XB6 Modem - Noisy?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RogersTony

Re: XB6 Modem - Noisy?

Hello, @whatever123

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can understand how inconvenient it can be to have to deal with noisy equipment in your home.

Some people can be more sensitive to the sound than others but I can confirm that the XB7 is significantly quieter than the XB6 model. The fan in the XB6 generates a noticeable sound whereas the XB7 sound is barely noticeable at all.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sooo ..... you're saying that the XB7 has now been released to the public ?????

Don_Ca
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I saw it was in testing.
RogersTony

Hello, @Datalink

Thanks so much for your inquiry! 🙂

There has been a lot of excitement around the new XB7 modem so I can understand your enthusiasm about it. 

We have begun a soft launch for the new XB7 modem. More inventory will be available in the coming weeks. At this time, customers cannot order or request this gateway model. The model a customer receives may vary depending on fulfillment at the warehouse.

We will have more information around eligibility and processes for the new modem in the near future.

RogersTony

Don_Ca

Do we know if the XB7 are all Arris Puma or Technicolor Broadband? I would not want a Puma chipset.
RogersTony

Hello, @Don_Ca

There are two versions of the XB7 that will be carried by Rogers.

One is made by Technicolor and the other is made by Comscope.

RogersTony

Don_Ca

Commscope bought Arris, so that makes sense.  I would assume it is a Puma chipset.  

robtoe
I Plan to Stick Around

The XB7 could be moot in terms of noise anyway unless the instruction set is more efficient (stays slightly cooler).    Suspect they're still at the mercy of fan bearings unless they are somehow passively cooled in this gen.

Either way, my XB6 has been fine so far.  [wood knocking]

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Don_Ca wrote:

Commscope bought Arris, so that makes sense.  I would assume it is a Puma chipset.  

The CommScope (formerly Arris) XB7 uses a MaxLinear DOCSIS chipset , that pre-dates MaxLinear's acquisition of Intel's Connected Home division.  I don't know anything about the MxL278 so I can't say anything about its performance.

SSMk
I've Been Around

It's been 3 months, since i upgraded to Ignite Modem...  Besides being extremely noisy (humming sound) and irritating, it has impacted my hearing capabilities. I have my WFH (Working from Home) office on the upper level of my house.  Now i got an additional router, and shifting my office in the basement. 

Additionally, this new modem has not at all improved the Wi-Fi (wall-to-wall). On the ground level, our T.V. frequently drops the Netflix streaming... 

Soumitra 

Mississauga