500U Slow Speeds

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: 500U Slow Speeds

Hitron on 500u: slow WiFi (50 mbps), but fast on Network Cable (750 mbps)

For some reason, I'm not able to get more than ~50mbps down over WiFi (both 2.4 and 5.0) since the slowdown earlier in the week (upload looks fine at expected 20 mbps).

Which is strange because over Network Cable I'm getting 750 mbps down, no problem.

Testing procedure:

- All other devices disconnected from modem/internet

- Tested first on Laptop, second on Smartphone

- Tested on 5.0 Ghz, then on 2.4 Ghz

- Same results on both devices, both frequencies (45-50 down / 20 up).

Earlier in the week, I was getting ~450 mbps down through the WiFi, no problem. Then there was those two days with regional issues that affected lots of Rogers Internet customers (Greater Toronto Area, I'm downtown personally).

Internet Plan: 500u (up to 500 mbps / 20 mbps)

Modem: Hitron CODA-4582U (using default settings for Wireless)

Any suggestions?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@InternetUser289 primary recommendation, don’t use the default parameters.  Please have a read thru the following settings and change your wifi settings to the indicated settings.

Check/set the following 2.4 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode: 802.11 g/n   If “n” only is available and you don’t have any g devices, use n only.

Channel Bandwidth: 20/40 Mhz  It will default to 20 Mhz in a crowded environment.

Wireless channel: Channel 1, 6, or 11.    See the bottom paragraphs.

WPS Enabled: OFF

Security Mode: WPA-Personal  

Auth Mode: WPA2-PSK   

Encrypt Mode: AES only     Do not use any form of TKIP or TKIP/AES combo as TKIP is no longer secure

Save the changes.

In the Advanced tab, disable the Band Steering in order to force / leave your wifi devices on their selected wifi networks. 

Save the changes.

Band steering will force the device to switch back and forth between the 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks as it sees fit.  I don’t know if that’s based on data rate or signal level combined with signal to noise ratios.  Band steering might not necessarily work in your favour, so, if your intention is to force some devices up to the 5 Ghz band as outlined below, disable Band Steering.

Check/set the following 5 Ghz wifi parameters:

Wireless Mode: 802.11 a/n/ac mixed

Channel Bandwidth: 80 Mhz

Wireless channel: 149 to 165     Use this higher channel range as it runs higher transmit power levels.

WPS Enabled: OFF

Security Mode: WPA-Personal

Auth Mode: WPA2-PSK

Encrypt Mode: AES only     Do not use any form of TKIP or TKIP/AES combo as TKIP is no longer secure

Save the changes.

In the Advanced tab, disable the Band Steering in order to force / leave your wifi devices on their selected wifi networks.

Save the changes.

Reboot your router after the changes have been saved.

Note that the network name and passphrase fields should be filled with long, random character strings.  Its 32 characters long.  The network name is rarely typed into a device so that can be filled, totally, with random characters.  It should not identify you or your home.  The passphase should also be long and random.  The field is 62 or 63 characters long depending on which character sets are used.  I recommend filling the field, recognizing that its a pain when it comes to entering the passphrase into handheld devices.  If not, use a long phrase that means something to you, and which should be at least 25 characters long.  The purpose of this is to prevent hackers from using precomputed hash tables which are built from combinations of simple known network names combined with words (passphrases) found in a dictionary for example.  Random network names and passphrases will defeat the use of those precomputed tables, hopefully to the point that any hacker will go elsewhere.  Totally random fields doesn't make wifi impervious, just tougher to crack by using brute force computing methods.  

Next, look at your wifi environment and see who else you're competing with for usable channels.  Load Winfi – Lite onto a windows laptop and then do a walk about, around your home and upstairs to see what the channel situation looks like.  Stop in place for two to three minutes for the data and display to settle out.  As you walk around your home, if it’s a large home, you will see differences in signal levels for your network and neighbours networks as well, hopefully not to a point where your signal levels drop sufficiently, or the neighbour’s network signal levels rise sufficiently to become a problem. 

Winfi-Lite can be downloaded from https://www.helge-keck.com/

After that is loaded and started, select the “i” for info icon in the second row from the top.  That will bring up the lower info display.  In that display, select “Spectrum” to bring up the graphical channel display.  That display will show either the 2.4 or 5 Ghz channels or both depending on the topmost selection of 2.4 Ghz, 5 Ghz, or both.   That selection will also dictate the data that is displayed in the text data.  Those data columns can be moved left and right and can be used to sort the columns upwards or downwards by selecting the column title to run the sort routine. 

So, have a look at that graphical display, in conjunction with the text data to see how many other users are on the channels that you have selected.  If your 2.4 Ghz band is like mine, it’s probably a write off, and there is probably no good channel to select as every channel is crowded with multiple users.  There really isn’t any good solution to this except to abandon the 2.4 Ghz band and move everything that you can up to the 5 Ghz band. 

In the 5 Ghz band you should probably be up in the channel 149 to 161 band as those channels are transmitted with the highest output power levels allows by Industry Canada.  Even with competition from your neighbour’s networks in those channels, you’ll probably find that those channels are still faster, in comparison to the lower channels where there might not be any other networks running.  The higher transmit power does make a considerable difference in the data rates that you will see.  That can only be confirmed with speedtests using both low and high channel ranges.  The only exception to this would be if you’re normally using a wifi device in close proximity to the modem for most of the time. Using Winfi’s text data and graphical display should help in determining what channel is the most useful.

Ok, give that a go and let us know how it turns out.  It should result in faster wifi performance unless you’re in a terrible wifi environment.  Winfi Lite should provide an indication of your wifi environment.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi. I tried all of those options, nothing helped.

But today I noticed my Smartphone was now hitting 200 mbps down, 20 mbps up.

So I Google'd and found this website: https://windowsreport.com/fix-slow-wifi-laptop.

I tried the step to update Wireless Network Adapter driver for my laptop, and there was an update available. After updating the driver, I'm getting 500 mbps down on my laptop now.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@InternetUser289 , yup, when in doubt, check the wifi driver.  Guess I'll have to add that to my list.  If you happen to have an Intel chipset laptop and/or pc, go to the Intel Driver and Support Assistant site, load the Driver and Support Assistant and let the app scan your laptop or pc for any updates.  The app will indicate which updates are available.  

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

I still recommend using the high 5 Ghz channels simply due to their max power output, which will give you the most range from any modem or router, for the 5 Ghz channels.  

I also recommend looking at your wifi environment at least once week with Winfi Lite so that you know whats normal in terms of the neighbours networks.  That way, when one of the neighbours installs a mesh network or new modem/router, and interferes with your networks, you'll have a reasonable idea of what the problem might be. 

Fwiw, the section titled "Make sure no energy saving settings are imposed on the wireless card" is actually good advice.  There are two components to this, the first which is the ability for the operating system to put the wifi card to sleep, which can be disabled.  The second is the wifi output power depending on whether the laptop is on battery power or plugged in.  You can adjust both if you prefer to max power, which will also increase the operating range and data rate from the modem or router.  I suspect that it doesn't cause a large drain on the laptop's battery as I've set one of our laptops that way and it doesn't seem to suffer from the wifi power setting.