All Ports Blocked?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: All Ports Blocked?

I have tried everything except for the bridged mode. I have another router so I will try and see if it works.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello

I am Rogers customer for last 10 years. I have been trying to portforwarding for last couple of months. I have used Hitron CGN2, CGN3, Cisco DPC3825 and none of them working, and also used all in bridge mode, with linksys WRT54G router, still not working. I am not new to this port forwarding.

So I called Rogers and explain them, What they said is I have to call expert Techs @ Rogers and have to pay $49.00 and they will port forward to me. So I called them, one of the very nice tech, I ask hime how you going to do this?

He told me even if this is bridge mode port forwarding wan't work. when you pay $49.00 they will flash with new firmware and then your gateway is full open and you can port forward. Is this is legal? any friends here have done portforwarding in any of these gateway's. Hitron CGN2, CGN3 or Cisco DPC3825 ? if yes what is your firmware ver ?

If they are really doing this its illeagal. We have all the rights to do portforwarding in our gateway.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

Don't know about the legal part But, if this is true, this port forwarding issue has been the topic of lively debate on a lot of OTHER forums. Guys are pretty ticked off about it.

Great post. You may just have provided the missing key to the puzzle.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The hitrons have been known to not have the port forwarding work..
There have been a few people who have said, that the CISCO more recently, likely new firmware, have stoped working.

The SMC is still currently fine.. i am running that one, at least on the firmware that i have on it, and forwarding works fine.

I do agree, this is something that should be fixed at the gateway level of usage.. port forwarding should not NOT work.  Even for simple programs, sometimes communicate better with port forwarding.
(now, i can undersand in some things, that rogers per the ToU, says you really can not use your own connection to host a SERVER.... but that is not the ONLY usage for port forwarding, therefore should not be just blocked outright).

Though... bridging SHOULD work.  There are many people who have had those modems, and were able to do the port forwarding fine by switching to bridged mode and letting the router handle the forwarding.

What are you specificaly trying to forward/set up?

(Feel free to PM me if you wish, etc.  I am fairly experienced at setting up forwarding, servers, etc so may catch something thats preventing it)

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello

I just need Port 3389 to be forward for RDP. and also port 80.

None of them work in any Rogers gateways. So I thought this is a problem on my laptop. So I took to my office and check port forwarding and I see @ office everything is open. So in this case its not my computer.

We must have all rights to open port 3389. for RDP what is build in Windows. So why they block that and asking $49.00 to open it?  even the tech said to change Cisco DPC3825 to better Hitron CGN3 and called the Rogers and they will flash a new firmware and I can open all ports. and I ask him how if I bridge the gateway and use my own router and he said its still going be same and will be blocked. So I bridge the Cisco and try with Linksys WRT54, forward the ports, disable firewall nothing changed. So he was right and we have pay rogers to open it.

@ Kitty, I very much appreciate if you can help me. you can PM me or you can connect to my computer and do what ever you can.

But in the mean time I am just going to make a formal complain to CRTC and inquire about this port blocking and asking us pay to open it.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think the talking to the textperts thing, to have them enable the ports/firmware.. is a little bit of BS IMHO.. i dont think thats it.. and if it is, its wrong.

Give me some time this afternoon to do some testing..

I know on MY gateway, which is NOT bridged, the SMC.. i know 80 works fine.  I have a basic webserver set up ok with it.

So i KNOW its not a block, etc say from ROGERS back end... it has to be if anything at the gateway level.

It has been AGES since i did RDP on my box (i use logmein-pro now), so will at least test IF it works on not (doesnt have a general block).

I have had my firmware on my SMC flashed in the past, with no charges, talking to the textperts, etc.

Maybe try, and talk to the techs again, leaving out the port forwarding, and see if they can check/flash it to the newest version, regardless of anything else.. and try testing with that.

(though, in some ways, i can see WHY/IF they would want to block RDP.  I work in a corporate IT environment, and its completely blocked, by port forwarding at least... users can VPN, then 'localy' connect.  RDP, can be a MAJOR security risk when open)

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

So this resolved itself for me not soon after I started this topic.. but now it's back again. So sick and tired of Rogers crappy service that I pay too much money for. Can't wait to cancel and switch to a company that cares about customer satisfaction.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I guess im one of the very few that has a fully functioning CGN3... i've been able to successfully forward the ports in my CGN3, main purpose was for my PS3. For the longest I had my PS3 on static IP and assigned that IP to the DMZ in the CGN3, no problems. I then got a PS4 so i had to assign it another IP and put that IP into the DMZ instead which caused some NAT restrictions on my PS3 when playing call of duty and what not, so i port forwarded the recommended port in my CGN3 using the IP of my PS3 and bingo, my PS3 was now working online just fine with call of duty (nat: open).

Im in New Brunswick so unless there is a slightly different firmware version for the CGN3's in Ontario compare to NB, then i have no idea.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It was posted in another thread.. but they did upgrade the CGN3 recently, and the port forwarding AND the usb port works now 🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

so I might take back what I said, though everything is working fine for my internet.. I went ahead and did this so call "port checking" and sure enough it says every port is closed hahaha. I disabled the windows firewall (not using any other one), I disable the firewall and assign static IP to my PC and put that IP into DMZ..rebooted PC and power cycle modem, retested and sure enough it still says all the ports even 80 is closed bbbahahah. I haven't tried bridge but wont bother.

I got the CGN3, don't think the firmware has been updated on it yet.

I even enabled PING WAN so I tried many 3rd party sites and sure enough their servers can ping my public IP address but when I do the port test it always says everything is closed.

I do a lot of online gaming on playstation 3 and 4, im wondering now if I should just ditch this CGN3, get like a SMC or Cisco, bridge it and get my own router.......... ?