Any One Have 1Gbps Download1 50Mbps Upload Yet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Any One Have 1Gbps Download1 50Mbps Upload Yet

Did you see anything about a timeline for the west end of Toronto (Etobiocke)? 😉

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow that is fast. Last week for Brampton Postal code it was showing not avaialable and today its good to go !!! .. Tempting !!! .. My router is future proof as well !!! Asus RT-AC87U !!!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have Asus RT-AC68U is that compitable with 1Gbps? Also whats the max speed for wifi i can get with this router with 1Gbps?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wow, thats a loaded question, and I happen to have the same router.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but

I don't think that there is any home router on the market that will keep up with 1 Gb/s service, even new very

expensive routers.  The processing capability just isn't there for the vast majority of routers.  I'll refer you to the

smallnetbuilder review of the RT-AC68U:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32239-ac1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-asu...

From that review comes the following throughput data:

Wan to Lan:                 754.5 Mb/s

Lan to Wan:                 824.6 Mb/s

Total Simultaneous:   808.0 Mb/s

The wifi numbers for the 5 Ghz network test show a max of 350 Mb/s down, ~310 Mb/s up.  The wifi numbers are interesting to say the least.  

To run this router and many others for 1 Gb/s service, you can probably say goodbye to using any of the

functions that are available in the firmware, and that happen to require any processing time at all.  They will

definitely cause reduced throughput.  

In short, the answer to running gigabit speeds will be something like a pfSense router, using the 68U or other,

as a wifi access point.  There is also the question of whether or not any of the devices on your own network are

really prepared to run at that rate as well.  So, lots of work to thoroughly prepare for gigabit rates.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Just booked an appt to have this set up next week - requires rocket gigabit modem. I still have the CGN3. Hope no issues with bridge mode.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am in Guelph which, being a town with a big Uni, one would hope is on the list. I don't think I can get the 250 service yet.

I DO see more Rogers trucks ( including the contractors) about climbing up poles on the main roads through town so maybe  some more coax is being replced by fibre.

I am at the end of a cable so I bet I'll see some activity outside before Gigabit is announced.  I also bet I'll be the first and maybe only customer on my street! 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Just installed today with Hitron CGNM-3552-ROG router modem.

gigabitspeedtest.JPG

These are speeds on my pc on second floor, modem on main floor. Download speed slowed to 349 Mb/sec on my wife's older PC in same room as cable modem, diretly connected to the modem even with gigabit network card. Speed slowed back to 170 Mb/sec once modem was bridged and connected to my sonicwall router TZ210. So I put it back as gateway and disconnected the sonicwall. I may upgrade to a newer sonicwall if I want to keep my old dual WAN setup.

Tech said signal in cable was good. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Nice. 

Yeah that is expected. I dont think any consumer modem on the market is capable of 1GBPS WAN to LAN .. .. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

This thread is going to explode after all those ppl who signed up the $99 Deal for Gigabit + Cable VIP 

Here is my speed now 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Not quite 1G but why the variance with 2 results?

rogers 1g.PNG

5383492893.png