cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any One Have 1Gbps Download1 50Mbps Upload Yet

hiho
I Plan to Stick Around

just wondering if anyone has this yet and if so what do you think of it?

***Edited Labels***

111 REPLIES 111

Re: Any One Have 1Gbps Download1 50Mbps Upload Yet

hiho
I Plan to Stick Around

dang must have missed that one only one i could see was this

Get fast speeds and unlimited usage with a Rogers IgniteTM 100u Internet + Basic TV + Local Home Phone bundle for $99.99/mo for 24 months* on a 2-year term.

Plus, you get shomiTM for 2 years1, a FREE 2015-16 Season’s Pass subscription to RogersTM NHL GameCentre LIVETM2, and Rogers TechXpertTM Whole Home support!3

nl2
I Plan to Stick Around
Telus results were only marginally better. Speedtest and dslreports are much the same. Only Rogers speedcheck is 6x the others.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Those results are a little strange.  The best that I've seen from the Toronto Telus server is 940 Mb/s with a direct connection to the modem as it was running in Gateway mode.  Trying to remember the Rogers Speedtest results, I don't believe that it was anywhere above 900 Mb/s.  Somewhere in the 870/880 range.

With the CGNM-3552 in Bridge mode, my Asus RT-AC68U in full router mode, the best I can do is about 810 Mb/s from the Toronto Telus server.

Are you running the test with the modem in Gateway mode or Bridge mode with a follow-on router?

Here's the same tests to Kingston and Rogers,  thru my RT-AC68U;

Latency  Download  Upload

(ms)         Mb/s           Mb/s

Server Cloud Canada          21           183               34

WTC Communications        45             90               25

Rogers Speedtest                31           703.5           36.8

Just to note, the WTC Communications test takes a while to start, maybe its a single test server.  When it does start, its actually pretty fast, but, the test times out just as the server is picking up steam, so to speak.  I think that if the test actually ran longer, you would see higher results.

nl2
I Plan to Stick Around

Modem in bridged mode connected directly to decent desktop with pcie x4 Intel ethernet. Nothing else running. What Rogers will consider to be a fair testbed.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think that most people will find the Rogers Speedtest and Speedtest.net's Toronto Telus server to be reasonably close to each other.  I don't understand why you see such a large discrepancy between the two.  Are you running the test on Firefox or Chrome?  If I don't have Adobe Flash loaded on a particular pc or laptop, I use Chrome as Flash is baked in, so to speak.  

Without Flash, and using Firefox, speedtest directs you to the beta testsite where you're directed to some sites that produce terrible results.  Using the beta site the first set of results i ended up with were terrible.  Then switching to the Toronto Teksavvy server, I end up with 17 ms latency, download of 747.23 Mb/s and upload of 3.23 Mb/s, which is a really terrible result on the upload side.  Eastlink's site at Barrie ends up with 18 ms latency, 723.28 Mb/s download and 3.54 Mb/s upload, again, terrible on the upload side.  Switching sites after the first test seemed to pick up the download rate but the download rates remained very low.

So, you have to be careful of what you have loaded, Flash and possibly Java on your pc, and then which browser you use, and then, which server you use.

Hope this helps.

nl2
I Plan to Stick Around

Flash 21 installed. File date is April 2016. Dslreports is pure html5. Had my first power reset to recover lost lan port. Modem uptime was a brief 9 hours with minimal traffic. Firmware 4.5.8.19

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you have a look at the following thread, you can follow the provided link to request Firmware Version 4.5.8.21, which will solve the dead LAN port problem.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3315...

nl2
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes. It is a top post. No thank you. The lan port drop out is a known problem and fix. More interested to measure Rogers service level by modem uptime.

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

I just upgraded to 500u last week and have the gigabit modem - I'm getting good speeds on a wired connection, but the wireless speeds are terrible - when I was on 250u I was getting around 150Mbps on my laptops, and now with the gigabit modem I'm only getting around 20 - 30 Mbps, and sometimes even lower than that. I've moved the modem around, I've changed channels, rebooted - all to no avail. I'm not in a highly congested area (surrounded by seniors) and right now I'm on a channel noone else is using and am still getting terrible wifi speeds. This is on 2.4Ghz.  The only change on my end is this new modem, and the 500u profile (from 250u)

I've tried speedtests on 2 laptops and a chromebook and all have the same results.

Could the modem be defective?

Can you try a speedtest using an ethernet connection to a pc or laptop using the speedtest.net Toronto Telus server and let me know what the results are.  That will give me some idea of what the modem will run at via ethernet and what to expect for the wifi.  

Can you also have a look at the following thread from tonight which is very similar and let me know what you see with the inSSIDer application:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/334...

Its always possible that there is a problem with the modem.  I would have expected similar performance via wifi as you saw with the previous modem, but having a look at the ethernet numbers and possibly an inSSIDer image might explain some of this.  

