Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100% Rogers throttle speeds

warhawkice
I've been here awhile

I live in Keswick and did a survey of 921 homes and nobody gets speeds above
600mb

Hi technician come to my house and check out the lines and my modem and check the node at the boulevard.the technician said everything is 100% good.

I’ve talk to in Everybody in my neighbourhood and in the surrounding Keswick area where nobody has ever achieved a one gigabit speed that Rogers Claims

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: 100% Rogers throttle speeds

warhawkice
I've been here awhile

Well i was wrong (ROGERS DOES NOT THROTTLE INTERNET SPEED )  Had a real rogers service technician 

come to our  neighborhood now speed is 600mb to 850mb. check with all neighbours everything perfect

thank you moderators  for help 

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

RogersTony

Hello, @warhawkice 

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I know how important it is to get fast speeds on your devices especially when you are paying for Gigabit speeds.

The speeds are based on aggregate to the entire home and not to one specific device. In order to determine if you are getting true gigabit speeds to your home, you must simultaneously perform two wired speed tests and add up the total speed of both tests which should be over 1 GB. If you do not have two wired devices you can use one wired device and one device connected via 5G Wi-Fi within 3 meters of the modem.

Please ensure you are using a CAT5e or above ethernet cable. CAT6 is referred for Gigabit plans.

Let us know the results you are getting from the two devices' simultaneous speed test.

RogersTony

I live up in keswick as well.. wasnt aware gigabit was available up there now (supposedly?)
Max prior was 500mbps.

With speed boost, I have pulled just over 600 before on my test at home.  but I only have the 500 package.

Where exactly are you doing the speed test? (what site, with what endpoints, etc)
And with what hardware, over wired/wireless as Tony asked?
(it can make a difference)

Its possible, even if they are 'selling' the 1gb service.. that the infrastructure up there can not handle it and wont reach 1gbps.. (and is not necessarily throttling)

warhawkice
I've been here awhile

yes I just try what you suggested on pc and lab top together several times and still only get the max  527mb down 

but alway get 35mb up  load.

warhawkice
I've been here awhile

doing test at speed test .net

your lucky i pay for gigabit speeds . i guess my neighborhood  to many people on line 

I even had rogers tech hook up his lab  top to boulevard box and he got what i got 

warhawkice
I've been here awhile

Well i was wrong (ROGERS DOES NOT THROTTLE INTERNET SPEED )  Had a real rogers service technician 

come to our  neighborhood now speed is 600mb to 850mb. check with all neighbours everything perfect

thank you moderators  for help 

Yeah, sometimes a tweek of a signal, etc.. is all it needs to get stuff up and going proper.

850 is pretty good, even in a best case scenario, unless you were running a 10gbps card and router, you might be hard pressed to get that across a single line (on a regular 1gbps card, etc).

Speedtest can have some varying results too, all based on WHAT endpoint you choose too.

I wonder if you would get any other results on the rogers speed test?
https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/internet-speedtest
As it should be straight to rogers and not really going outside the network at all.
Yes, its not a 'real world' scenario as you will often be accessing outside of rogers network... but rogers can really on guarantee the speeds between you and them.. anything outside will start slowing down some.

hope you didn't got free internet to post it!!

Sanjeev1569
I've been here awhile
This is plainly stupid. Have you checked thi methodology with your peer providers south of the border? Put simply Rogers is a monoply that needs to be broken. Rogers family has made enough billions oof Canadian's backs.

Sanjeev1569
I've been here awhile
For last 1.5 hours cant seem to watch amazon prime video without bandwidth interruptions every 2-3 minutes in a house of 2 individuals with total of 4 devices connected on supposedly fastest home internet that ontarians can buy from Rogers at non competitively high prices because of federal govt supported monoply.

Sanjeev1569
I've been here awhile
Well you are plain wrong per observations in my neighborhood. So please dont generalize to encourage monopolistic practices of Rogers

Just complaining in this way wont help anyone nor fix anyone's issues.
My wife was watching prime just fine yesterday for like 3 hours non stop..  so is rogers throttling connections to prime specifically?? Not likely.

IF they were to be doing some form of that.  (which they DID do in the past against torrents, and they DID get heavily fined by the CRTC at the time and had to stop it), it would likely be localized.  They would be doing it to everyone.

Like you said, your neighborhood might be different.  But more than likely something else, and not specifically throttling, etc.  Could be something as simple as the local nodes, or the whole area, is OVERSOLD, and cant technically manage the load especially with extra people at home right now.   That could effect overall speeds, amongst other things.. overall choking peoples connection to any number of things.   outside of any sort of other issues where that specific node is having other issues.

All that in the end really doesnt have anything to do with monopolistic practices.  
Except for a few rare cases where its say a new subdivision where its a contract for JUST rogers or bell lines to start..  You generally have the choice of either of those.  And if you have the choice of those, you do have the choice of choosing any 3rd party ones which run on the rogers/bell lines as well.  So there is a lot of choices.
Each person need to research and choose which ones service is best for them

Darios
I plan to stick around

few years ago Rogers did throttle speeds.   I think this is happening again.

My download speeds went down drastically on most of the devices -  actually on ALL devices ( Mac OS, iOS,  Apple TV , Windows10), except for devices runnign on linux.  On both  wired and wireless connections,   the download speed is 2 x times faster with the VPN  on,  hence   bypassing some of Rogers infrastructure  servers.  As soon as I turn off the VPN and the traffic is rerouted back to regular Rogers servers download speed drops down by  30-50%.

