Access point with the CGN3ACR issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Access point with the CGN3ACR issues

Hello,

I currently have a Hitron CGN3ACR (set as 192.168.0.1) and have connected another router, a Netgear r7000 as an access point (in it's access point mode) with a DHCP reservation of 192.168.0.2. All good so far. All devices connected to their respective SSID work great!

The problem is, I cannot access the configuration page or any resources on the r7000 access point, like a USB Drive. Sometimes it does connect and randomly disconnects. I had a similiar issue with the previous access point, the venerable Linksys wrt54g.  

Is there a setting/configuration that would allow a consistent connection on the Hitron to the access points resources?

I have not tried setting up in Bridge mode and would prefer not to as the routers cover the front and the back of the house.

Thanks,

Harvinder

*Edited Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Access point with the CGN3ACR issues

Hello, @boomboompow

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. You may want to try assigning a different IP other than 192.168.0.2 to your AP - R7000 as the Hitron modem maybe using it. And also assigning static IP to the other resources connected to the AP may help with consistent access. 

I believe R7000 is powerful enough to cover the entire house, you may want to test it out in router mode and putting the modem in bridge mode.

Let me tag @Gdkitty to this discussion to share his expertise. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

Hello, @boomboompow

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. You may want to try assigning a different IP other than 192.168.0.2 to your AP - R7000 as the Hitron modem maybe using it. And also assigning static IP to the other resources connected to the AP may help with consistent access. 

I believe R7000 is powerful enough to cover the entire house, you may want to test it out in router mode and putting the modem in bridge mode.

Let me tag @Gdkitty to this discussion to share his expertise. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for such a quick reply, @RogersMoin. After I wrote the post, I changed the IP reservation to 192.168.0.150 on the r7000 as a last resort. For the last 20 minutes I'm able to access the resources(usb drive) consistently and access the configuration without getting kicked out! Thank you for verifying that it was in fact an issue with the Hitron configuration - I had no idea it would need a second IP - is there any background on this?

About your other suggestion - When connected to the Hitron wifi I get 130Mbps and to the r7000 on the opposite end of the house, 25Mbps. Although, when I'm closer to it, speeds a very good as well. I would love the single router setup but there is no central location for it.

Thank you for your help!

Harvinder

PS, I have no idea how I got the name boomboompow, I can't even see a place to change it.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@boomboompow, how are you connecting the R7000 to the Hitron modem?  Just curious.  If you are using house ethernet cabling, you should be able to see the same data rates with the R7000.

There are a couple of ways to connect the R7000 or any other router as an ethernet/wifi access point.  If the router has it built in, simply select Access point mode in the router setup and reboot the router.  That should have the the effect of turning off the router firewall and DHCP.  You would still have to set the wifi parameters.  In this configuration the router would probably be invisible to the network.  If you wanted to change anything in the router settings you would have to unplug the router from the modem, reboot the router and then connect to the router using its LAN IP address so that you can effect any changes.  If the router doesn't have a access point mode as an operating mode selection, you can do this manually by turning off the router firewall and DHCP, setting the wifi parameters as required and then rebooting the router.  While the reboot is underway, connect the LAN port of the modem to one of the LAN ports of the router.  In that configuration, you can use any router as an ethernet/wifi access point.

The second way is to assign an IP address to the router that is outside of the modems IP LAN address range.  That allows you to access either the modem or the router to make any changes, and to access any USB device that might be attached to the router and addressed as a sub-address of the router.

Highlighted

Thanks @Datalink for joining the thread and sharing your expertise. Smiley Happy

@boomboompow - Now you've another option to configure your AP. As for your Forums username, please send a PM to @CommunityHelps and we should be able to change it to your liking, thank you. Our private messaging system is explained in this blog.

Thanks for your participation and for your help in keeping the community a pleasant place to be.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for your suggestions @Datalink. Just to clarify, I do get great speeds from the r7000 when I'm closer to it. The 30Mbps is only when I'm on the opposite side of the house, on the second floor. This is the reason to have both routers functional. To confirm, I have a CAT5e cable going from the Hitron router port to the switch port of the r7000. The r7000 was also configured as an 'Access Point' from the inital setup wizard which disables DHCP etc.

Furthermore, as of yesterday, since changing the IP Address/reservation and reboot of the r7000 - It's finally running amazingly well and exactly as intended, consistently! The 192.168.0.2 address seems like it was the culprit - and the Hitron router really shouldn't allow a reservation to be made for this reserved address or should at least provide a warning/message to indicate this in the admin LAN Settings. 

Thank you, once again,

Harvinder

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One other thought concerning the R7000.  It appears that Netgear routers filter IPV6 ICMP.  ICMP is required for IPV6 to operate properly.  Netgear has apparently not budged from its position.  Whats the end effect to the router users?  Don't know, unfortunately as I don't enough about IPV6, especially ICMP IPV6.  I can only bring this up as a heads up as Rogers has recently enabled IPV6 across the network and Windows prefers IPV6 as an address.  So, there is definitely a possibility for technical issues to arise.  

There is an AsusWRT version that has been adapted to run on the R7000 and there are a few users on the forum who do use that combination.  The advantage of the AsusWRT is that it offers a control capability for Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding that is embedded in the chipset.  This is titled NAT Acceleration, but the real purpose is to route data through the router, bypassing the CPU except where that data has to be monitored for QOS, traffic monitoring of any type and a few others.  The other consideration is that IPV6 works on AsusWRT, so, that might be food for thought.  Here's the site:

http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/about.htm

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=r7000%20asuswrt

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention, @Datalink!

Harvinder