cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Security in Ignite WiFi Hub

qdu1128
I've been here awhile

Hi,

I cant find much information on this other than this FAQ post - https://www.rogers.com/support/internet/advanced-security-faqs

Do I need it on? or leave it off.  Anyone has personal experience with this?

Thank you.

***Added Labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Advanced Security in Ignite WiFi Hub

RogersTony

Hello, @qdu1128

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community.

I can understand how important it is to have adequate security for your Internet service. The modem also has its own Firewall which has different levels of security.

It is up to your personal preference if you wish to use this additional feature or if you wish to implement your own security measures to protect your network and devices. If there are users in the Community who have experience with this feature please don't hesitate to chime in.

RogersTony

AllanRi
I plan to stick around

Re: Advanced Security ... I'm had it turned on.  And now my Synology NAS is not able to connect to the internet.  Is this an effect of Advanced Security?  I'm tying to figure out what is blocking this device from connecting to synology.com servers, or even to the Google NTP server to sync the time on the device. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AllanRi  Can you confirm that turning Advanced Security off makes everything work again?

My understanding is that if Advanced Security blocks any traffic, you will (or should) get an alert on the Ignite WiFi Hub app.  Unfortunately, the inner workings of this feature are not documented; just an FAQ page.  I don't know whether it is even smart enough to recognize your Synology NAS as such and put a more restrictive security policy in place to protect your data.  It's just a "black box" feature that you can only turn on or turn off.

AllanRi
I plan to stick around

I've turned it off, but my NAS still can't connect to the internet. According the debug logs, and Synology support, the NAS can't obtain an External IP address.  At least 3 other Rogers Ignite users have had this problem, based on this thread. https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Switched-to-Ignite-Internet-and-can-t-see-NAS/m-p/449... 

AllanRi
I plan to stick around

So I figured out that the gateway has its own firewall settings that you can adjust. After logging in as admin, I turned the firewalls for IPv4 and IPv6 off.  

Gateway Firewall settings when firewall DISABLED IPv4 .jpgGateway Firewall settings when firewall DISABLED IPv6 .jpg

Did nothing.  My NAS still couldn't access the internet.  

Reidster
I've been around
If you still have issue, what worked for me was setting DNS to 3.3.3.3 and making sure I was running the latest code for NAS device - might have to download separately and update locally.
Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 in conversation