If they do that how could we force Rogers to stop this practice ? ... my contract is / paid for 1Gbps package, but in reality Im getting 500Mbps.    THIS IS TOTALLY UNFAIR, and totally frustrating.   Any advice is really appreciated. 

Is anybody able to provide a reasonable, alternate explanation for much faster internet  with the  VPN on , besides the service provider throttling the speed ?  Thank you. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Routing.
Could be bad routing, a bad node or something along the way between you and the endpoint.

Lets say by default, to get to the endpoint your looking at, goes from your house, though rogers backbone, then lets say onto level3 at the border (lets say crossing somewhere near niagra falls, for a visual represntation), then across 1-2 more in the US till the end source.
Now turn on your VPN.  Your trying to get to that same endpoint.  its routing for how/where it wants you to get there, can be completely different.  It might cross to the US at a completely different point.
If that one node there is fine, and the one that rogers is using isn't.. could cause it to be slower on rogers than otherwise.
(I bring up level3 up above, as there was actually an issue a number of years ago, where they actually ran into an issue with IPV4, where they actually RAN OUT of addresses to assign and were essentially overloaded and could not process enough different users data at one time.)

Our phone system at work here, is on a private MPLS network with a few of our locations and the provider.  The provider has a few nodes that the locations connect to.   Normally our location routes to A, another say to B, etc. (but all are interconnected).  But if they need to do work on A, they change how our routing is, that its routing to B instead.  Perhaps more latency, etc with it, but allows us to stay up while they bring the one node down.

As for the Linux not being throttled???
IF it was rogers end, generally any throttling etc that has been done, would be overall on the WHOLE speed.
(if you look at it, a house might be able to get the 1gbps package there, but they only pay for the 150.  So its throttled down for that).   Or its by protocol.
The major throttling they got slapped for, was they were throttling torrent data.  Anything using that protocol was throttled, other data wasnt.
A http request say from a windows machine and a linux machine.. SHOULD look the same protocol wise.. so would be throttled the same way?

Darios
I plan to stick around

@Gdkitty  thank you for your comments; all seems to be good and reasonable points that you raised,  but not convincing enough;

- why Rogers would be sending traffic to its dedicated speed test servers thru extra NODES, to increase routing route complexity...that makes little to almost no-sense.  If they are doing that,  then their network engineering team has some serious thinking to do....   I've  used  RogersSpeedTest app, which I think is utilizing  reputable  ookla.

- throttling can be done by a device or by type of internet usage; you raised a question about how come my linux is not being throttled but the rest of 14 devices are...I got a simple answer;  the Linux machine is used  exclusively for work -always on VPN- never for non work related stuff....the remaining 14 devices are pretty much used for entertainment, socializing, little bit of everything ...etc ---> aka easy target for throttling. 

I will bring it up with Rogers Support team just out of curiosity, without high expectations. Most likely I'll   get the same attitude as we all usually get from their techie team, paraphrasing  "...sir,  there is nothing going on with Rogers...its you its not us... " LOL.  I'll keep this treat posted on that just for the pure entertainment out of it... 

***Please check it out, this is coming from a rather reputable source:

https://broadbandnow.com/guides/am-i-being-throttled

Thx

Start
I've been around

I’m having the exact same problem. I’m paying for 500 Mbps, and my speed test shows 200Mbps. When I turn on my VPN, my speed goes to 480Mbps. When I do a speed test and select a server different from Rogers, I get results from 450 - 600. I tried selecting many different Rogers servers, but they are all the same. About 200 Mbps.

Is there a solution?

Pguy
I plan to stick around

Hi, Start.   I think they throttle when your VPN is on (but they won't admit it).   No one seems to care or not enough people are complaining as they probably don't realize what the problem is. 

My typical speed is 25-30 (25/5 profile) so it's great usually but use a vpn and it eventually goes down to around 3mb or around there (3-5mb and the upload speed is a bit less).   This happens all the time, periodically.  

I know this is old thread but, there are a few issues with the aggregate explanation. On the old 1gb 50 I got 750 down and 100 up like clockwork. Then it got slower and slower to the point it was 50 down. Upgrade to 1.5gb 50, now I get a single stream at 450mb and 50 up..one of the current issues, well has been for some time is the garbage modems Roger's uses. These things sell for 69.99..if you think there is even 1 quality part in that plastic piece of garbage you would be wrong

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Micmac1 wrote:
...Upgrade to 1.5gb 50, now I get a single stream at 450mb and 50 up..one of the current issues, well has been for some time is the garbage modems Roger's uses. 

Is that WiFi or Ethernet connected? With the 1.5 Gbps plan you need to have an XB7 or XB8 gateway and you need to have your own equipment capable of those speeds since a lot of equipment is not, especially via WiFi.  Please see my post and the few that follow in the following link if you have slow speeds.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Slow-Speeds/m-p/510588/highlight/true#M75402

LordDrakkon
I'm a trusted contributor
You need at least a 2.5Gbps ethernet adapter in a system that is wired to see above 940Mbps amd a WiFi 6e WiFi adapter to take advantage of WiFi speeda anywhere close to 1.5 Gbps.
Topic Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 11 in conversation