Wifi Pods vs Eero - Help

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Wifi Pods vs Eero - Help

@Kymberlee wrote:

Hey there. 

Thanks.

Im not running the Eero pods. I have just the regular ones. I didn't know if upgrading to the Eero would make a difference. The other thing that keeps happening (multiple times last night) in addition to everything else is I lose the sound on the TV when watching regular programming. It keeps playing (as in, doesn't freeze) but the sound drops out. 

I will call tech support. I just had it all installed Friday evening. Gamer is on a PS4, not PC. 

Even with your current XB6, I would still explicitly set the 5 GHz channel to one in the 149-165 range.  The primary goal is to get good, solid connections to the closest Pods as a starting point for establishing the mesh in your home.  This may seem counterintuitive but more power is not always the best.  (...although, not having enough power is definitely a bad thing.)  After that, you will also need to verify that all of your pods are online and placed in an optimal location so that they have good connectivity to neighbouring pods.

Back the the XB6... I would explicitly configure the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi channel as well.  I'm not a fan of using the "Auto" setting.  If the modem should ever automatically switch to (what it may think is) a "better" channel, that will cause a ripple effect where your neighbours' routers may have to change their channels, and then their neighbours, and so on.  In my opinion, using auto channel selection causes more problems and instability than it fixes, especially in busy/crowded areas with lots of Wi-Fi networks.  I use a Wi-Fi scanner to identify the best channel available and stake my claim to that piece of wireless spectrum.

I'm Here A Lot

Hi there. So after much confusion and a LOT of back and forth, the Eero pods were installed but not the modem. The first technician said there was zero difference between the modems except for manufacturer. And unfortunately, the eero pods haven't made a difference, with that technician (Senior Technician because there were 2 different ones at the house yesterday) said that Bells' internet is more superior so we shouldn't expect the same. The internet connection is still very intermittent and slow, and that's affected both the wifi connections (upload/downloads) and the TV (dropping off, losing sound, freezing). Any other recommendations? 

@Kymberlee wrote:

Hi there. So after much confusion and a LOT of back and forth, the Eero pods were installed but not the modem. The first technician said there was zero difference between the modems except for manufacturer. And unfortunately, the eero pods haven't made a difference, with that technician (Senior Technician because there were 2 different ones at the house yesterday) said that Bells' internet is more superior so we shouldn't expect the same. The internet connection is still very intermittent and slow, and that's affected both the wifi connections (upload/downloads) and the TV (dropping off, losing sound, freezing). Any other recommendations? 

I don't think that the Rogers techs should have installed the eero Wi-Fi solution in your home.  With its plaster walls, every room in your house is shielded and this blocks the Wi-Fi signals.

The eero is great for a house like mine (with drywall and wood framing) because I can place one node toward the front of the house on the upper floor and another toward the rear of the house on the main floor and, with that arrangement, I will get great blanket Wi-Fi coverage throughout my home.  Even if a mesh solution does not support standards such as 802.11k, 802.11v, and the Fast BSS Transition aspects 802.11r, with the right placement, my mobile devices should still be able to transition and roam from one node to another.  That said, I still need to be mindful of construction (e.g. where heating ducts run) so that I don't have dead spots.

With your house, the (Rogers-branded Plume) pods are a better option because they are designed to provide good Wi-Fi coverage within a room.  If you are mindful and strategic about the pod placement, and picture imaginary lines where pods can communicate with one another through floors to establish a mesh, it should be an effective solution for you.

A few pods also need to link up wirelessly with the XB6, so the techs should have used a scanner to determine whether the pods closest to the XB6 were getting a strong enough signal as a starting point for establishing the mesh.  That means selecting channels in the 149 - 165 range on the XB6 and possibly relocating pods, and if that doesn't fix the problem, switching out the Arris XB6 with the Technicolor.  (The techs may believe that they are equivalent but the test documents, submitted to Industry Canada for certification, say that the Technicolor XB6 transmits 5 GHz Wi-Fi at a higher power level.)  Since you can't turn Wi-Fi off completely on the XB6, you also have to ensure that it is configured in such a way that it does not cause interference with the eero mesh.

I wasn't there but from my perspective, it sure looks like the techs did all the wrong things.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks. So I should return the Eero and stick with the pods? Maybe I need more pods (I had 4) because the wifi is slightly better in some areas of the house now with the Eero, but in terms of the overall stability, no difference.

@Kymberlee wrote:

Thanks. So I should return the Eero and stick with the pods? Maybe I need more pods (I had 4) because the wifi is slightly better in some areas of the house now with the Eero, but in terms of the overall stability, no difference.

If you have poor Wi-Fi connectivity in parts of your home, adding more Pods in the right places will probably help.

If you are still having problems with poor picture quality, the picture freezing or audio drop-outs, that's a different issue and adding more Pods may or may not help.

For Ignite TV to work well, you need two things in your home:

• A good, solid, stable Internet connection.  The XB6 should be getting a good signal on its cable connection and there should be very few errors on the line.  Tech Support should be able to confirm that remotely.  You can as well by logging into the modem and going to Connection > Rogers Network, then scrolling down to the bottom and looking at the "CM Error Codewords" stats; there should be few, if any, Uncorrectable Codewords.
  • Good solid, stable Wi-Fi (or other good network connectivity) to your set-top boxes..  On the set-top box, go into Settings > Device Settings > Network.  If it says "You WiFi signal strength is weak.", then that is not good.  If there is any interference that affects the stability of Wi-Fi in your home, that's not good and needs to be fixed.

Rogers' back-end infrastructure for Ignite TV is also distributed, so it's possible that there could be other issues, specific to your location, that could also be affecting your service.

If you know what to look for, you can usually identify the underlying root cause of the problem just by looking the TV picture of a live stream and whether or not there are any problems with recorded content.