Anti Spyware and Virus will not turn on

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Anti Spyware and Virus will not turn on

My anti spyware and anti virus will not turn on I have tried to manually turn it on but it will not.  Please help!!

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Anti Spyware and Virus will not turn on

We need more information to help you.

1. What kind of security software are you using?

2. Is it Windows environment?

3. Did you disable Windows built-in firewall?

4. Do you have more than one security software package installed on your PC?

I've Been Here Awhile

I am using the Rogers Protection.

Windows Vista Environment.

I didn't know Windows has a built in firewall.

No I don't have an security software package.

You need to disable both Windows Firewall and Windows Defender as they are in conflict with rogers online protection software. You can find both in Control Panel. Once you disable them, restart you PC. Rogers Online Protection should now work.

If not, reinstall it. 

I'm an Advisor

@CBB:

All of this may seem confusing and contradictory.  But you would be well advised to get rid of Rogers Protection.  Remove it from your system and use something else.  Rogers is NOT in the anti-virus business and this is demonstrated by the numerous postings in this Forum detailing problems people have had with RoP.

You could use Microsoft Security Essentials (free download), and for sure you need the Windows Firewall (included in all Windows variants) active on your system.  They do two different things.  MSE protects against virus, malware and trojans, etc.  The Windows Firewall protects you from direct malicious attacks from the Internet as you surf and use email.  Neither is perfect, for sure.  But they are a heck of a lot better than what Rogers is offering.  Besides Microsoft issues regular automatic updates to cover new threats as they are discovered.

In addition there are lots of other things you can do to protect yourself and your system.  But that is a whole 'nother topic.

Think about it!  Microsoft has their corporate reputation on the line!  Their reputation is riding on how well they protect their Windows environment from attack.  They have billions of dollars, thousands of experts, and their ownership of the Windows environment on which to base their efforts.  If they are successful, they have protected their considerable installed base and customer investments.  If they fail, well, there are both the Apple/Mac and Linux to take over from them.  And you can be **bleep** sure they are doing everything they can to be successful.

Based on dozens of Forum user comments here it is reasonably obvious that Rogers Protection is not the greatest.  I don't want to be snarky or sarcastic, but let's just let Rogers try to work on providing us with adequate Internet services!  That might well be enough of a challenge for them at this point in time.

skinorth

I'm a Senior Advisor

I would like to backup the comment from skinorth. You would be well advised to ditch ROP and go with something else. Skinorth said it very well!

I've Been Here Awhile

No Rogers is not in the anit virus business but Symantec is.  And Rogers uses Symantec.

Hello @kennybigrig, thank you for your post. Just so you know, The engine behind Rogers Online Protection is Bitdefender.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

When shall Rogers co-ordinate thier antivirus software with "Windows 10 Defender" or which one is better

@geoffs wrote:

When shall Rogers co-ordinate their antivirus software with "Windows 10 Defender" or which one is better

Windows Defender in Windows 10 does contain antivirus.  So MIcrosoft Security Essentials, mentioned earlier, is neither necessary nor will it even install on Windows 10 (or 8 and 8.1 for that matter).

Its reliability is available in online comparative tests.

In Windows 7, or below, Windows Defender is merely any anti-malware tool and does NOT contain an antivirus, so other tools are necessary for A/V protection in that case.

In all the above, Windows Firewall remains the only firewall protection - it protects one-way only, incoming.  (Unless heavily tweaked often with the help of 3rd party tools).

Many people prefer 3rd party software that covers anti-virus AND firewall protection, so online research is well worth your while.

Do your research.

Peter
Toronto