cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XB6 - Connecting ASUS Router

Xdj
I plan to stick around

Greetings All,

It's been a . week for me with unauthorized movies being charged to my rogers bill and no one knows how this is happening. But I have another issue!

Just a few hours ago I had  Rogers ignite system installed. I'm trying to lower my Rogers bill since it's over $700 a month. And since there phasing out my current system, I had to go to the ignite TV bundle.

Now, everything seemed to work, TV, home phone but we really did not test the internet. I assumed it worked because the TV was working as well as the home phone.

Well, my home security app isn't working now, I can't access its features to control the Rogers tablet. It basically says it's offline. 

I was told I could easily hook up my ASUS router to the new Arris Xb6 cable just like my previous Hitron modem without any issues...WRONG!

I'm not getting a WAN connection to my ASUS RT-AC86U and the TV is not working. All I get on the TV is Welcome...followed by network configuration notification. Home phone works though!!!

I was told all I have to do is put the Arris modem into bridge mode and the ASUS router should work...Not!

Nothing I do gets the ASUS router an internet connection. I'm well versed with the ASUS routers but I'm stumped and very frustrated...It could be something simple that I'm overlooking but....I don't think so.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. And again, everything for the internet and my ASUS router was working fine with the older Hitron cable modem!

I'm seriously at the point that I want to call Rogers and get them to restore my old system because this ignite system isn't working properly!

Cheers,

X

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: XB6 - Connecting ASUS Router

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Xdj wrote:

I've read a few posts about entering the network (WiFi) settings for the Xi6 cable box with the remote: hold down the exit button for 5 seconds, then down arrow twice and then type 9493.

Not quite.  The correct number sequence is 9-4-3-4  (it spells WIFI)

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Xdj speaking of unauthorized charges let me draw your attention to the following thread.  Maybe there are some similarities with your situation:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Bango-com-and-Google-charges/m-p/456490#M24586

What mode is the modem in right now, Gateway mode or Bridge mode?

What are you running on the 86u, stock firmware or Merlin's Asuswrt with Skynet running?  

Is the 86U's WAN Connection Type on the WAN tab set for Automatic IP?

One point to keep in mind, the previous Hitron modems ran 192.168.0.1 as their base LAN address in Gateway mode.  In Bridge mode the router would be assigned 192.168.0.1 with the modem using 192.168.100.1 for its access.  The XB6 uses 10.0.0.1 in Gateway mode, not sure of what it does for Bridge mode.  I would expect any router connected to run 10.0.0.1 when the modem is in Bridge mode  .  You also need IPV6 running for the Xi6 set top boxes. 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Xdj  FYI, I created a thread a while ago with some tips on using your own router with Bridge Mode enabled on the XB6: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Using-the-Ignite-TV-Modem-Gateway-in-Bridge-Mode/td-...

I don't have simple step-by-step instructions written out yet.  The above thread assumes that you know the ins and outs of your own equipment and that you have intermediate network knowledge.  That said, start off by connecting your router's WAN port to one of the LAN ports on the XB6 gateway.  Do not enable Bridge Mode on the XB6 yet.  Follow the basic setup tips and verify that you have Internet connectivity.

Connect to the XB6.  (http://10.0.0.1 will work in both Bridge mode and Gateway mode.)  Enable Bridge Mode.

Wait a minute or so for the XB6 to reboot, then power-cycle your router.

Verify that your router is getting public/registered IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and an IPv6 PD.

Verify that you have Internet connectivity from devices on your LAN.

With Bridge Mode enabled on the XB6, Wi-Fi will be disabled.  Your router will now have to provide connectivity for all devices (Ethernet and Wi-Fi) on your LAN, including the Ignite TV set-top boxes.

Xdj
I plan to stick around
Hey,
I'm using Merlin's Asuswrt firmware in my router and I've tried both Bridge mode and Gateway mode in the new Xb6.
My AC86U WAN/Internet indicator on the top right corner of the menu does not indicate it's getting a signal.
I've tried rebooting the Asus router as well as auto IP in the WAN settings. I've even tried a new ethernet cable that I know works a try but to no avail!
I'm pretty versed in Asus equipment and networking but I'm stumped...I'll try playing around later today to see if there's something I'm missing but I'm so frustrated with it all.
Just as a side note, the link you posted about unauthorized movie charges was my original post! Thanks...
Any other suggestion on the XB6 and my RT-AC86U?
Thanks,

X

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Xdj have you kicked the modem into Gateway mode and connected a pc or laptop via ethernet to both ports of the modem?  Do you know if both ethernet ports on the modem are actually working? 

