, each device has to be looked at to determine what the wifi components are and what those specs are, in order to have some idea of whether or not the transmit or receive rates are reasonable.

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

my network name has 7 characters and my password has 8 characters

I have 3 laptops and a chromebook that I've done speedtests on, and a cellphone and they were pretty much the same results - the chromebook has both 2.4 & 5ghz and I did speedtests with both

SickBeast
I Plan to Stick Around

I am getting similar speeds on the 2.4ghz band with the new gigabit modem.  You should try to use the 5ghz AC band if you can.  You might need to upgrade the wifi in your laptop.  You can get the Intel 7260 AC wifi cards off Ebay for about $25 and then you will get around 400mbps speeds over the wifi.  The 5ghz AC performance on the new modem is outstanding but the 2.4ghz performance is quite poor.

New to Gigabit service

Good evening:

My very first post!  I am not a tech savvy person so please treat me like a 5 year old (no disrespect intended to savvy 5 year olds!).

I signed up for the new Gigabit internet service.

I realize that Rogers says "upto" 1 Gigabit - I understand that I wont get one gigabit but here is what I am getting on my WIRED connection:

On speedtest.net:

520 down + 12 up.

I dont think this is acceptable.

I spoke to tech support and they told me that everything looks good from their end.

So, I am reaching out to the community experts for help and advice.

Here is my current setup:

Modem: Hitron CGNM-3552

Router:  Netgear Nighthawk R7000.

Ethernet connection: Desktop to router, router to modem.

Tech support told me that the WIFI on the modem has been disabled.

Any help would be apprecited.

I'm sure that any tech savvy 5 year olds are not feeling any disrespect 🙂  And ..... welcome to the forum.

Ok, can you have a look at my post #2 on this page which I just posted in answer to another forum member in your situation as well.  Hopefully this will contain enough instructions to prove out your gigabit service and start any troubleshooting required to sort out any problems.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/336...

Does this have something to do with what you were asking?

Section:

WAN Setup:

Nat Filtering: There is a box that can be checked next to:  Disable SIP ALG - presently this is UNCHECKED.

Then it says: Secured or Open - Secured is indicated.

No that is for a VOIP phone.  If you don't disable it, the router will use the Netgear implementation of the signalling protocol for the VOIP phone.  There are apparently, different versions of this signalling protocol in use.  So, if you have a VOIP phone, you would forward the necessary VOIP phone ports to a static IP LAN address that you assign to the phone and "enable" the Disable SIP ALG function.  That will allow the specific version of the signalling protocol, as used by the VOIP phone providor to pass thru the router, unchanged by the router, enroute to the VOIP phone, and the phone should work as intended.

I'm looking for the NAT Acceleration setting on the router.  You may have to check that the router firmware is running the latest Netgear version and possibly ask a question in the Netgear forum about this.  From what I gathered, reading thru the manual, you would have to know about this function and just know that it can be unintentionally disabled by some functions.  I didn't see any method of determining its Enabled or Disabled state.  I can only conclude that you would have to reset back to factory defaults (with the vast majority of functions disabled as a result of the reset) to determine if the CTF / NAT Acceleration was Enabled as a factory default.  If so, you should see higher data rates if your test device will support those rates.

nl2
I Plan to Stick Around

Subscribed to 1 Gbps down/50Mbps up a week ago. I would not be complaining if my throughput was only 20Mbps down/20Mbps up in the real world. It seems like I have a 10Mbps down and 2Mbps up connection even though the speed test results indicate otherwise.

My conclusion is from conducting the same tests many times and comparing with another ISP with endpoints at Microsoft, Google, UWaterloo and peer to peer. When connected to another ISP, the tests were able to max out the connection speed of 15Mbps down/1Mbps up. By switching to the 1 Gbps plan, my download speed has actually dropped from 15Mbps to just 10Mbps.

Technical support is satisfied that my speedcheck.rogers.com tests shows 700Mbps down/30Mbps up. These speeds cannot be verified by any other source.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you run a test using the speedtest.net Toronto Telus server and let me know what the results are?

netwrks
I Plan to Stick Around

@Spirit84 wrote:

New to Gigabit service

Good evening:

My very first post!  I am not a tech savvy person so please treat me like a 5 year old (no disrespect intended to savvy 5 year olds!).

I signed up for the new Gigabit internet service.

