XB6 Modem Settings/Requests/Firmware Discussion

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: XB6 Modem Settings/Requests/Firmware Discussion

Looks like I'm one higher than latest version 🙂

CGM4140COM_4.0p10s1_PROD_sey

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am now as well:

System Software Version
eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version:Prod_18.1_d31 & Prod_18.1
Software Image Name:CGM4140COM_4.0p10s1_PROD_sey
Advanced Services:CGM4140COM
Packet Cable:2.0
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hello

Could we please get some details about the new firmware and what fixes and features it offers.

Thank you.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

System time is still off by an hour on CGM4140COM_4.0p10s1_PROD_sey.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Custom DNS yet? I was going to bridge the modem today for only this reason (well and because the pods are useless).
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@davej13 wrote:
Custom DNS yet? I was going to bridge the modem today for only this reason (well and because the pods are useless).

I would not hold my breath waiting for this feature, or for Guest WiFi networks.  I say this because there are specific reasons why Comcast has not incorporated these features into their firmware after all these years, and I do not think that they are likely to do so anytime soon.  I would also love to be proven wrong.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Alright, I'll go thought the threads here for setting up in bridge mode. I've got an Archer C9 located in my main floor office that seems to give much better coverage than the pods, just worried about the TV boxes since I'm not too familiar with ipv6.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I am still on Software  version CGM4140COM_3.14p10s5_PROD_sey.  Are you still on this version as well. I wonder when they will be pushing the new firmware. 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, and now we get the same Comcastic service from Rogers that Comcast customers have had to deal with for years. 😞
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Don_Ca wrote:
Yes, and now we get the same Comcastic service from Rogers that Comcast customers have had to deal with for years. 😞

It's not like that.  The XB6 was designed by Comcast to support Internet connectivity, TV, and their suite of "connected home" apps, products and service offerings.  Rogers has released only a few of the services that Comcast has has already developed and has customized others under the Ignite brand name.  We can ask for changes, and other features that we would like to see, but whether our requests come to fruition depends on whether Comcast can be persuaded by Rogers to make those changes and whether those changes fit into Rogers' services roadmap.

The Rogers Product Managers have said that allowing us to specify alternate DNS servers would break Parental Controls and Protected Browsing.

Comcast didn't introduce Guest WiFi networks into the XB6 because their solution for guest WiFi access is the Xfinity Home WiFi Hotspot.

At least we still have the option of enabling Bridge Mode on the XB6.  Rogers is also not intentionally preventing us from running Ignite TV with our own routers and WiFi gear and they are actively working with Comcast to fix XB6 bugs that only manifest in Bridge Mode.

That said, I would still prefer to do without the fancy value-added features that require the XB6 and would much rather be using a TC4400 modem, if only Rogers would even allow us to use it.