XB6 Modem - Noisy?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RogersTony

Re: XB6 Modem - Noisy?

Hello, @SSMk

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

It's disappointing to hear about all the issues you've been experiencing since upgrading to the new modem. 😞

Are you using a separate wireless router for your office? If yes there could be some interference affecting your Wi-Fi. 

You can use an app to see how many wireless devices are broadcasting in your area and which channels are in use. There are Wi-Fi analyzing apps that you can use for both Android and iOS devices. For Android devices, you can use Wifi Analyzer and for iOS, you can use Network Analyzer.

You'll want to ensure you are choosing a channel for your office router that is different from the Wi-Fi that your modem is using.

Feel free to post your results so the community can review which channel would be ideal to avoid interference.

RogersTony

ionel
I've Been Here Awhile

Unfortunately I just want to confirm the fact that this modem is horrible. I have it set up near my couch in the living room (not much space to move because of the Rogers outlet). It hums like an helicopter. Every 20 minutes I go check my washer in the basement, only after realising that is just my new "enhaced" modem.

I would like to know how can I change to the new XB7 modem or just go back to the old one, which was MUCH better.

robtoe
I Plan to Stick Around

Simply put, that isn't normal.   You shouldn't be able to hear it casually, and if it's as loud as you describe you should get a replacement.

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am not sure how loud is "loud".

I got one of those $1.39 noise-level apps for my iPad.

In my house, a locked bathroom with nothing happening registers about 25 db on it.

With my iPad microphone 1/4 inch away from the XB6, measures about 33.

I sit hours about 5-6 feet away from the XB6, and the background THERE (with the XB6 humming and nothing else happening) is about 29.   I can make out the low level hum, but not to the point of distraction.

If anything else is happening: tv on, personal conversation, etc.  it is lost.

That may give you some idea of what it "can" sound like.  

If your experience is markedly different, it probably should be replaced.

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

And the hum appears to be identical to a tone generated at 2800 hertz.

Again, if what you are hearing is substantially noisier / different, it is probably defective.

whatever123
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello All

Hope everyone is safe and well.

I last posted here on Jan 31 about my new Ignite box being quite noisy.

Others have the same issue, and was wondering if it's best to call Rogers and get the new model. 

It's been over a month and has become frustrating..

I have to unplug it at night as I can hear it humming away.

I live a in small condo and it's in the living room, and I actually hear it in the bedroom.

Not a lot of options for me in moving it around etc, but it shouldn't be that loud imho.

Never had issues in the past with noisy equipment.

Being home all day obviously exascerbates  a lot of things, but it's getting to be incredibly annoying.

Any advice on this appreciated, cheers !

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@whatever123 wrote:

Hello All

Hope everyone is safe and well.

I last posted here on Jan 31 about my new Ignite box being quite noisy.

Others have the same issue, and was wondering if it's best to call Rogers and get the new model. 

It's been over a month and has become frustrating..

I have to unplug it at night as I can hear it humming away.

I live a in small condo and it's in the living room, and I actually hear it in the bedroom.

Not a lot of options for me in moving it around etc, but it shouldn't be that loud imho.

Never had issues in the past with noisy equipment.

Being home all day obviously exascerbates  a lot of things, but it's getting to be incredibly annoying.

Any advice on this appreciated, cheers !

Can you give something for comparisons?

Is it noisier than your refrigerator, for example?  

In my case, the hum is pretty much imperceptible beyond 12 feet.  At 6, it is there but not distracting in a quiet office with computer.  (quiet fans).   

I sleep exactly 26 feet from it ... separate rooms but open doors, and I do not hear it at all.

[Granted: age may have something to do with it, but my hearing is considered "good".]

If your experience is significantly different than that, you might consider asking for a replacement.

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One other thing that you might try, is to place the XB6/7 on a foam pad, such as those pink insulation pads that you can get at Home Depot, or the anti-static pads available at electronic stores.

DO NOT place it on the soft pad directly, but put a piece of cardboard or thin plywood onto the pad, and put the modem on the cardboard.  You need that so that the air circulation through the bottom is not blocked off .

This does not reduce the volume of the hum, per se, but it reduces the transmission through the hard table or shelf, and that may reduce the radius of annoyance.

SpeedyC
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hi.

1. Can anyone confirm if the XB7 is quieter than the XB6 ?

2. Any idea when we can switch to the the XB7?

whatever123
I've Been Here Awhile

I can hear it as soon as I get in my condo, and the modem is about 30 ft from the door.

And yes it can actually be louder than my fridge, but it's also quieter at times.

Once the backlog from the outage yesterday dies down, I'll contact them and see what happens.

Cheers