Xi6 Ignite TV Boxes - Always On / Always Streaming?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Xi6 Boxes - Always On / Always Streaming?

Here's another little tip for anybody with an XR15 remote who also would really like to be able to turn everything off, including the set-top box, despite a remote design that makes this a bit of a challenge:

• Issue the "Sleep now" voice command.  ("Power down" also still works.  These commands will now both take you into Power Preferences.)
  • Select "Sleep Now" and confirm the "Sleep Now" command
  • IMMEDIATELY press the Power button on the remote (as the STB is in the process of going to sleep.)

The Power button still sends the "Power On" command to the set-top box but it also is still on when you press the button (even though the STB is in the process of going to sleep) so the "Power On" has no effect.  The STB continues to go to sleep and the other components also turn off as well.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for this.   I assume we have a pretty small window to power the components down, but that's a good tip.

On a related note, does anyone know what turning on the Power Saver changes (Settings -> Device Settings -> Power Preferences)?

Seems that streams remain up for 4 hours, so curious if shortened?   (I'll test now and report back.  Turned on a stream at 1200 EDT, then turned the box "off", as a normal user would.)

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robtoe wrote:

Thanks for this.   I assume we have a pretty small window to power the components down, but that's a good tip.

For me, the window is approximately 3 seconds.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

OK, for the record, the stream was torn down just now, 4 hours after initiating it.

However, that's with Power Saver enabled.  

Assuming the 4-hour mark is the default tear-down time for the stream, I'm not really sure what Power Saver is actually saving.

We have far more pressing things to deal with, but I'll follow up with Rogers at some point down the road.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nor do I and the Xfinity X1 Power Saver FAQs does not provide any clarity either.

I also do not know the difference between Settings / Labs / Power Saver Mode: Standard and Maximum Savings.  Since there is "Labs" setting, I presume that the Xfinity team is working on improvements and that the "Maximum Savings" behaviour, whatever that is, will eventually be the default when "Power Saver" is set to On.