XB6 - Hidden Networks

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrustratedEMF
I've Been Here Awhile

XB6 - Hidden Networks

8 hidden networks are broadcasted from WiFi off, bridged XB6.  No way to turn them off.  Guessing they are for IoT network and we have no choice but to have them on.

I only connect to my XB6 modem via ethernet cable and always have WiFi off.  My router was emitting HUGE amounts of wireless radiation so I called customer support numerous times to ask why this must be as radiation levels that high could only be coming from wireless broadcasting.  I have spent more than 8 hours talking to customer support and their installer about this matter.  I asked them if my router was being used as a hotspot for Freedom customers.  I know that they have hotspot for Freedom customers default on for Hitron modems. 

The installer came over and bridged my modem then ran a wifi analyzer.  It showed 8 hidden networks broadcasting from my modem.  We knew they were coming from my modem because the signals were very strong and because they would disappear when we unplugged the modem. 

WiFi is a carcinogenic and is banned in many places for use in school.  I find it outrageous that  emits hidden wireless networks (which WHO classifies non-ionizing radiation from wireless devices as a possible carcinogenic and many scientist believe it should be reclassified as 'known carcinogenic') from our modems without our knowledge or our consent as it compromises our health.  Not only that, Children are even more vulnerable as they absorb much more radiation.

Thousands of peer-reviewed scientific studies show that our exposure to non-ionizing radiation for Wifi causes serious biological effects. Check EHTrust.org to verify what I am saying.

Some symptoms include:

Headaches

Brain fog

Eye problems

Insomnia

Heart palpitations

Dizziness

Memory problems

Anxiety

Irritability

Depression

Fatigue

Tinnitus

Joint pain

Cataracts

Wireless radiation causes oxidative stress to our cells that can lead to cancer, alzheimers, diabetes, infertility, heart problems.

Please turn off your WiFi, hardwire your connections , unplug your modem at night and find a modem that will not broadcast any hidden wireless networks.

*Added Labels*

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: XB6 - Hidden Networks

Hmmm.  Freedom wifi hotspots, which are used by Freedom customers where Freedom is owned by Shaw.  Perhaps you're posting this in the wrong forum.  Rogers XB6 modems do transmit extraneous wifi channels, but, certainly not the extent of Shaw and Freedom modems.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@FrustratedEMF  I may have misunderstood but did you say that you have Bridge Mode enabled on the XB6 and that you have all of your devices connected to the XB6 via wired Ethernet??

Regarding the main point of your post, it is true that you cannot disable Wi-Fi completely on the XB6; it will always have hidden SSID's active on the 2.4 and 5GHz bands.   One of these is used to facilitate the connection of Ignite TV set-top boxes.  I think another is used for connecting wireless home security devices.  Rogers Product Managers have insisted that the hidden Wi-Fi networks on the XB6 cannot be disabled because they are required for current and future services.

I agree wholeheartedly that we should be able to disable the Wi-Fi (and any other active) radios on the Ignite gateways.  We only have so many Wi-Fi channels available to us; we don't need any more devices tying up valuable spectrum and polluting the airwaves unnecessarily.  If you are concerned about the health aspects of RF signals and other types of EMF radiation, you will need to move to an isolated corner of the world to be free of it.  FYI, the Xi6 set-top boxes also have their Wi-Fi radios active, even when connected via wired Ethernet.

Trowbridge
I've Been Around

These computers networks are created for particular situations, as these can be very special or have critical information such as, factory control system, highly-secured environments for processing of certain data, or networks complying with a safety standard.

anthonyng5
I've Been Here Awhile

Advanced help needed: XB6, Hidden WiFi, Disabling Wifi, Automatically Managed

The problem I am having is that the XB6 modem is broadcasting hidden channels in the 2.4 GHz band and the 5 GHz band, even with my WiFi disabled as I want to use my own wireless router. This hidden channel causes interference. Is there a way to disable that broadcast? This only seemed to start happening recently for me.

Here are the details: I have a Rogers XB6 (CGM4140COM) modem. I  am using my own WiFi router and setup, and I have the XB6 configured with Bridge mode is DISABLED. i.e., yes, this is a double-NAT configuration with everything working fine. The wireless networks are DISABLED. However, the XB6 is broadcasting on Channel 1 and Channel 157 with what appears to be three different  hidden networks in each band. I am using a WiFi scanner to see exactly what is happened. There are some good articles in this forum that explain that these cannot be shut-off, even when moving into bridge mode. I do not care about using the app or remote management. I am just trying to optimize by WiFi. I moved my other wireless router to Channel 9 and Channel 149 in each of the bands to try and mitigate any interference. Help anyone?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@anthonyng5  There is very minimal traffic on those hidden networks so it should not be interfering with your WiFi.  What's more of a problem is that if the WiFi channel selection is set to "Auto", the XB6 will use the best-available channels and force other WiFi routers in the vicinity to use less optimal channels.  WiFi spectrum is scarce, and prime spectrum is being wasted just so that the XB6 can send beacon frames for SSID's that are not being used for anything.

The only thing that you can do to work around this is to use your WiFi scanner to find a 2.4 GHz channel that is being used, but that is neither the strongest or the weakest in your area.  Enable wireless on the XB6 and manually select that channel on the 2.4 GHz band.  Save that configuration to lock in the channel setting.  On the 5 GHz band, pick a DFS channel (above 48, below 149) and save it to lock it in.  Next, disable WiFi; it's important to do this as a separate step, after the WiFi channels have been set and saved.

Those hidden WiFi networks will still be active, and we cant turn them off because they are being used for other services that the XB6 can/might/will support, but we can cat least stop it from using prime WiFi channels.

anthonyng5
I've Been Here Awhile

OK, thanks. The greyed out selection for "Channel Selection" says "Automatic". But, the "Wireless Network" is set to disable. The "Channel" is set to "1". So, I am not exactly sure what this means. All of the settings are greyed out. I do not see the symptom that the Network Name (SSID) is being broadcast or appears to be on. Based on the scanner, it does indeed appear to be disabled. Thanks for the clarifications on the interference; I did imagine they would be just sending beacon frames. I will keep an eye on things.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@anthonyng5  WiFi needs to be enabled on the XB6 in order for you to be able to explicitly set the channels.  Once they are set and "locked in", you can then disable WiFi... and the XB6 will continue to use the channels that you set when only the hidden WiFi networks are active.

Indubitably
I Plan to Stick Around

XB6 Bridge Mode Wifi Interference. I upgraded my legacy gigabit which I never had signal problems with previously (also using my own router) to the new ignite service. Luckily, I saw the information about the hidden networks beforehand and I followed some steps to minimize the interference of those hidden networks by manually setting the channel and such. Unfortuantely because my actual router and the xb6 are pretty close together it's just nuking the bandwidth available. I can't full transmit speeds on both my 5ghz channels now, one will drop down to pitiful levels due to the increased contention. My ignite tv is connected to the wifi broadcast by my asus router. Why are the hidden networks forced to be broadcast. Please disable this, it's terrible.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Indubitably  It is good practice to keep Wi-Fi routers and Access Points away from other equipment.  Does the problem actually go away if you do that?

There is hardly any Wi-Fi traffic coming from the XB6 when it is in bridge mode, only periodic beacon frames, so although those hidden networks might be an annoyance, they should not be causing any problems, even if they are operating on the same channels that you are using.  (The XB6 also has other internal radios for IoT connectivity.  I don't know whether or not they could be causing any problems.)

Rogers also does not offer a simple cable modem with their service so if that is what you absolutely require, you may have no choice but to switch to an independent ISP that will allow you to use something like a Technicolor TC4400 with their service.