5G Network not broadcasting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

5G Network not broadcasting

I upgraded to HF150 in January a couple mos. back. 

After awhile I noticed my speed slowing down again.... The 5G broadcast is no longer showing on my laptop. When I try to create the connection from my Network Sharing centre (windows 8) it says the network already exists. 

I'm only getting speeds up to 50mbps for download... When I pull up the Connection software from the EasySetupKey, I can SEE the 5ghz network on there. 

Not overly savvy with networking issues and was wondering if someone could help me out. 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: 5G Network not broadcasting

I forgot to note that the 5G network shows up on my other devices such as tablets, phones and AppleTV... Just on the computer it won't show up... it used to... but not anymore. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are the network names different for both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks?  This is a problem sometimes when the same name is used for both networks.  The end device then has a problem connecting to the network that you want to use.

I've Been Here Awhile

I don't think so???

The one is PammieTee and the other is PammieTee-5G. The 5G shows up on my iPhone, tablet, etc and USED to show up on my laptop, but now its not.. Therefore I'm not getting the speeds that I should be. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That should be fine from a naming convention.

As for speeds...
Really even if the card on the laptop supports 5g... SPEED shouldnt really be a difference.
The max speed for the N between the 2.4 and the 5 are the exact same.

The only major difference.. is the 5 has a shorter range.. but while within that range will often have a stronger signal, so less chance of a bad signal between it and the router.
As well, you tend to NOT get the same interfearance on the 5 as you do with the 2.4 (from portables, microwaves, etc)

Which exact model card do you have in the laptop?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its a bit odd that you were using it before, but can't see the network now.  Have a look at the following link which is about changing the priority of networks that Windows wifi uses.  Assuming that the 5 Ghz network is received by the laptop now, you can change the network priorities so that the 5 Ghz network is the network of choice.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27067/change-wireless-network-priority-to-make-windows-7-choose-the-r...

Once that is done, if you disconnect from the 2.4 Ghz network, the laptop should then reconnect to the 5 Ghz network. 

For windows 8, wifi management has changed.  If you left click on the wifi symbol located on the lower right hand corner of your screen, it should bring up all of the local networks, ranked basically by receive power, so both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks should be at the top of the list, unless you have a nearby neighbour who is running a wifi router with enough power to put his network at the top of that list.  Selecting any of those list networks and then checkmarking "Connect Automatically" will have the same effect as the wifi list control in windows 7, pushing that network to the top of the list.  You can manually change that list priority by following the procedure as outlined in the following link:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/20152-wireless-networks-priority-change-windows-8-a.html

Thats a little more painful, but it should work.

To make sure that the laptop is seeing the 5 Ghz network, you can load inSSIDer on your laptop.  This will show, in list form and graphically, all of the routers that the laptop can detect.  Using the network display will tell you, as soon as you look at it, whether or not the laptop is seeing your 5 Ghz network.  This version does not do 802.11ac networks, which are becoming more prevalent.  So, if you intend to keep using the application, its worth spending the $20 for the newer version, which can read the network headers, even if the wifi card itself can't do 802.11ac.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

I'm Here A Lot

Help!!  Unable to find 5G wireless signal on the new installed hitron modem

I tried 4 hours, did research here and googled, I still couldn't figure out how I can find the 5G signal for my two laptops..

Both iPhone 6, iPhone 5 and Ipad found 5G and non-5G signal, but my wife and my latop could only find the non 5G signal, which is much slower than 5G (only 40Mbs download speed)

Is there any configuration I can change so I can use the 5G wireless connection which is 180 Mbs download??

Thank you so much

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sklin88 wrote:

Help!!  Unable to find 5G wireless signal on the new installed hitron modem

I tried 4 hours, did research here and googled, I still couldn't figure out how I can find the 5G signal for my two laptops..

Both iPhone 6, iPhone 5 and Ipad found 5G and non-5G signal, but my wife and my latop could only find the non 5G signal, which is much slower than 5G (only 40Mbs download speed)

Is there any configuration I can change so I can use the 5G wireless connection which is 180 Mbs download??

Thank you so much

Are you sure your laptops have wireless cards that can support 5GHz? Most consumer-grade Windows laptops do not...

Easy way to tell: if the specs say 802.11b/g/n, then that means 2.4GHz-only. Dual-band is advertised as 802.11a/b/g/n (or a/b/g/n/ac). Note the importance of the 'a' being there - 802.11a (like ac) is 5GHz-only...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup, agree with VivienM, if the apple devices can operate on the 5 Ghz networks and the laptops can't see the 5 Ghz networks, thats not a good sign.  Typical of laptops, but not good.  If you can list the exact model numbers of the laptops we can look up the specs and see what the wifi will support.

I'm Here A Lot

Hi Viven, I suspected my laptop might not supported 5Ghz, as it's more than 3 years old... so does that mean the maximum I can get is 50 Mbs download speed (so far that is what I got from 2.4Ghz wireless connection) cause if that is the case I should call Rogers to reduce from100u to 60, since I would never be able to get more than 50 Mbs download speed?
Topic Stats