5G Network not broadcasting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: 5G Network not broadcasting

Hi Datalink, I purchased my laptop more than 3, 4 years ago, Acer 4820tg and my wife Acer 5830tg. I tried to google what wireless band they supported, but I was not be able to.. hm.. what would be my option? Would connect another wireless router to Hitron modem produce 100Mbs download speed? Or I have no option, but to downgrade my speed to 60Mbs package?

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sklin88 wrote:
Hi Viven, I suspected my laptop might not supported 5Ghz, as it's more than 3 years old... so does that mean the maximum I can get is 50 Mbs download speed (so far that is what I got from 2.4Ghz wireless connection) cause if that is the case I should call Rogers to reduce from100u to 60, since I would never be able to get more than 50 Mbs download speed?

The age of the laptop has nothing to do with it - my mom had a 2006-era laptop that could do 5GHz, every real business laptop (Dell Latitude/Lenovo ThinkPad) I've seen since 2008 had Intel cards that can do 5GHz (though in theory you could order them with single-band options), every Apple laptop since I don't know when (mid-2000s probably) can do 5GHz, while I could walk into Best Buy tomorrow and 80%+ of the Windows laptops there would be 2.4GHz-only. It's solely a question of the manufacturer being cheap or not. If anything, it's gotten worse now that it's gotten much harder to get a CTO consumer laptop in Canada...

I think that, given those circumstances, you need to think long and hard about a couple of things:

1) Do you have any other devices that would benefit from the extra speed?

2) The 60 plan has a monthly download limit (I forget how much); the 100 is unlimited. Does that matter for your needs?

3) Would you do something about the 2.4GHz-only laptops? You can get a dual-band USB wireless dongle, which is ugly, or if you have fairly advanced computer surgery skills and the laptops are not HP/Lenovo, it is usually possible to replace the wireless card with a higher-quality, dual-band, etc. one. I've done it on a number of machines, but that is far outside the range of things I'm comfortable recommending in this forum; that being said, if you are comfortable with a screwdriver and your particular laptop isn't too difficult to take apart, it may at least be worth 10 minutes of Googling to see other people's experiences with the same model.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks VivienM for your quick reply!!

Yeah, I am still trying to search if my wife and my laptop (Acer 4820tg and Acer 5830tg) supported 5GHz or not... still couldn't cofirmed at the moment...
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sklin88 wrote:
Thanks VivienM for your quick reply!!

Yeah, I am still trying to search if my wife and my laptop (Acer 4820tg and Acer 5830tg) supported 5GHz or not... still couldn't cofirmed at the moment...

Given what you're reporting, I suspect they don't, but...

What network cards do they have? Windows should be able to tell you - it's possibly Intel, most likely Realtek/Atheros/Broadcom, followed by some model number @Datalinkand I can look up...

If it was me (I have a strict policy of essentially not buying any 2.4GHz-only things anymore, though I do have a Kobo, a Harmony Hub, and a digital camera that are 2.4-only, but those aren't big bandwidth guzzlers), given we're talking Acers, I'd be looking into buying some Intel 7260ACs and doing surgery, but I am obviously very reluctant to actually recommend that to someone else...

I'm Here A Lot

ok, here is what I found for Acer 5830tg:
under "wireless and networking": WLAN:
1, 11, 12
• Acer InviLink™ Nplify™ 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™
• Acer InviLink™ 802.11b/g Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™
• Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205, 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi
CERTIFIED™ with Acer Nplify™, featuring MIMO
technology
• Supporting Acer SignalUp™ wireless technology

Does that mean this laptop supprot 5G?

Thanks
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sklin88 wrote:
1, 11, 12
technology

Thanks

It means you need to look up your specific configuration of 5830tg... or look at Device Manager on your actual machine and see what you have.

What this is telling you is that Acer shipped 5830tgs with one of three options: the first two are single-band, while the Intel 6205 is dual-band. This is fairly common with laptop manufacturers: they offer a 'family' that shares the same motherboard/case/etc, but is offered in different configurations with different processors/storage/wireless cards (and sometimes even screens).

I'm Here A Lot

@VivienM wrote:

@sklin88 wrote:
1, 11, 12
technology

Thanks

It means you need to look up your specific configuration of 5830tg... or look at Device Manager on your actual machine and see what you have.

What this is telling you is that Acer shipped 5830tgs with one of three options: the first two are single-band, while the Intel 6205 is dual-band. This is fairly common with laptop manufacturers: they offer a 'family' that shares the same motherboard/case/etc, but is offered in different configurations with different processors/storage/wireless cards (and sometimes even screens).

ok, got it...  I suspect 5830tg also doesn't support 5Ghz... still trying to find that in Device Manager...

if that's the case.. my next option is to buy the dual-band USB wireless dongle so I can get 100Mbs...  or else I have to buy a new computer...

I'm Here A Lot

quick question, would this one gonna work for my laptop?

From Bestbuy: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/d-link-d-link-xtreme-n-dual-band-usb-adapter-dwa-160-re-refurbis...

Thanks 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sklin88 wrote:

quick question, would this one gonna work for my laptop?

From Bestbuy: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/d-link-d-link-xtreme-n-dual-band-usb-adapter-dwa-160-re-refurbis...

Thanks 

If you're going to go the USB route, then I would be very hesitant to go for 802.11n gear today. Go 802.11ac; it's a bit more futureproof.

Also, refurbs from D-Link/Netgear/etc make me nervous. In my experience, those companies... don't have the best record of producing dependable hardware, and who knows whether the refurbishment process properly repairs whatever caused them to be returned in the first place.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To get to the device manager go START...... CONTROL PANEL..... DEVICE MANAGER ...... Network Adapters.  You should see at least two adapters listed, one ethernet, and one wifi.  Looking at the Intel Centrino page, it appears to be 5 Ghz capable.  Here's the link:

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/centrino-advanced-n-6205.html

From that page, "802.11agn, 2x2, dual band delivers up to 300 Mbps speed and greater range and reliability; 5 GHz boosts speeds and reduces congestion; energy efficient2 for greater mobility and convenience."  Translation, 2 receive antenna, 2 transmit antenna, usually one in the same, 300 Mb/s transmit / receive, which includes wifi overhead, so you really don't see 300 Mb/s on a speedtest, and 5 Ghz capable.

If you can copy and paste in the exact details from the wifi adapter, that should answer what the laptop is capable of very quickly. 

The problem that you are running into the the number of modems and routers that use the 2.4 Ghz band.  Usually its very badly oversubscribed, resulting in a good number of modems and routers competing for the same channels, to everyone's disappointment.  To see what you are up against load inSSIDer from the link below.  That is a wifi monitoring application that will show where you network is, in terms of received power, compared to the other networks that are running nearby.  It will show how many other routers are operating on the same channel as you, and whether or not there may be other channels that you can use that might have less interference.  Give that a go, and if you have any problems interpreting it, please let me know.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html