Have you checked the bandwidth settings for the 2.4. and 5 Ghz networks?  They are available for the CGN3ACSMR running V4.5.8.20, so, I'm hoping that they are available with the current firmware version that you have loaded.  Also ensure that the encryption is set to WPA-2 AES only for both networks.  Setting the encryption with TKIP will result in 802.11g rates which is 54 Mb/s max.  TKIP, WEP and WPS should no longer be used as they are not secure anymore. 

Can you log into the modem and check which Software (firmware) version is listed on the Status page and check on the bandwidth settings as well.  If you have V4.5.8.19 loaded, you might want to ask for the trial 4.5.8.21, which resolves issues observed in 4.5.8.20.  See the first post in the following thread to ask for 4.5.8.21 from @CommunityHelps:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3315...

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

not sure if this is the screen you wanted?  as I was watching it, the signal would flip back and forth from 25 to 50, back to 25, then to 50...

On a wired connection on my desktop Toronto->Telus gave me 491Mbps down and 22Mbps up

My modem is the CGNM-3552 - firmware 4.5.8.19

Auto (WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK)

AES

Untitled.jpg

just grabbed another shot when the signal changed to 50

Untitled2.jpg

That second shot is really interesting.  If you look at the lower left hand panel, you can see a second unidentified network (orange colour) running in the background when the power level, or perceived power level of your network drops to -50 dBmW.  Same channel.  That makes me think that you have a guest network running with a suppressed network name, or that possibly, for some reason, a Home Monitoring Network is running from that modem, which would be very unusual.  Normally that runs from a Netgear router that Rogers supplies.  

Just for trial purposes, can you start the inSSIDer application, and then pull the power plug on the modem.  The question of the day is whether or not that second hidden network is transmitting from the modem, or if it actually belongs to someone else.  After the modem powers down, you should see your network power level drop on the laptop inSSIDer display and then disappear in about three to four minutes.  Then if you have a Netgear router running for the Rogers Home Monitoring, pull the power from that as well and see what happens to that unidentified network.  

Let me know what you find.

If that unidentified network stays up and running, then it belongs to someone else who happens to be very close by. That's usually all it takes, is for a close neighbor to bring home a new router or have one installed and your network suffers the consequences.  If that is the case, it looks like your going to have to switch to channel 3 and accept the fact that there is overlap with a couple of other networks which isn't as bad as what you have on channel 8.  If that is another modem or router that changes channel every so often, that's going to make this situation rather miserable for you.  You might want to consider moving up into the 5 Ghz band.  From the looks of it, that laptop is single band 2.4 Ghz.  Thats why the right hand 5 Ghz display on the bottom is empty.

If that unidentified network dies as well, that means that the modem is transmitting a hidden network for some reason.  Home Monitoring comes to mind, which would require tech support to disable if you don't actually have that service running in your home.

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the guest network turned off, and I don't have home monitoring. The mystery network is me - I noticed it last night so I changed the channel in the router and the channel on the mystery network changed. But I did as you suggested, and that network disappeard along with my named network

I only have the gigabit modem with the built in router, and like I said, the guest network is turned off

Ok, in that case call Tech support and ask the CSR if the Home Monitoring network has accidentally been turned on.  That has happened in the past, but we haven't seen it for a while now.  Assuming that it has been enabled, ask the CSR to disable it.  You should then see the unidentified network disappear from the inSSIDer display and see that your network stabilizes.

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't know anything about the rogers home monitoring - if someone were to have it, is it run through the rogers modem/router?  I just want to get straight what I'm going to say to tech support...

Normally its run though a separate Netgear router.  That allows the accompanying tablet to interact with the monitoring system.  We have seen cases previously where that Home Monitoring Wifi Network was accidentally or mistakenly activated on the Hitron modem, resulting in the transmission of a hidden SSID network, such as what you have at the moment.  So, you need the CSR to check the modem settings and determine if for some reason, the 2.4 Ghz Home Monitoring wifi network is activated on the modem.  I'm assuming it is.  Ask the CSR to disable that network if you don't have Home Monitoring installed in your home.  That should resolve the problem.

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

well this is turning in to quite the saga - tech support had no idea what that mystery network was - they could see nothing at their end and kept insisting it wasn't coming from my modem Smiley Frustrated

I did notice that the mac address is exactly the same as my named network, except for the last 2 digits

she reset the modem from her end and that didn't do anything, so I guess I'll swap the modem out for another to see what happens...

Yup, that is very strange, but we've seen this before in the forum.  Have you tried a factory reset  from your end, either by holding the recessed reset button at the back of the modem in for 30 seconds and releasing it, or thru the user interface?

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

no, but that's what tech support did from their end - would it do anything different if I did it from MY end?

It should be the same.  Guess the easiest thing to do is swap the modem. That's unfortunate as it should be a simple matter of turning off that network. 

headhoncho
I Plan to Stick Around

forgetting about the mystery network for a minute, is the signal thing normal?  the way it changes back and forth from -25 to -50?

Topic Stats