cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about "on demand" outside the home

Cathy33
I've been here awhile

When I watch a show on demand on a device out of home, but don't finish it, and then try to finish it at home, the show is not there.  Sometimes I can't even find it with a search.  Last night it happend from one device in my home to the other.  I couldn't switch tvs.   Also,  in another instance, the show that showed up was not the one from the search.

How do I fix this?  Why is it happening?

Thanks

*** Edited Labels ***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: question about "on demand" outside the home

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cathy33  Watching programs On-demand is not like watching Netflix.  I don't think that Ignite TV keeps track of all that much state of what you have or have not watched.  When I Restart an episode, watch it to the end, then check its status in the Episodes list on the show's home page, it does not even indicate that it has been watched.  When I watch a program On-demand and stop halfway through, I can't resume where I left off on another set-top box either.  (although if I do watch it to the end, it will show up as "watched".)  However, if I stop watching an On-demand program, I can resume watching it on the same set-top box (for as long as the content is available on-demand) because that state is kept in the box's history.

Recorded programs are different.  You can stop playing that content halfway through and resume watching the recording on another device or set-top box from wherever you left off.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Usually On-Demand programming is sorted alphabetically, however, new programming often ends up at the bottom of a listing, instead of where it should be alphabetically. Also, if it's possible to start the name of the programme with "The", try searching in the "T" alphabetical portion.

There can also be different "sections" in the On-Demand area such as movies, series, etc.  Try checking under each.  What was the programme you were looking for?  Provide a couple of examples and we can have a look.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cathy33  Watching programs On-demand is not like watching Netflix.  I don't think that Ignite TV keeps track of all that much state of what you have or have not watched.  When I Restart an episode, watch it to the end, then check its status in the Episodes list on the show's home page, it does not even indicate that it has been watched.  When I watch a program On-demand and stop halfway through, I can't resume where I left off on another set-top box either.  (although if I do watch it to the end, it will show up as "watched".)  However, if I stop watching an On-demand program, I can resume watching it on the same set-top box (for as long as the content is available on-demand) because that state is kept in the box's history.

Recorded programs are different.  You can stop playing that content halfway through and resume watching the recording on another device or set-top box from wherever you left off.

Cathy33
I've been here awhile

Interesting.  I used to be able to do that.  I would watch something on the treadmill at the gym and then finish it at home.  Or watch part of a show in my home office, and then finish it in the kitchen on a different ignite box.  But it doesn't work now.  Mostly this is on older shows not recent "on demand"

I get more concerned about shows that just right out disappear.  Don't show up at all in a different location, or a different show is there.  not even a different episode but a completely different program.  

it is just odd, maybe it has just changed

Thanks

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cathy33  In some cases, on-demand programming may only be available for a short period of time.  (It all depends on the content rights for that channel/program.)  As for being able to resume on-demand programming on another device, I don't try to do that very often... and I certainly will not dispute your report that the behaviour has changed.  I will have to test this some more.

Baroqueen
I've been around

@-G- wrote:

@Cathy33  Watching programs On-demand is not like watching Netflix.  I don't think that Ignite TV keeps track of all that much state of what you have or have not watched.  When I Restart an episode, watch it to the end, then check its status in the Episodes list on the show's home page, it does not even indicate that it has been watched.  When I watch a program On-demand and stop halfway through, I can't resume where I left off on another set-top box either.  (although if I do watch it to the end, it will show up as "watched".)  However, if I tellpizzahut stop watching an On-demand program, I can resume watching it on the same set-top box (for as long as the content is available on-demand) because that state is kept in the box's history.

Effective and interesting post for reading

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 in conversation