75% usage notification

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

75% usage notification

My current billing cycle is from the 5th of the previous month to the 4th of current month (for example, November 5th to December 4th). I was wondering why I received a notification why I received a 75% notification message at 6:15 PM on December 5th indicating that I had reached this limit after the billing cycle had ended. Why can't I get this when I actually reach the limit AND when I'm in the current billing cycle? I thought this system was supposed to help users keep within their bandwidth cap; not waste time notifying at the start of the next cycle. 

What gives?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: 75% usage notification

The usage doesn't update till the next day. Today's usage won't appear till after midnight tonight.
So they can't send the usage notifications till then likely Smiley Sad

Though I agree its kinda silly to do that over the last day if the cycle... Should be some logic in it to not send if on that day.

I've Been Around

Ok so my usage date goes from the 1st of the month to the end of the month. We have 80G each month to use. On march 31st I received my notification saying we are at our 100% limit. but I received my bill today I had a huge surprise....and extra 26G usage on my account for the month of March! And I didnt certainly use it all in one day.....so I am wondering if some one can explain how the notification works and when the usage is update din there system for us to see. It is my understanding that you get your notifications the next day after reaching your limit. It is also my understanding that it takes one day to update the usage . SO if that being the case....has anyone ever had problems with rogers counters for usage.....something is definitly not right and I am trying to figure it out.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Data for say TODAY... is not polled, until TOMORROW.

So if you received a notification ON the 31st, you were likely AT or OVER the 100% at some point on the 30th.  (could have been, say early morning 30th).
So you were at about 1+ days of usage, over the limit.

There are many people who beleive the counters are wrong.  Weither that is right or not? I cant say.

I have found, that they are usually pretty accurate myself. (i tend to monitor my usage daily.. how much downloading, game playing, netflix, etc.. and take averages for what those should consume.. and they are pretty much within the right ballpark.. prob +/- 200mb of what i guessed.).  But that may not be the case for all.

Often big spikes in usage, can be from stuff internal.. not always what we are aware of, etc.
(Big game downloads/updates which can be 500=20g.... windows or other system updates.  Cloud services are a BIG one if they are downloading/syncing).
Just the other day, i logged in and saw like 4gb worth of upload for one day.. which is VERY odd for me.. Oh yeah.. that was the day i forgot, and left a torrent running for like 5 hours seeding Smiley Sad

I've Been Around

Today, June 6, 2014, within moments of signing on my computer, I received my 75% Usage warning.

Upon immediately going to My Rogers and checking my Internet Usage for May 13, 2014 to June 12, 2014, I found that I had used 53.04 GB of my allotted 60 GB.  Further, on June 5, 2014 I had used 2,701 MB of combined upload and download activity. That means that as of midnight on back on June 4, 2014 I had  already used about 50.34 GB of my allotted 60 GB..

Now, I learned as a lad, way back in Grade 7, that 75% of 60 is 45. Can you explain this discrepancy?

I Plan to Stick Around

Simple; they send you the message after you reach it. However, what Rogers doesn't do is let you know the moment it happens, because their "system" tells you 24 hours after it occurs. Mean while you believe you're in the clear so you go about your day as usual, watching movies, playing games, listening to music, etc. But as you do this you're almost at the end of your bandwidth and Rogers really has no incentive to tell you, at the exact time it happens, that you're about to go over.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have a perfect solution to this problem, GL_Schmitt; drop Rogers and go to an ISP that has more bandwidth and is cheaper. The speed is the same. I'm happy since I left Rogers because I can actually talk to a human being when I have a problem and it get's solved on time, more importantly without attitude or "I don't know so I will pass you on to someone who knows better."
I Plan to Stick Around

Smiley Happy that sounds like a very biased advice
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As jscott21 mentioned, your usage isnt polled till the day after it is used.
This is not a thing to cheat you out or misslead you.  The systems that poll the information on the usage, are not something that is directly connected to the website and the database used for your account information.  That information needs to be polled, collected, possibly changed format to fit in the account database corrected, then placed there.

This can take up to 24 hours afterwards sometimes.

IF that much was used on one day.. i would take a look out for anything that was/may have been updating.. torrents, etc.
Its VERY easy to let something get away on you.
(I left a torrent on overnight a while back.. so probably ran about 8 hours overnight.. my UL settings were rather high, which is fine, as i USUALLY dont seed.. and kill the torrent once its done.   Woke up, to about 45g of upload done overnight... which did corrispond to what the torrent program showed).

If usage is an issue.. you may want to compare the NEW plans which rogers has just released.
In alot of cases, (depending on what plan you were on before), can sometimes be CHEAPER.
If you have other services with rogers (homephone, tv, etc) you may qualify for the additional 200g bandwidth for FREE.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@jscott21 wrote:
I have a perfect solution to this problem, GL_Schmitt; drop Rogers and go to an ISP that has more bandwidth and is cheaper. The speed is the same. I'm happy since I left Rogers because I can actually talk to a human being when I have a problem and it get's solved on time, more importantly without attitude or "I don't know so I will pass you on to someone who knows better."

Who can I go to that offers the same as Rogers Hybrid 250/20 service?  The fastest that I have seen from third parties is 150 and they don't offer as much data.