cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will ignite TV and Internet work with old RG59 cable

stiff
I'm here a lot

I am pretty sure my house has the original coax cable, I believe it is RG59(or maybe older, there are no markings on it) running from the cable box on the lawn of my neighbors house. I think it is the same cable from when the house was built 1977, (But not sure) I was told by a rogers tech before that it was a couple generations old.
The cable is buried and runs along the sidewalk, to my house then runs up along my driveway and I believe under my garage floor into the house, or under the new cement walkway next to the garage. At the entry point inside my house the older cable is then joined to a RG6 cable and then splits with one cable going to my internet modem, and 2 going to the 2 tvs is the house.
There is no junction box on the side of my house.  
I would like to upgrade to Ignite, but am concerned the old cable coming into my house from the street is insufficient.
I also would rather not have a new cable stung up in the trees to my house, because it seems to literally take years for rogers techs come around and bury them.
Do you guys think I will have a problem if i get Ignite using the existing RG59 cable?

***Added Labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Will ignite TV and Internet work with old RG59 cable

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stiff  For Ignite TV to work well, your Internet needs to work well and you need to have flawless Wi-Fi in your home.  You can get away with older coax, provided that the Ignite modem still gets a good signal.  However, if the modem signals are marginal, you get lots of Uncorrectable Codewords errors on the line, and the Rogers Internet service in your area is not very good in general due to the old cabling, then this needs to get fixed before I would sign up for Ignite TV.

stiff
I'm here a lot

My internet and wifi is good. I never have any issues with it.  I believe the Wifi reception is good as well.
My TV reception is not that great. Many times several channels will just be black, and or pixelate intermittently.

Using the rogers speed test I get about 296.8Mbs download and 16.4 upload on my wireless PC.
If my internet is good, since Ignite is wireless TV, would that mean my current mediocre TV reception should not be a factor for Rogers Ignite TV?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stiff wrote:

My internet and wifi is good. I never have any issues with it. 
My TV reception is not that great. Many times several channels will just be black, and or pixelate intermittently.

Using the rogers speed test I get about 296.8Mbs download and 16.4 upload. If my internet is good, since Ignite is wireless TV, would that mean my current mediocre TV reception should not be a factor for Rogers Ignite TV?

I would still send a private message to @CommunityHelps  and ask them to do a quick health check on your Internet connection and the general health of the Internet service in your area.  If that checks out, then Ignite TV should run fine.  You can also ask if they have any concerns about you switching to Ignite TV and Internet.

FYI, I had similar problems with Rogers Digital TV in my area.  However, my Ignite TV service works flawlessly.

stiff
I'm here a lot

Just an update.
I could not stand the poor reception and missing channels anymore.
Technitition said I should upgrade to ignight and that the old cables would not be a problem.
Now with Ignight, I get all the channels i am paying for. Even the weather network comes in no problem.
My internet speeds seem to drasticly increased. Also, the tv picture seems to look a lot better.
I am so happy lol. I had been dealing with these problems for so long, now things are even better, It is cheaper too

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 2 in conversation