5G Network not broadcasting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: 5G Network not broadcasting

Hello everyone. I'm not sure if I should make this a new topic, but my issue is related to the 5G network on the Rocket modem so here I go.

I have a Rocket modem (CGN3ACSMR, software version 4.5.8.16) and after every power outage the modem doesn't restore the 5 GHz network. To me this seems like a software issue, because when I go into the settings it says that the network is on. Yet the 5G light is off, and no device in my home can see the SSID for the 5 GHz network.

This is not a major issue for me because I can repair it by turning the network off and on again in the settings. I am reporting it in the hopes that somebody in Rogers will verify if this is a global issue, and petition a software patch.

Cheers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have experieced the same issue, and resolve it the same way you do. However I've noticed this on 4.5.8.16 and now 4.5.8.20 (which I'm currenly on)

Sometimes I fix it by unplugging the modem for 10 seconds and powering it back on, other times I'll login to the modem and turn 5Ghz off and back on.

I've Been Around

Last week sometime, my 5G network stopped broadcasting. It was working perfectly and it just stopped.

And the light turned out on the front of the modem/router. Rogers tech support had no answer and said I needed to do a factory reset.

But I changed the 'channel' settings for the 5G wifi from 149 (auto), to 149-153-157-161, saved the settings and boom - problem solved.

I figure a neighbour set up their own 5G network and knocked mine out.

So much for "auto" I guess....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is where an application like inSSIDer comes into play.  Load that on a laptop, hopefully dual band and it will display the networks that the laptop can receive in its current location.  The linked version below is the last freebie version released.  It doesn't show the 802.11ac networks, so the 5 Ghz picture isn't the total network picture, so to speak.  There is a newer licenced version out now that does, and which works on a normal 802.11n laptop.  it reads the transmit headers and displays the 802.11ac networks that are also up and running.  For $20 US, its invaluable for situations such as this.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

I Plan to Stick Around

I have the CGN3AC modem and find the 5G wifi very unreliable, can anyone suggest a fix for this? Thanks in advance

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It might be a matter of switching to a channel 149 or higher, as the power output limits for those channels are higher.  Then there is the issue of who you're competing with for clear channels. 

Here is some food for thought.  Load inSSIDer on your laptop, which is a wifi monitoring application. When loaded on a dual band laptop, inSSIDer will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks that can be detected by your laptop.   Have a look to see what you're competing with in both bands. In a suburban area, the 2.4 Ghz band is usually pretty crowded and tough to work in.  Usually the 5 Ghz band is less crowded and easier to find a clear channel.  After you have a look at the display, you might be able to determine if there is a a better 5 Ghz channel at or above channel 149.  The program link below is for the last freebie version which doesn't process or display 802.11ac networks.  A new version is out now that will handle 802.11ac networks in the 5 Ghz band, and which will work on a "normal" 802.11n laptop.  The new version will read the broadcast management frames and display the 802.11ac networks that are running in the 5 Ghz band. If you are using 5 Ghz channels, its worth the $20 U.S. to buy, so that you can see a complete picture of the networks that are running nearby.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

What you want to see on the graphical display is that your network is the highest network shown, which indicates that it has the highest received power of all the received networks. Generally you want somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 to 45 dBmW separation between your network and any other network that is on the same or overlapping channel. So, while your network should be the tallest on the display, everything else should be well below yours. When that power level separation decreases, you end up with interference and possibly with problems maintaining a wifi network. Your only option is to change to a channel with less overlap from the competition.

Here's the link to Version 4, which is a licenced version.

There is also the issue of what device you are using and how many antenna it has, 1, 2 or more.  1 or 2 is typical.  A single antenna wifi system works, but it can be noticeably slow.  2 or more antenna should be the preference. Of course, thats up to the manufacturer to build and the end user to eventually discover when the wifi rates turn out to be something other than what they are expected to be.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

D'oh, here's the missing link:

http://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/personal/

I've Been Around

I have the exact same problem

Rogers 5G wifi showing up on 3 devices but not one laptop

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Does that laptop, have 5g wireless?

Compared to most cell phones, etc, there is still a large number of laptops that only come with 2.4 wireless in them.

I've Been Around

Ignite 150u and no 5g 

I recently switched from 100u to 150u and now my 5g isn't showing up? Anyone know why?

Thanks!

Topic Stats