cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XR15 voice remote not pairing for voice

WPDK
I've been here awhile

I am not able to pair the XR15 voice remote for voice commands to the Ignite TV stb.  The remote works as expected but for voice pairing.

The instructions are followed as posted by at the Rogers online support page:

1. Press and hold the Rogers and Info (i) buttons at the same time for 5 seconds. Wait for the remote light to change from red to green.
  2. Follow the instructions by entering the 3-digit, on-screen pairing code. This may take a few moments to display on your TV.

However the remote light does not change from red to green and the TV screen does not change to display a three digit code. 

Instead, when pressing the Rogers and Info buttons at the same time the following LED sequence occurs:

Red (five seconds) - Green (less than one sec) - pause - green flash - red flash - green flash - red flash - dark led

After calling Ignite TV Support, a replacement remote was sent.  Unfortunately, the same problem occurs - no three digits on screen, just the same "green-red-green-red" LED sequence as received on the original remote.

I tried moving the stb to a different location, (it is on a wooden cabinet with no other device or console within two feet), tried pressing the Rogers and Info buttons together in different fashions, (simultaneous, Roger quickly followed by Info, Info quickly followed by Rogers, different pressure on the buttons, pointing at the stb, away from the stb, etc.) all to no avail.

Any suggestions before I call Support again?

Does anyone know what the "green-red-green-red" LED sequence means?

Thanks in advance.

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: XR15 voice remote not pairing for voice

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@WPDK  A "green, red" sequence is shown when the remote sends a command via RF but does not receive a response or acknowledgement from the set-top box.

Instead, when pressing the Rogers and Info buttons at the same time the following LED sequence occurs:

Red (five seconds) - Green (less than one sec) - pause - green flash - red flash - green flash - red flash - dark led

I have never seen this sequence before and do not know what it means.

In most cases when there are communications issues between the remote and set-top box, it can be fixed by unpairing and then reprogramming the remote.

In this case, I would factory-reset the remote: Press and hold the A and D buttons simultaneously until the status LED turns green, then enter code 9 8 1

Next, try to pair the remote.  Point the remote directly at the set-top box, then press the Microphone button.  You should see an on-screen prompt that says, "Start using voice commands  [Yes / Not Now]".  Select "Yes" and follow the on-screen prompts to pair and program the remote.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@WPDK  A "green, red" sequence is shown when the remote sends a command via RF but does not receive a response or acknowledgement from the set-top box.

I have never seen this sequence before and do not know what it means.

In most cases when there are communications issues between the remote and set-top box, it can be fixed by unpairing and then reprogramming the remote.

In this case, I would factory-reset the remote: Press and hold the A and D buttons simultaneously until the status LED turns green, then enter code 9 8 1

Next, try to pair the remote.  Point the remote directly at the set-top box, then press the Microphone button.  You should see an on-screen prompt that says, "Start using voice commands  [Yes / Not Now]".  Select "Yes" and follow the on-screen prompts to pair and program the remote.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@WPDK  I did a bit more experimentation and was able to get the "green red green red" sequence when I pressed "Menu + Info" but did not have the remote pointed at the set-top box, and the pairing procedure timed out without completing.

If you can successfully pair the remote but voice commands do not work, and the batteries in your remote are good, you may have a bad set-top box.  When you press and release the microphone button, without issuing a voice command, you should still see an on-screen message telling you to "Press and hold and try again".  If you don't see any on-screen messages, that's a problem.

Also, check "Settings / Remote Settings" on your set-top box.  Ensure that "Voice Control" is On and that your battery level is good.  (The "Voice Control" option can also be found in "Settings / Privacy")

I don't know how the remote will respond if it is in a "paired" state but receives responses to RF commands from multiple set-top boxes.  Did you try paring this remote to multiple set-top boxes?

As for the LED status sequence that you saw, the only people that may know what it actually means are URC, since they manufactured the remote.

WPDK
I've been here awhile

@-G-

All is good now - the voice commands are working on both remotes, thanks to you.

It was your comment regarding RF that triggered the success.  Though I previously moved the stb about when troubleshooting, it was in the same area of the television.  Both remotes were paired for voice commands when the stb was moved elsewhere in the house.

After moving the stb, I did do the un-pairing / pairing as you suggest for one remote and simply pressed the voice button on the second remote to start the pairing sequence.

It is interesting you were able to get the same flashing LED sequence. Before moving the stb, I got that sequence while standing three feet from the box, pointing the remote directly at the box.

I feel like a monkey pushing buttons until I get food pellets.  I have not worked out the root cause and have stopped pushing buttons since being rewarded with voice commands working.  Before returning one of the remotes, I may experiment more and share my results.

Thank you for your guidance and helping build the knowledge base in this forum.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 2 in conversation