Any One Have 1Gbps Download1 50Mbps Upload Yet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Any One Have 1Gbps Download1 50Mbps Upload Yet

No...and its super frustrating.

I've had "gigabit " internet for the past 2 months.

My speeds fluctuate all over the place 24/7 usually between 110Mbps and 750Mbps.  Don't get me wrong 750Mbps is a great speed - but it doesn't last.  I have a lot of problems with streaming video and gaming where it just grinds to a halt all of a sudden...then starts again.    I just wish I was getting what I paid for.

I've had 5 technicians from INTEK out to my house (thats 20 hours of waiting around for technicians)  - all of whom tell me that it is a problem at ROGERS distribution center and there is nothing they can do.

According to the Sr. Technician at INTEK - ROGERS orginally planned to have 250 homes per gigabit line.  But they were having problems so they repartitioned to 150 homes and were still having problems.  Now they've partitioned them to even fewer homes but still the problems with latency/flucutating speed persist but it seems like 750 is the max anyone is getting over coax.    

(I've heard other people say that it is a problem with the modems - but I can't comment on that)

When I call ROGERS they tell me I should get a minimum of 950 down and 50 up.  When I told the INTEK Sr. Tech that - he just laughed at me.

They have tried everything ...swapping modems, running new cable from the node to the house, putting an attenuator to moderate the signal strength on my cable...none of it worked.     

It seems like INTEK just wants to blame ROGERS and ROGERS just wants to keep sending more INTEK guys to my house.

I'm not happy.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I have made a request to get my profile changed from 500/20 to 1000/40 and it seems I am something along 500/30 now.  Not sure what is going on.  If it is that they are trying to mislead people, then we should be reporting this to Ellen Roseman @ The Toronto Star (https://www.thestar.com/authors.roseman_ellen.html).  Then the truth will come out.

I don't think it is fair to tell people that they can get it and advertise it when they can only get 1/2 of it.  It is like advertising for a 10 slice pizza and only giving people 5 slices.  They would be ticked and I don't see this any different.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Typical case of Rogers overpromising and underdelivering. I'll give them another month before I'm taking both my internet and TV to Bell. I had already cancelled Rogers and they talked up a good deal for gigabit. Either they stop . around or they'll not only lose gigabit customers, but those same customers who were probably happy at 100Mbps or 250Mbps plans will just leave altogether - with their TV and home phone.

We're tired of the familiar, "Everything looks good on our end. Please try rebooting your modem again" . .

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Alex4161 are you using a pc or laptop that you have previously tested on a 1 Gb/s connection somewhere, so that you know that its capable of running at 900+ Mb/s.  Its very easy to indicate that the service doesn't provide the 1 Gb/s rate, but if that never occurs then the question that needs to be asked is, is this a service issue or is it a pc or laptop issue?  At some point you have to prove that one or the other works as it should, and then go on to prove the other.  

I have a couple of desktops running, one which will see 940 Mb/s on a speedtest and one with an older motherboard that peaks at just over 500 Mb/s.  So, there are a number of factors beyond the gigabit ethernet port which will determine if the pc or laptop will support the higher data rates.  

Fwiw, the challenge that we had not so long ago was to see people run speeds above 100 Mb/s, now its trying to get that same equipment up to 1 Gb/s.  In some cases that will never happen as the device simply won't support those rates.  Not saying thats the case here, but bringing that up as something to consider.   

Highlighted

I am testing using Cat 6 wires on a laptop and a desktop, no wifi.  I would be happy if I was getting 900+ but at 500ish this is a LONG way away from 900 🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

@Alex4161 are you using a pc or laptop that you have previously tested on a 1 Gb/s connection somewhere, so that you know that its capable of running at 900+ Mb/s.  Its very easy to indicate that the service doesn't provide the 1 Gb/s rate, but if that never occurs then the question that needs to be asked is, is this a service issue or is it a pc or laptop issue?  At some point you have to prove that one or the other works as it should, and then go on to prove the other.  

I have a couple of desktops running, one which will see 940 Mb/s on a speedtest and one with an older motherboard that peaks at just over 500 Mb/s.  So, there are a number of factors beyond the gigabit ethernet port which will determine if the pc or laptop will support the higher data rates.  

Fwiw, the challenge that we had not so long ago was to see people run speeds above 100 Mb/s, now its trying to get that same equipment up to 1 Gb/s.  In some cases that will never happen as the device simply won't support those rates.  Not saying thats the case here, but bringing that up as something to consider.   

