All Ports Blocked?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: All Ports Blocked?

even if you open the ports say on the forwarding.. you do need a device (either in the DMZ or forwarded to) that has those ports OPEN to be receiving something.
Say a web server for 80 or ftp on 21, awaiting connections, for it to get a response from.

But its still possible yours hasnt been updated.  You should be able to call in and have them push out the latest to you.

The main advantage of that one vs the other ones.. is that as a gateway, has much better wireless vs the others.  If this isnt an issue, or you use a 3rd party router in bridged or as an AP.. switching to one of the others, shouldnt be an issue. (as long as you are not on ultimate..i beleive that one is/may be a requirement.)

I have the SMC and have no issues with port forwarding on it... and have my own router just as an AP.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I do have the latest firmware for the CGN3 (4.2.4.1) ..
ok so check it out. I have my PS4 on static IP, and that IP on the DMZ on the CGN3. I used the PS4 built in web browser to do the port checking thing and it still says everything is closed? However I think i now understand, in order to even do the port checking the application itself needs to be able to do the port checking and im pretty sure the web browser built into the PS4 is not a good way of testing it but if i were to load up a game that would require a certain port, i could then test if that game is operating on that port correctly but thats not possible obviously.

is there some kind of PC application that i can use to verify if my port forwarding is working since using chrome or IE is not a good way of testing it
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

yes! very cool... will try this on my PC when i get home. im assuming i have to completely disable the windows firewall right (i have no other 3rd antivirus nor firewall installed). thanks!
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

so yea i can confirm that the port forwarding and DMZ does work on the CGN3 with the latest firmware.

however it is not stable when you have port forwarding AND DMZ how enabled...

i had port forwarding for certain ports for the IP address that my ps3 is on, then i had DMZ host enable for the IP address my ps4 is on... it seems to conflict as i tested this using the above tools on my PC (then assign my PC the ip address of the DMZ host etc..)

sometimes it would work but it was a hit or miss and sometimes some ports showed as open while others closed.

i tried port triggering with no luck at all. so ultimately since i confirm if i have port forwarding completely disable, the DMZ host IP address had all ports opened (via the tools provided in above post)... so i basically just put my ps3 and my ps4 to the same IP address on the DMZ host hahah. it worked perfectly, so long as i only have 1 system on at one time
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think it makes sense, that while having something in the DMZ and the forwarding on, would cause a conflict.

When you put something in the DMZ.. its outside of the firewall.  Pretty much, count it like, ITS assuming by default, any connections into the router, if it can.
Port forwarding, would then try to do it again.... OR.. its trying to push to an IP of a device which normally is INSIDE the firewall.. and it now outside of it.

Nice work around, for the same IP address.. 🙂  only other option would be to play around, with one in the DMZ, and the other with port forwarding.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hi, can I ask you how you did this? I wish I can find screen shots 🙂 or you should make a YouTube video lol. I'm not a savy in this subject and I haven't even been a me to try if it works or not. I have the cgn3 and is to play ps4
I Plan to Stick Around

so I have confirmed that you cannot have DMZ enabled and port forwarding enabled at the same time on the CGN3 even if it is different IP address's.

using my PC as a test, i set the IP address on my PC to that of the DMZ host and confirmed (using simple port tester) that it works like a charm. However as soon as i enable port forwarding which is using another IP address it instantly killz the DMZ host and stops working! thats insane!.. madness!

so basically you cannot have both these enabled even if portforwarding is set to one IP address and DMZ host on another Ip address.

another big issue is that you only enter up to 9! for port forwarding.. thats all! . ? .. i tried doing a 10th one and nope, error saying "exceeding number of allowed port forwarding settings". im like wow. so now im debating on downgrading to the cisco or SMC but i dont even know if the rogers stores have them. im also going to assume the CGN2 has these issues. damnit
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Last i heard (havent heard otherwise) the cgn2 the forwarding DOESNT work on it 😛

Odd, that you cant do BOTH... but again.. i GUESS it makes sense.
Yes, each machine has its own seperate IP address INTERNALLY, right?
BUT... now something, lets say a game server, etc is trying to send info BACK to your house.. it only sees, ANY device from your house.. comming from ONE external IP.  Its trying to send to port 12345.  It hits your IP address.... now where do i go? Do i go to the one in the DMZ which is open? or do i go to the fordwarded one?

I have the SMC.. it doesnt have a set number of lines.. so not sure if there is a limit or not.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

thats exactly what i was guessing is that it doesnt know where to send the info to... does it send it to the DMZ IP host or to the port forwarding IP address lol.

so in the meantime im back to just using DMZ, i disable port forwarding and sticking with 1 static IP address for both the PS3 and PS4 as long as only 1 is turned on at a time it works fine.

i use to have the SMC D3G2N long ago and i think the limit is 16 lines which is still way better then a cheap 9 lol