Have you checked the system log in the router to look for any errors when you boot the router after connecting it to the modem.  If the router isn't connecting for some reason, I wonder if anything shows up in the system log?

In the System Log .... General Log tab, the "Log only messages more urgent than" should be set to Debug, which I believe is the default setting.  That should ensure that the system log contains any errors that might be pertinent to the situation.

Are you running Skynet or Diversion add-ons in the 86U?

What model of modem do you have, the Arris TG3482ER or the Technicolor CGM4140.  The model number is on the bottom of the modem.  My vote would be for the Technicolor modem, but in this case, for whichever one you have, maybe its time to call tech support to have a tech drop by with both modem models for swapping purposes.  If you have the Technicolor modem, I'd swap that for another Technicolor modem.  If that didn't work, swap it for the Arris modem.  The Technicolor modem is a Broadcom BCM-3390 modem while the Arris modem is an Intel Puma 7 modem.  My first choice would be the Technicolor modem.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
@Xdj Do you have a LAN switch or any devices (other than your router) connected to the XB6? If so, disconnect them.

Xdj
I plan to stick around

Hi G,

My modem is a Technicolor CGM4140, funny thing is when I called Rogers last night with issues, they told me it was an Arris.

No add ons to the Firmware, just Merlin's Asuswrt 384.15.

Yes, the ports work on the cable modem as I tested them with my desktop!

I'll check the logs after my post.

Thanks for the help.

X

Xdj
I plan to stick around
Just Rogers's security/Smart home device (router).
I have disconnected, thank you.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With the Rogers's security/Smart home device (router) disconnected, I'd reboot both the modem and 86U and see if the 86U connects to the modem as it should. 

You could try something a little odd.  With the modem in Gateway mode, connect the modem to one of the 86U's LAN ports instead of the WAN port.  That results in a physical Access Point configuration.  Normally you would disable the 86U's firewall and DHCP server in this configuration, but, leave then alone in this case.  This is just to see if you end up connecting thru any of the other 86U ports when the 86U us connected thru a LAN port instead of the WAN port. 

Xdj
I plan to stick around

I tried your "odd" configuration but it did not work.

But, when I put the ethernet cable back into the WAN port of the AC86U, I got a connection and the WAN/Internet indicator turned on. As well, I got an alert on my cell stating that there was a new connection to the cable modem, an Asus RT-AC86U. What the heck!!!! Also, the only thing I did differently is removing the USB drive I had in the Asus router.

I don't get it, I really didn't do anything different except for trying your odd experiment, which didn't work.

How is it working now...mind you the cable modem is still in Gateway mode and not bridged? But still!

Thanks for your help!

It's still a mystery, but I'll take it!!!

I'm not sure if it's necessary to put the cable modem into bridge mode. I'll tell the family to go back to the old SSID on the Asus router and pause/block everyone from the cable modems wifi.

Thanks, everyone...

X

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Xdj The problem was that you had multiple devices plugged into the XB6 while it was in bridge mode and there is a limitation as to how many devices can obtain a public IP address. Unplugging all devices fixed that problem.

When you reconnected the (disconnected) WAN port, it reinitialized successfully.

Xdj
I plan to stick around
Thanks, G
I thought I had done that earlier but I was just in a frenzy yesterday trying to figure things out I may have forgotten to unplug the Smart Home device!

Cheers,

X

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Xdj  One more thing. The XB6 has a configuration option for the second LAN port in Gateway > Hardware > LAN Ethernet: Associate Ethernet Port 2 to HOME SECURITY Network

The setting says, "Note: Associating Ethernet Port 2 to HOME SECURITY network will remove the port from your home network."

