cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

150 Mbps1 Definition?

ALove1
I've been around

Hello,

On the Internet sales page that lists all the available packages, each of the download speeds ends in a tiny 1, such as

150 Mbps1.  What does that tiny 1 at the end of Mbps mean?

Thank you,
ALOVE1

*** Edited Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: 150 Mbps1 Definition?

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

The use of those small numbers (called footnotes) go back to documents, publications, or legal contracts where additional information was provided at the bottom of the page. The use of footnotes has been carried over to web pages. That is the intent on the Rogers page, but there is no actual footnote provided.

The missing footnote would likely have a disclaimer indicating that the maximum speed may be lower during peak usage.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Bplayer
I'm a trusted contributor

The use of those small numbers (called footnotes) go back to documents, publications, or legal contracts where additional information was provided at the bottom of the page. The use of footnotes has been carried over to web pages. That is the intent on the Rogers page, but there is no actual footnote provided.

The missing footnote would likely have a disclaimer indicating that the maximum speed may be lower during peak usage.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bplayer wrote:

That is the intent on the Rogers page, but there is no actual footnote provided.

@ALove1  On other product/service pages on the Rogers web site, those footnotes can usually be found at the bottom of the page in the "See Full Details" section.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just as an FYI, most people on Rogers get the speed they pay for.  I'm on 300 mbps down and regularly get 400-500 (on speedtest websites due to Rogers "speedboost").  This is measured "at the modem".   After some time, Speedboost is no longer in play and the modem will ramp down to the speed you pay for - for example in large downloads that may take minutes.

The only people who don't get the full speed are typically people on Gigabit, so anyone below that should get what they pay for since the infrastructure is designed for Gigabit.  This assumes a hard wired connection and appropriate computer hardware.  WiFi has too many variables to be "guaranteed" and needs to be analyzed separately.  There may be some select areas (nodes) that have bottlenecks, but they're relatively rare.

These are sometimes called "disclaimers".  😉

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 in conversation