500u internet upgrade to gigabit

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

500u internet upgrade to gigabit

Hi Guys,

I recently signed up for Rogers gigabit internet on a really good promotion.  When I signed up she said that the full gigabit speed was not available in my area yet so she put me on the 500u plan which gives me 500mbps download speed.  I just checked the Rogers website today and it's saying that gigabit internet is available at my postal code.  I just called in to Rogers tech support and he said he could try to put me onto the gigabit plan but he didn't know if it would affect my bill.  Do any of you guys have experience with this?  If we are on the 500u plan will it automatically upgrade to gigabit once it becomes available in our area?  If you guys have any insight into this I would really appreciate it.  Thanks!

***Edited Labels***

Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Re: 500u internet upgrade to gigabit

Hi @SickBeast

Thanks for posting on the Community Forums!

The upgrade is not automatic for the Gigabit plan from the 500u plan

You can get mnore information on the Gigabit plan here

Let us know if you would like to upgrade and we can assist!

@RogersPrasana

I Plan to Stick Around

Will I lose my promotion if I call in to upgrade?  My promo was for gigabit internet and VIP cable TV but they put me on the 500u plan because gigabit wasn't available in my area yet.  I am very concerned that if I call in to upgrade my plan to gigabit I will lose my promotion and then I will be unable to get it back.  I have experienced Rogers billing errors in the past and I want to be absolutely certain that this will not affect how much I pay in any way.

Someone else was telling me that the upgrade to gigabit will be automatic once it's available so now there is conflicting information.

Thank you for your help but I would really appreciate it if someone could confirm this whole process for me.  I really don't want to lose my current promotion.

I'm a Regular

What 500u plan??  On their website, plans are 5, 30, 60, 100, 250, and then gigabit.  Did they provision your account for an unadvertised speed/plan?

Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Hi @SickBeast

We would need to take a closer look at your promotion and look into your options for upgrade to the Gigabit plan based on your area.

Please send us a private message to @CommunityHelps the next time you are online and we can assist.

@RogersPrasana

I've Been Around

There are literally hundreds of us in the GTA that got this promo a couple of months ago and all of us that did not have gigabit service available in our neighbourhoods were put on "placeholder" 500u designation...

Moments ago, I received an in browser notification from Rogers that the Gigabit service was available in my area and that I should take my modem into the store for an upgrade..

Unfortunately, I could not reach either the Bayview villiage store or the Don Mills and Leslie location to confirm that they have the modems in stock. 

Not wanting to unhook everything without confirmation, I called in and booked a techician...

Hopefully this transition goes through as promissed...

I Plan to Stick Around

Has anyone been upgraded to gigbit from 500 speeds?  I'd love to get 1000 down if it truly has become available in my area.  Is rogers going to charge more money for the plan since techincally we are on 500?  Also you think I could ask the store for the gigabit modem get one and plug it in and automatically get gigabit speed?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@bobbydigital, you can tell if your CMTS which the modem connects to is ready to support gigabit rates.  Log into your modem and navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page.  If you're still on the older Cisco CMTS you will have 20 downstream channels.  If you have 24 downstream channels that indicates that you're modem is connected to the new Casa Systems CMTS which support gigabit rates. 

You can also do this:  navigate to the STATUS ...... DOCSIS EVENT page and have a look for one of the following sequences:

a. CMTS-MAC=00:17:10   which indicates that you are connected to a Casa Systems Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS), or;
b. any of the following which indicates that you are connected to a Cisco Systems CMTS.

1.  CMTS-MAC=00:05:00
     2.  CMTS-MAC=00:12:43  
     3.  CMTS-MAC=00:14:f1
     4.  CMTS-MAC=00:1e:be
     5.  CMTS-MAC=00:1f:ca   
     6.  CMTS-MAC=e0:2f:6d       Note:  there may be other Cicso MAC addresses
                                                                      as well which are not on this list yet.

So, if you are now on a Casa Systems CMTS, in theory you should be able to swap modems at a Rogers store.  Note that there is a change in the plans that has to occur in order for the modem to be configured to run at gigabit rates.  I don't know enough about that aspect to tell you what has to happen as you're on a special plan at the moment.  It has to be done right so that you stay on your gigabit deal, but the modem swap and increased data rates occur.  Maybe one of the mods can provide more detail in that regard.

Just to note there is a problem with the Casa System CMTS / Hitron modem operations.  There is a technical incompatibility that is resulting in high ping times just to the CMTS.  That of course affects all of the downstream times to anywhere, which is not good for gaming or other latency intolerant applications.  In my case, with the CGNM-3552 gigabit modem, I see ping times up into the high 200 ms range with an overall average of 20 ms, just to the CMTS which is the next node beyond the modem.  So, as they say, "be careful of what you wish for", or is it, "the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side"?  Something like that......

I Plan to Stick Around

I just switchted Gigabit and my Docsis Wan Status looks nothing like anything posted here. They told me I'm on the 500u plan as the area isn't ready yet for Gigabit. I'm just curious is the Status page is messed up or not.

Spoke to another online rep (Tech support) and they said Gigabit is available but signal from the street is weak. My Docsis Wan info looks wierd.  What could be the issue?

chrome_2016-08-29_16-00-04.png

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

where on the rogers site do i go to check if my area is gigabit ready ? im on that 500u place holder plan as well...i want the full speed!