I don't really know what this setting does.  I'm guessing that it either puts that one LAN port into "bridge mode", configures special firewall rules, bridges that port with the secret hidden Home Security Wi-Fi SSIDs, or perhaps a combination of all of these.  Did Rogers ever ask you to "check" that option and connect your Rogers Home Security device to Port 2 on the XB6?

Xdj
I plan to stick around

I noticed that option as well.

When the rogers techs connected everything with the new ignite system, they actually plugged the Smart Home device to my Asus router. Go figure, the Asus router wasn't even working when they left the house. So, they did know what was going on. When they left my house, my Smart Home system wasn't working because of what they did.

When I had the Hitron modem previously, the Smart home device was working through my Asus router.

Now, with my Asus router working, I connected the Smart Home device to my AC86U and it's working fine.

I may try to plug it into the XB6 and see what happens...

Cheers,

X

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Xdj wrote:

I noticed that option as well.

When I had the Hitron modem previously, the Smart home device was working through my Asus router.

Now, with my Asus router working, I connected the Smart Home device to my AC86U and it's working fine.

I may try to plug it into the XB6 and see what happens...

Now that your AC86U is working with your XB6 in bridge mode, you should be in a similar configuration to what you had before.  If you are able to access your home security system remotely again, I would just leave things as is.

Xdj
I plan to stick around

Yes, but the XB6 is still in Gateway Mode.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Time to kick the XB6 into Bridge mode with just the 86U connected to see what happens.  That configuration should work.  As @-G- has pointed out in many posts, that configuration is not supported by Rogers, so, if you have any issues with the XB6 or Xi6 set top boxes, you will need to kick the modem back into Gateway mode.  Also note, you need IPV6 running for the Xi6 set top boxes.  

Also note, even in Bridge mode, the XB6 will transmit wifi SSIDs, so, solution for that, before you kick the modem into Bridge mode, enable DFS wifi channels and park the 5 Ghz network in the DFS range.  It will keep using that channel after switching over to Bridge mode.  You will also need to change the SSIDs so that the Xi6 set top boxes communicate with the 86U instead of flipping over to the modem's wifi. This should work unless of course you happen to be near enough to an airport where the weather radar will result in the modem evacuating the DFS channels.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Xdj wrote:

Yes, but the XB6 is still in Gateway Mode.

Ah, okay then.  However, I still have absolutely no idea what that setting does or what hardware Port 2 was meant to be used with in that configuration.  I also don't use any of Rogers' Home Security services so I have no idea what the connectivity requirements are for those devices either.

Your other option is to enable "Bridge Mode" on the XB6 and you will be in a similar configuration to what you had before.  If you do this, you will also need to connect your set-top boxes to the AC86U.  Also understand that Rogers does not support running Ignite TV in this configuration so if you should ever require tech support, you will need to have a fall-back plan where you put everything back into the original as-installed configuration.

But... Rogers sold you Ignite TV.  In my opinion, what they really need to do now is provide you with guidance as to how to get all of the Rogers services working together again, as they were before, with everything in a supportable configuration.

Xdj
I plan to stick around

I will have to work on your suggestions tomorrow as the family has settled in for the evening and are watching their shows on their devices. I don't want to go through the wrath of my family as the internet goes down because of the rebooting of the cable modem and router.

My wifi was out most of yesterday so I'm home tomorrow alone so I can do some testing.

I'll keep everyone informed of my progress.

Cheers,

X

nugpot
I plan to stick around
Not sure it will help but I'm going to do it the other way around. I'm going to put my Nighthawk in bridge more and use it as an AP

Xdj
I plan to stick around

So it took a couple of days to get back at working on my situation...

I've read a few posts about entering the network (WiFi) settings for the Xi6 cable box with the remote: hold down the exit button for 5 seconds, then down arrow twice and then type 9493.

Also, pressing the Rogers button instead of exit followed by the down arrow twice and 9493.

Both of these solutions did not work! I get a search option?!?!?

So, I basically can not continue until I can change my wireless connection for the Xi6-T!

Any suggestions?

Do you press the arrows down will holding the Exit button-down?

I'm very tired of this not working! No manuals supplied or anything!

It's crazy to see several different manufacturer names for these components!

Well, that's my rant for the day...thanks!

X

Topic Stats
  • 55 replies
  • 17 Likes
  • 9 in conversation