That's frankly not good enough. If bandwidth speed is dictated by laptop/pc hardware then that needs to be disclosed by Rogers. That means letting is know the specific minimum CPU, ram, nic hardware that needs to exist for gigabit. That gives peope the opportunity to make educated decisions on if what they currently have will be sufficient. You can't just advertise a service and then later say, "Could be your laptop/PC. We're not exactly sure what you should upgrade your hardware to though".

Many people don't have multiple pc's/laptops/macs to do various tests. They have what they have.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Alex4161 yup, understand, but, if you're never seen the pc or laptop running at 1 Gb/s anywhere else, proving their capability, the question still exists, are they actually capable of running 1 Gb/s?  If not, there are three unknowns at the present time, the 1 Gb/s service, the laptop and pc.  The one thing that I've found trying to assist people on the forum is, never assume anything.  As in, never assume that any of those three support 1 Gb/s unless that is proven at some point in time.  Prove that one works, and the other two will fall into place.  Unfortunately we've seen previous examples, again and again where forum members upgrade their data rate and then find out that their equipment doesn't support the higher data rates.  That is unfortunate but it does happen.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

Yup, understand, but, if you're never seen the pc or laptop running at 1 Gb/s anywhere else, proving their capability, the question still exists, are they actually capable of running 1 Gb/s?  If not, there are three unknowns at the present time, the 1 Gb/s service, the laptop and pc.  The one thing that I've found trying to assist people on the forum is, never assume anything.  As in, never assume that any of those three support 1 Gb/s unless that is proven at some point in time.  Prove that one works, and the other two will fall into place.  Unfortunately we've seen previous examples, again and again where forum members upgrade their data rate and then find out that their equipment doesn't support the higher data rates.  That is unfortunate but it does happen.  

That's not the job of the customer to prove that. the service should be vetted by Rogers under controlled conditions at their facilities. It's standard practice. When you look to install say Windows 10, it comes with a strict list of prerequisites around minimum hardware requirements. Newer versions of IOS won't run on older hardware and Apple will be specific on minimum hardware requirements.

So yes, 1Gb/s needs to be proven at some point - but the point is before they advertise it as a valid product.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@forbsy, I can't speak for Rogers or any other ISP in that regard, but I suspect that the response to your first statement would be that its up to the consumer to ensure that their own equipment is capable of running at higher speeds.  There are so many variables to what your asking that it would be impossible to test them all.  Something as simple as swapping out a slower SSD for a high performance SSD might be all it takes to run at higher data rates if you happen to have a limited amount of memory on your pc or laptop.  How many people are comfortable doing laptop surgery to replace the hard drive?  The same applies to swapping out your current memory for larger or faster memory.  ISPs could come out with a blanket statement and say something like the minimum is a gigabit port, core i3 or i5 or better,  8 Gb memory at 1600 Mhz or better, Samsung 840/850 Pro or 950/960 Pro SSD or better.  But, that would also depend on the operating system and what programs you typically run.  I think the reaction from the public would be a minor uproar in any suggested minimum standard. And I think that any suggested minimum standard would be picked apart by a lot of people who are probably above the average consumer, so, that puts the ISPs in a no win situation. Condemned if they say nothing and condemned if they say anything.  There's no winning here, but consumers are going to have to understand, in general, that if they want to run higher data rates, then there is a very good chance that they will have to replace their current equipment.  Coming to the decision point can be somewhat painful and aggravating, trying to prove all along that what they currently use will suffice.  Technology waits for no man as they say, and that is the painful truth of it.  

Just to point out, the IEEE very recently approved an ethernet standard which will allow users to run 2.5 or 5 Gb/s over their existing 1 Gb/s Cat 5e/6 ethernet cabling.  

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/09/5gbps-ethernet-standard-details-8023bz/

When that technology trickles down to routers, pc's and laptops, it will trigger another round of equipment upgrades, but, the same question will still exist, "What's behind the port".  If what ever is behind the port won't support the higher data rates, then the high speed port itself is of little value.  Same situation all over again. So, again, its up to the consumer to educate him, or herself.  

You probably won't agree with what I am saying here, but, the general rule that applies is, running higher data rates and demanding programs requires money, money for faster processors, memory and SSDs or Raid Arrays.  There's no getting away with this cheaply, which is rather unfortunate.  

Highlighted

Setting up a Homegroup in Windows 10, I can easily transfer files around 115 MB/sec to 130 MB/sec so I know it is NOT a network adapter issue