5G Network not broadcasting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: 5G Network not broadcasting

@sullivan3, very strange to say the least.  Did you change modems, or are you still using the original modem that you had for the 100u plan?  If its the same modem, then nothing should have changed, but, perhaps the modem configuration changed when you changed plans and the 5 Ghz wifi was disabled in that configuration.  You should be able to simply log into the modem, navigate to the WIRELESS .... BASIC SETTINGS .... 5G tab and ensure that the 5 Ghz wifi still enabled.  If you look at the front of the modem, you should see that the 5 Ghz Wifi LED is lit.  

While you're in the wifi settings tabs, check and set the following parameters as well as the network name and passphrase that you had set earlier:

2.4 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode: 802.11 n
Channel Bandwidth: 20/40 Mhz, although, for test purposes you could set this to 20 Mhz. In a crowded wifi environment, I would set this for 20 Mhz. It would most likely default down to 20 Mhz anyway.
Wireless channel: AUTO or, to an open channel if one existed, or to the channel that offers the least interference from neighboring routers and modems
WPS Enabled: OFF
Security Mode: WPA-Personal
Auth Mode: WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode: AES only

Save the setting and ensure that the Encrypt Mode stays on AES only. If it changes on its own to TKIP/AES, change it back to AES only and save the setting again. TKIP is no longer secure and will cause the wifi data rates to cap at 54 Mb/s which is the 802.11g rate.

5 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode: 802.11 a/n/ac mixed
Channel Bandwidth: 80 Mhz, although, for test puposes you could set this to 40 Mhz. I would revert back to 80 Mhz after running a 40 Mhz test.
Wireless channel: 149 to 161
WPS Enabled: OFF
Security Mode: WPA-Personal
Auth Mode: WPA2-PSK
Encrypt Mode: AES only

Once again, save the setting and ensure that the Encrypt Mode stays on AES only. If it changes on its own to TKIP/AES, change it back to AES only and save the setting again.

Reboot the modem if you had to make any changes, ADMIN ..... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot.

I've Been Here Awhile

CODA-4582U – 5G not showing up straight away

Got a weird minor problem, but it's actually super annoying. What happens is that when I turn my computer on, it won't connect to the 5G network, in fact it won't even show up. I have to turn off my WiFi on my Macbook, and turn it back on around 3 times for it to show up. Happens pretty much every time.

Also only started happening once I got this modem, and works fine on 5G networks elsewhere.

Thoughts?

Hello @shane_90,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! =) 

I always try to connect to the 5G network whenever its available so I can imagine how annoying it must be for you to have to jump through hoops just to get connected to it. 

Are you only having issues on your MacBook, or are there other devices that also have issues connecting to 5G? Is the new modem installed in the same location as your old one? When you are finally able to connect to 5G is the signal strong or are you missing bars on your devices?

We look forward to your response!

RogersTony

I've Been Here Awhile

Seems to be happening on my iPhone as well, I just don't notice it as often as I have cell data to fall back on.

New modem is installed in the same place, and once I'm connected it has full signal and good speeds

Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Hey @shane_90,

Thanks for getting back to us. Can you check the current firmware your modem is running? You can check on the loaded version by logging into the modem and on the Status page which is displayed, look for the Software Version (Firmware) that is loaded. If it isn't 2.0.10.34T6, please do a factory reset of the modem.

Kind regards,

RogersCilio

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi,

It's already 2.0.10.34T6

Hello @shane_90,

Since you are on the latest Firmware we will need to take a look at the settings on your modem to see if there is anything that could be impairing the 5G signal and run a few more tests. Please send a Private Message to @CommunityHelps so we can pull up your info and get started on this. If you are not familiar with our Private Messaging system please click here.

We look forward to your message! =)

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm wondering if your wifi passphrases use special characters, which the Hitron modems seem to have issues with.  There have been updates previously to address this, but, i don't know if all of the character based issues has been addressed.  

You could run a simple passphrase for test purposes to see if that makes any difference. 

I've Been Around

5G is on but isn't appearing on ANY device since yesterday

I'm not a networking expert but I'll call myself a computer "power user".

I have a CGN3AMR Router, hardware version 1A, software version 4.5.8.33.

In my router's settings (accessed by typing 192.168.0.1 into a web-browser) I have both the 2.4G and 5G networks turned on. Sometime between yesterday and today the network for 5G disappeared from the list of available networks on all my devices. I used the 5G network on my laptop, Xbox, and smartphone, since I use them in the same room as the router.

I only noticed because my Xbox is no longer connected to the internet, and looking for the 5G network on all my devices yields no results. I even downloaded a WiFi analyzer app on my phone to see the relative strength of all the wireless networks in range and on what band they operate. 

The reason I point out my network inexperience is because the only thing that's happened (that I know of) since yesterday is a Rogers truck was on my street this morning for a few hours, and in that time the internet would cut in and out.

I'm really at a loss for who to even direct my troubles to.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TroyJasper are you still having problems with the missing 5Ghz wifi network?  If you haven't done it already, restart/reboot the modem.  Pull the power, wait for 10 to 15 seconds and plug it back it.  See if that cures the problem.  If not, log into the modem and cycle the 5 Ghz wifi, On, Off, On, saving the change every time that you change it. 

In a worst case scenario, although its a pain to reset the modem, run a factory reset on the modem .... ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Factory Reset.