I realize that Rogers says "upto" 1 Gigabit - I understand that I wont get one gigabit but here is what I am getting on my WIRED connection:

On speedtest.net:

520 down + 12 up.

I dont think this is acceptable.

I spoke to tech support and they told me that everything looks good from their end.

So, I am reaching out to the community experts for help and advice.

Here is my current setup:

Modem: Hitron CGNM-3552

Router:  Netgear Nighthawk R7000.

Ethernet connection: Desktop to router, router to modem.

Tech support told me that the WIFI on the modem has been disabled.

Any help would be apprecited.

You should ensure your Rogers router / modem combo is in brdige mode.  Here' info I wrote on another page today RE: R7000 routers..

------------------------------------

As Datalink has discussed, enabling QoS, disables Cut Through Forwarding (CTF), and moves all traffic through the CPU. When the traffic is CPU bound, you will have less overall throughput / performance. Tho check to see if you have QoS enabled connect to R7000, and uncheck QoS settings: ADVANCED > Setup > QoS Setup > Upstream QoS. 

Your phone wifi - ensure you are using channel 1,6, or 11 for 2.4ghz - for 5ghz, select a high channel (149-161). 

Ensure 24.ghz and 5ghz wireless modes are set to defaults: 

2.4 GHz, Up to 600 Mbps is the default setting.

At 5 GHz, Up to 1300 Mbps is the default setting.

Ensure WMM is enabled for wireless clients 

R7000 Manual    QoS - page 41 - WMM - Page 51.  Wireless settings - Pages 105 - 106.

I'm not running gig service yet, nor do I run the R7000's I have in router mode  - all in AP mode, running 3rd party firmware. Depending on the stock firmware you are running, I have read that some user's are getting around 900+Mbps.

If you decide to stay with NG stock firmware, I would suggest checking the NG web site to ensure you are running the latest firmware, as NG has released new fw for the R7000, recently. If you go the stock router and update with newer NG firmware, ensure you reset your router to factory default after firmware update, it will save you alot of grief.

As an alternative to DD-WRT, (which IMO, is a bit convoluded - i run it on another router) I would suggest running Xvortex/ Merlin port firmware. It is intuitive, feature rich, and very easy to port. Asuswrt-Merlin link 

nl2
I Plan to Stick Around

All tests done with CGNM3552 in bridge mode and stripped down computer.

ATM,

beta.speedtest.net to Toronto, Rogers server

ping 41ms, 46Mbps down 11 Mbps up

www.speedtest.net to Toronto, Telus server

ping 62ms, 72Mbps down 11 Mbps up

speedcheck.rogers.com

latency 30ms, 513Mbps down 30Mbps up

Not looking for just an ego massage. The fact is my downloads are capped to 6Mbps - 10Mbps the past week. I plug the ethernet into another ISP modem and I get 15Mbps as advertised.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you running the tests on Firefox without Flash loaded on your pc?  if so, do you have Chrome loaded and if yes to that question, can you try a speedtest.net test using Chrome in order to get away from the beta test?

nl2
I Plan to Stick Around

Chrome Version 51.0.2704.84

Real world test. Download 655mb file from 10Gbps endpoint confirms 9Mbps speed.

<snip> removed 3rd party link

rogers 1ga.PNG

5398432764.png

nl2
I Plan to Stick Around

After 3 calls to support, tech is still adamant that my internet connection should be working fine. Not sure if it is related but tonight my WAN IP has changed. I usually get assigned the same IP after a modem power reset. For the first time in a week, I tested 200 mbps for a 655 MB file download.

5404802209.png

NorthGraves
I Plan to Stick Around

UL changes from 20 to 35 to 50, depending on I have no clue what. All tests run to the same location. Best UL I had so far:

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5396769469.png

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you're getting 915/43 on a consistent basis, then the modem is delivering a pretty good data rate.  You're not going to see 1 Gb/s on a test or download due to the overhead messaging requirements for TCP/IP.  I would have to figure out what the max delivered data rate would be without that overhead.  

So, with a good data rate, as shown on a speedtest, you're now facing the reality of the net, and that is the fact that internet servers aren't necessarily going to provide you with gigabit delivery rates.  Most of them probably cap the outbound data rate at something far less than that.  Throw in the distance to those servers and you end up with much less than 1 Gb/s, which greatly annoys the end user.

Topic Stats