cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xi6-T box dropping device after a few days

MayLam
I've been here awhile

We have Xi6-T box connected to an older projection TV that only takes DVI connection.  So it is connected to a HDMI to DVI converter box.  Works well but stopped working after a couple of days (Rogers actually replace it with a new unit, same result).  We swapped to different Xi6-T in the house and same thing happened.  Worked for only a couple of days and stopped but works fine connecting directly to all other TVs via HDMI.  Question is, is there some kind of detection function in the box that if it's not connected to a TV directly, the signal is automatically cut off?  Any remedy or suggestions is appreciated. 

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Xi6-T box dropping device after a few days

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

I too had a similar experience with my Ignite TV box.  I have this connected to an HDMI to composite video/audio  adapter that I got for $20 from Amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0837FTD19/).  It allows me to watch TV on my 20 year old Sony Wega TV (great picture quality).

I only had the issue you described once when I had to reboot my Router and Ignite TV Box.  What I did to help me resolve the issue is:

- Turn off the Ignite TV box

- Turn off the adapter

- Turn the adapter on and wait a couple of min

- Turn the Ignite TV box on

- Once you get a picture, you can go into the settings on the Rogers box to DISABLE any sleep mode or energy saving.  That seems to cause issues on a bunch of my devices (Yamaha Home Theatre receiver, etc.)

The good thing is that Rogers has a screen saver feature that keeps the signal alive.  This will prevent the adapter from losing connectivity (at least this was my experience).

Try this out to see if that helps.  If you still experience issues, you might need to connect the Rogers Box to an analog connection like I did as DVI/HDMI combination causes issues as others have mentioned.  I had similar problems with an old 8300HD box and others for years.  Analog connections seem to resolve this problem and the quality drop on older displays is not as bad as it seems.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@MayLam wrote:

We have Xi6-T box connected to an older projection TV that only takes DVI connection.  So it is connected to a HDMI to DVI converter box.  Works well but stopped working after a couple of days (Rogers actually replace it with a new unit, same result).  We swapped to different Xi6-T in the house and same thing happened.  Worked for only a couple of days and stopped but works fine connecting directly to all other TVs via HDMI.

Hi!  Welcome to the Community!  The only thing that I can suggest is to connect the set-top box to another HDMI-capable TV, then go to "Settings / Device Settings / Video Display / Video Output Resolution" and set it to something other than "Best Available" and to a resolution that your projection TV supports.  Once you have a picture, move the set-top box back to the projection TV.

Question is, is there some kind of detection function in the box that if it's not connected to a TV directly, the signal is automatically cut off?  Any remedy or suggestions is appreciated. 

One of the reasons that modern set-top boxes have switched from analog outputs to HDMI is to appease content producers with more robust copy protection.  I don't think that it is legal to sell video converters in Canada that strip HDCP so, in a way, I'm actually surprised that your video converter works at all.  It's possible that Rogers disables HDCP at lower resolutions but I do not have an HDMI to Analog HD converter to test with.

Just out of curiosity, what is the make/model of the video converter that Rogers provided?

MayLam
I've been here awhile

Your answer make sense and it's along the line of what I suspected.  The converter is not provided by Rogers, it's something that strips the audio and output DVI to my old TV set.  I got it from Amazon for $30.   So my easy option would be to replace the TV.  Maybe I should ask if Rogers can offer any option as I would expect that older TVs should be supported too.  Thanks for your comments.  Much appreciated.

Alex4161
I'm a senior contributor

I too had a similar experience with my Ignite TV box.  I have this connected to an HDMI to composite video/audio  adapter that I got for $20 from Amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0837FTD19/).  It allows me to watch TV on my 20 year old Sony Wega TV (great picture quality).

I only had the issue you described once when I had to reboot my Router and Ignite TV Box.  What I did to help me resolve the issue is:

- Turn off the Ignite TV box

- Turn off the adapter

- Turn the adapter on and wait a couple of min

- Turn the Ignite TV box on

- Once you get a picture, you can go into the settings on the Rogers box to DISABLE any sleep mode or energy saving.  That seems to cause issues on a bunch of my devices (Yamaha Home Theatre receiver, etc.)

The good thing is that Rogers has a screen saver feature that keeps the signal alive.  This will prevent the adapter from losing connectivity (at least this was my experience).

Try this out to see if that helps.  If you still experience issues, you might need to connect the Rogers Box to an analog connection like I did as DVI/HDMI combination causes issues as others have mentioned.  I had similar problems with an old 8300HD box and others for years.  Analog connections seem to resolve this problem and the quality drop on older displays is not as bad as it seems.

Spider68
I've been here awhile

Question: I have an old Sony WEGA LCD Projection KF 50 WE610 tv that appears to have a 4:3 aspect ratio and when I hook up the Rogers Ignite STP using a RCA to HDMI converter cable I am getting a distorted picture( enlarged showing only a portion of the actual picture. I have set the STP using another tv to 780 but that still does not seem to work. The TV is still in very good shap. Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Hello, @Spider68.

Thank you for your query, and welcome to Rogers Community Forums! 😃

We have discussed a related situation to yours in this thread; hence we moved your post here. You can follow the steps suggested by @Alex4161 in the post above. Let us know if it's helpful and ask away further questions. 

Cheers,
RogersMoin 

Spider68
I've been here awhile

Thanks.

Signal was distorted from the get go.

Here is the HDMI to RCA unit I purchased. Is it possible that this is the  wrong one?

https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/cables-adapters/video-cables/other-video-cables/rca-hdmi-to-composite...

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Spider68  I don't think that this is the correct thread for your post.  We have had similar questions about connecting Ignite to older TVs in threads such as this one: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/quot-EHD-quot-Samsung-TV-Ignite-TV-Compatibility-Iss...

I have only tested the "Mini HDMI2AV / UP Scaler 1080P" video converter.  This is the model that Rogers techs carry in their trucks.  Its display output is anamorphic.  On a 4:3 display, the picture looks horizontally squished.  However, when zoomed on a 16:9 widescreen display, the picture looks normal and the picture quality is pretty decent.

I don't know if there are any HDMI converters on the market that will produce a letterbox formatted picture on a 4:3 display.

Spider68
I've been here awhile

Good News on this. My Sony TV had multiple inputs including an HDMI to YPBPR+ Audio. I purchased a converter from Infinite Cables in Markham for 58$ https://www.infinitecables.com/hdmi/hdmi-converters/video-converter-hdmi-to-component-audio/ and the TV now works perfectly. Sony made good TVs back in the day (don't know if they still do) so it is great to be able to get more viewing out of it.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 5 in conversation