All Ports Blocked?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

All Ports Blocked?

I've been having this issue lately.. in addition to what seems like my Rogers connectivity deteriorating over the past few weeks, I've now noticed something even more troubling. Today I went to do some routine Port Forwarding on my Cisco DPC3825 - something I have done successfully many times before - to find that via any online scanner I check (including using some friends down south to run a trace from them to me) that all of my ports are either closed or blocked/filtered. Not even the previous forwards I had set up are functioning anymore.

I've contacted Rogers TSRs several times today and they swear to high heaven that Rogers doesn't filter and doesn't block ports..  and that they cannot control how these other websites work and therefore it's not their issue and that if I want to investigate further that I have to PAY for their "advanced" tech support. Really? I have to pay more to get the service I'm already paying for to work properly? Nice.

MY issue is is that I am trying EVERY port scanner service under the sun, and am also trying this through living friends doing traces and pings for me, and they all say the same thing. That suggests that it IS a Rogers issue, no?

Anyone else having any similar experience? I'm at my wits end with this and am so close to just calling it a day and taking my business elsewhere.

***edited labels***

I'm Here A Lot

Re: All Ports Blocked?

Two Notes

1. I have not made any changes on my Router prior to this happening. Since this started happening, though, Rogers has reset it for me a few times, and I have done that myself. I have even reset it to factory defauts and still no dice.

2. There is no firewall in the way of my connection. I have run these scans with my Firewall turned off on both my Macbook and on the browser on my PS3.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Before drawing any conclusions I would suggest trying port forwarding on a third party router with turning Cisco 3825 into bridged mode. If successful, port forwarding function on Cisco gateway was somehow modified by Rogers custom firmware.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have been talking with him in PMs, and came to much the same conclusion.
That the current firmware, may have broke the port forwarding inadvertantly... but by doing bridged mode, should bypass this

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks guys - I'm going to try out bridging my Cisco with my old DLINK router before doing a switch for another gateway. I'm not psyched about having to use a Hitron if I DO switch. But yeah, hopefully that will fix the issue. It's just really frustrating, too, as I've never had any problem with ports or port forwarding in the past.. it seems like this issue has just cropped up out of nowhere. =\

I'm Here A Lot

Long story short:

I've gone through 3 Hitron modems and one Cisco

All blocked my VOIP and security camera, no port can go through

I tried both bridge and normal mode

Hitron could not even hold port forwarding seeting (it went away after every restart)

I'm coming to the conclusion that some geniuise in Rogers business trying to push their home phone and security system, therfore disabling port forwarding for all third parties.

Rogers tech support is clueless (as usuall)

I'm switching to Teksavvy

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Not all Rogers gateways are the same and each of them operate differently in the bridged mode.

I have Cisco DPC3825 at my parents' house operating in gateway mode with Rogers Express and Teksavvyy Tektalk VOIP at the same address. Working without a problem, however Teksavvy VOIP won't work when DPC3825 would be in bridged mode.

On the other side, if I put DPC3825 in bridged mode and use third party router - I can forward any ports on it.

Hitron CGN3 does not let me forward any ports regardless if it is in gateway mode or bridged.

Can't say anything about CGN2 - never used it.

In conclusion, port forwarding is pretty straighforward - it is either working or not. On the other side, VOIP is far more difficuil to configure properly and troubleshoot.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Old hitron, (and looks like possibly the new one), have issues with port forwarding.. MANY people have had this.

The Cisco, and the SMC, both work FINE for port forwarding.  I have had both, and then have work completely fine.
From home, have been able to connect to a FTP server, a web server, a web/streaming server on a very odd port number, as well as a webcamera.

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm having literally the same problems with my DPC3825. All I wanted to do was set up a MInecraft server for my friends and I to play on but the port checking websites all say that it is either closed/filtered. I'm considering just giving up on the thing and getting an entirely new model.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I never had any issues of with port forwarding on the DPC3825 when i had it.. mind you, i only had the HTTP and FTP ports open.
They may have changed the firmware and things are not quite working the same as then.

You have the ports set to forward, to the IP on the machine with the server?

(is that machines IP set STATIC? otherwise it could change every time you restart the PC)

Is the port enabled? (sometimes you can add them but not enable the port)

The server is RUNNING the mincraft server?  You have your PC windows firewall OFF? (firewall off is likely necessary)

One thing to side note here.. depending on WHAT You plan to do with your mincraft server.. unless you are on the UNLMITED addon for usage.. if you plan to have more than 2 people on your minecraft server, you will EAT your internet usage up.
A co workers kids setup a mincraft sever.. and went through over 200gb in one month.

changing the 3825 into bridged mode, with your own router if you have one (or get one) should likely allow port forwarding to 100% work.