cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd ip with gigabit plan?

amp3d
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Guys,

Quick question for the networking pros out there!

I recently just picked up an older server that I'm going to play around with some virtual machines and linux and stuff, and was wondering if Rogers allows us (paid or otherwise) to have a 2nd ip address.

Specifically, my gigabit modem is in bridge mode and I'm using my own router. I'd love to be able to give my server in the basement an outside ip of it's own, does rogers allow that?

Thanks for your time!

*** Edited Labels *** 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: 2nd ip with gigabit plan?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes.  In Bridge mode, the modem will supply two IPV4 addresses and an unlimited number of IPV6 addresses.  There is another Rogers product in service, don't know what it is, but it provides or has to provide two IPV4 addresses.  As long as that product is in service, then its probably safe to say that you will see the same from the other Rogers modems.  I run my CODA-4582 in bridge mode, as I have with previous modems, and use the second IPv4 IP address for test purposes from time to time.  Just remember, in Bridge mode, the modem offers no firewall services, so you will have to protect that second device with your own firewall. 

amp3d
I've Been Here Awhile
This is exactly what I was hoping. My modem is already in bridge mode as I use my own router solution.

I attempted this today (plugging my desktop into a 2nd port on the modem in bridge mode) and it "sorta worked".

Specifically, it seemed to assign a IPV6 address to my PC. I could pull up google, and even return search results. I couldn't ping any addresses though, and most websites would not load?

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here? Should I call tech support with Rogers?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds like it may only be getting IPv6?

As mentioned though.. this is not necessarily a SAFE way to do it either.. that the box is outside fully facing, it opens it up to just about anything, if there is an issue where something insnt patche properly, etc.. it can be hit.

Overall, the BEST thing for running a server, would be then to leave it INSIDE the network, and forward only the important/necessary ports.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When you plug the desktop into the 2nd port, start, or restart/reboot the desktop.  After the start/restart/reboot you should see both addresses.  With a web browser, go to ipv6-test.com to test both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses and connectivity.  If you have an IPV6 ICMP rule added to your windows firewall on the desktop you should see a maximum score of 19/20 as Rogers does not provide an IPV6 host name.  17/20 would indicate that the firewall requires an IPV6 rule added to allow ICMP.  4/20 would indicate IPV4 only. 

After that, run an IPV6 trace: tracert -6 www.google.com

The trace should run all the way to google without hanging up anywhere and timing out. 

nl2
I Plan to Stick Around

As of this morning, I am unable to obtain second ipv4. This has not been a problem in the past years. Did Rogers change something or is it just me?

Hello @nl2,

Unexpected changes are never fun to deal with!

I am not aware of any specific changes done in the last few days. We have been rolling out new firmware to the CODA - 4582 modem that allows the ability to toggle IPV6 functionality on and off. There was nothing mentioned related to issues obtaining a secondary IPV4.

Can you confirm what modem you are using currently and are you using your own Wireless Router?

Regards,

RogersTony 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Using a router wouldn't change anything as its the modem that supplies a second IPV4 address to the second device.  

Fwiw, at the moment I'm running the CODA-4582 with V2.0.10.30 loaded for test purposes, using a second connection to the modem.  The modem is in Bridge mode and is supplying both primary and secondary IPV4 addresses.  

nl2
I Plan to Stick Around

Back online with 2nd ip after 24h outage.

Forgot to mention that I have a CODA-4582 HW 1A with firmware 2.0.10.27 running in bridge mode. While I was at it, I plugged both interfaces directly into the CODA-4582 lan ports. Quite handy as this freed up the ports on my switch.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The only problem with connecting directly to the modem while its in Bridge mode is the lack of a firewall.  So, the devices that are used in this configuration have to be able to protect themselves.  If you used two routers, no issue.  But, if you were using anything else, then those devices require a good firewall. 

The other drawback is the ARP requests that are seen on the interface.  While I was running ping tests today with .30, I had wireshark up and running just to see how many ARP requests were arriving from the CMTS.  So, its a Saturday, which means that there are probably fewer requests in the system.  None the less, over a 36 minute period, the average rate was 4566.1 requests per min, or 76 ARP requests per second.  I haven't checked out the addresses to see where they originate from, but, a good majority are not from the Rogers network.  The router drops those ARP requests, so the end devices usually don't see those.