XB6 Modem - Noisy?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

XB6 Modem - Noisy?

Contemplating the jump to Ignite, but aside from the picture quality concerns I've seen here, I saw a reference to the XB6 modem using fans, and it being noisy.

My existing modem is passively cooled, so a noisy XB6 one would be a showstopper.

Any input from existing users?

***Added Labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: XB6 Modem - Noisy?

@robtoe  I think that depends on your definition of "noisy".  Yes, there is some fan noise but it's not horribly loud and it's not an annoying whine.  The Arris XB6 is also quieter than the Technicolor model.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I just switched to Ignite TV on Dec 30th 2019.

The performance is great however the XB6 modem fan is quite noticeable . I have it in a den upstairs and when the tv is off, the modem noise is obvious.

It also seems to be variable, speeding up and them slowing down. These things are running 24x7 and it also seems to get quite hot.

I have plugged into a high quality surge protector.

Since these modems are not in Rogers stores, you need to schedule a tech to come out to swap to a new one.

Bit of a pain. 

Only other issue I had with XB6 was a firmware upgrade than tech support had to push manually. Once again, that was a call to Rogers.

Highlighted

Hello and welcome to our Community @dm000!

I'm curious. Do you have the modem in an open location or enclosed in a cabinet of some sort?

I just want to eliminate any environmental causes of heat build-up that may be causing your fans to run at a higher RPM.

Regards,

RogersCorey

I'm Here A Lot

Yes it is noisy. It has a fan that is constantly on and it also gets louder at random times. I have had many routers and modems throughout the years and this is the first one I can actually hear. It's placed behind my tv in a wide open space. When the TV is off, you can hear it clearly.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the feedback - the noise is a dealbreaker for me, at least in my current modem location, which is the office where I need it to be quiet.

The other trick is around putting a noisy fan-based component in an enclosed space.    That's not really helping cooling, so a bit of a catch-22.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robtoe  It's kinda hard to judge what your acceptable noise threshold is.  The XB6 is a very capable device and with all that processing power packed into a fairly compact footprint, active cooling is required.  What REALLY drives me nuts is the high-pitched tone that some power adapters can make... that are everywhere.  For me, a bit of low-level fan noise is not a big deal.  Yes, the fan on the Technicolor XB6 is noticeable, especially if you are constantly listening for it, but the fan on your average PC is louder.  The Arris XB6's fan is quieter; I've heard people breathe louder.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yep, understood.   Some people more susceptible to coil whine on a GPU, for example.

In my case, I've built a custom water loop to keep my PC dead silent, so for me, I suspect it is indeed a dealbreaker in the location I had planned.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi - the modem is in an open location with plenty of air circulation. In fact the Rogers tech who installed it had no concerns with the location.

Same spot as my previous ignite 500 internet "white" modem, which did not make any noise.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

As promised, I'm reporting back post-Ignite install about the XB6 modem...

It certainly has a fan, but it is barely audible up close, i.e. ear near the device.    This was while the device was warm, and servicing serveral wireless clients, one ethernet gaming session, and 1 TV session, so under load.

I would say that it would likely NOT bother most people if next to their PC.   In my case I'd probably barely hear it, but it is not a problem in the living room where it is located currently.

Will the fan bearing(s) get louder with age?   Maybe.

Was the device at max fan speed/temp when I tested it?   Maybe not.

So it may not be your experience, but it is a non-issue in my scenario.

BTW, there are some older, squared off modems (look more like the earlier Hitron) that apparently have distinct fan concerns, so that may be part of the reputation.

Hope that helps.