Wifi Pods vs Eero - Help

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Wifi Pods vs Eero - Help

Hi Folks. Quick question - we just switched from Bell Fibe to the Rogers Ignite package. With Fibe, we had fibre optic lines running into the house with the mesh pods. With Ignite, we got the wifi pods.

I'm noticing a HUGE difference in the speed (even though we got the 100 GB) and the stability of the connection with Rogers Ignite - its dropping and lagging a lot and in many areas of the house, we barely (if at all) have wifi connection. The TVs are dropping connections, pausing on shows, and Netflix is shutting right off. The biggest issue is that I have a pro gamer in the house and she needs reliable high-speed internet. We do have an old house with plaster walls, but the Ignite modem and all pods were placed in the exact same locations as the Bell Fibe ones were, with little success. 

My question is - how can I solve this? I can't plug the PS4 directly into the modem as they are on separate floors in separate locations of the house. Should I look into Eero (is it that much better than the pods?) or is there an alternative like ethernet powerline adaptors that I should be considering? 

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Wifi Pods vs Eero - Help

Powerline might be worth looking into PERIOD for the pro gamers.. overall period should get better latency, etc than wireless.
(direct wired would be even better, but its a good inbetween)

I dont have the pods myself.. so cant quite comment on the overall quality on them.  Each wireless device might be different.. so the erro might be better? Might not.

Really hard to say what is going on.  Sounds like stuff might not have been configured right.  Perhaps the pods are not even set up/working right?
I would call in and insist that they send someone out to re-set them up and test everything properly before they leave.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Kymberlee  If you had good luck with the Pods before, you should have an equally good experience now.  Given that you have an older home with plaster walls, this is challenging for Wi-Fi but I wouldn't rush to switch to an eero mesh; the Pods are probably a better solution in your case.  The Pods communicate amongst themselves to form a mesh, and the mesh should optimize over time.  That said, it should still converge to "good" state fairly quickly and reach an optimal state over time.

Are you seeing poor performance everywhere in your home or just in the farthest reaches?  If it's just in the vicinity of the farthest pod from the XB6 modem, you can try to visualize what the "optimal" wireless path would look like between the pods (picture straight lines through the floors) all the way down to the XB6, and then try unplugging pods that are not in that path to see if that improves connectivity from that far node.  You can then plug the other pods back in, starting with the one closest to the XB6.

If the Wi-Fi is unstable and performance is poor everywhere in your house, that's a different problem altogether; that is probably being caused by interference.  The Rogers tech should have used a Wi-Fi scanner to assess the local environment and optimize your Wi-Fi configuration when he (or she) performed the Ignite TV installation, and should also not have left without first ensuring that you had a strong connection from all of your set-top boxes and good connectivity from your most distant pods.

On your Xi6 set-top boxes, if you go into "Settings / Device Settings / Network" it should say, "Your signal is good!"  If it does not, unplug the power adapter, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in again.  That should force the set-top box to reconnect to the strongest Access Point in your Wi-Fi network.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kymberlee can you have a look at the bottom of the XB6 modem and let me know what model you have?  It will be an Arris TG3482ER3 or a Technicolor CGM4141ROG.  The Technicolor model has a higher 5 Ghz power output level at the upper 5 Ghz channels 149 to 165.  That is where you should be operating in order to see the largest range from the modem or any router.  Can you also have a look at the following post, specifically the wifi settings and the applications that can be used to look at your wifi environment around the house.  Load inSSIDer and Lizard Systems wifi scanner on a laptop and take a tour of your home, stopping in place at points of interest for at least 3 minutes to allow the applications to present an accurate picture of the wifi networks that are present in those locations and what their power levels are.  This is actually fairly simple.  Once you see where your network is compared to the neighbours networks, any issues that you're having will start to make sense.  

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/429489#M54216

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for your very detailed responses. I have the Arris TG model modem. I'm at work right now so I can't test all the things detailed in the link you provided. I will do that when I get home this evening and will circle back to this thread. Thank you very much. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kymberlee the subject of wifi transmitter power came up last night.  Reviewing the numbers, the modem that you want for 5 Ghz operation in the channel 149 to 165 band is the Arris TG3482P, followed by the Technicolor CGM4141ROG.  You need to be in that channel 149 to 165 band in order for any modem or router to run the highest power output level allowed under Industry Canada regulations.  I'm not sure if Rogers actually have the TG3482P in the inventory.  The other question is, who else among your neighbours is running a network in that band.  Even if there are other users in that bandspace, you will probably find that sharing that bandspace results in faster wifi performance compared to being all by yourself in the lower powered low channel (35 to 44) region.  The allowed transmit power, 200 milli-watts in the lower channel versus 1 watt in the upper channels makes a considerable difference in wifi performance.  Thats a 5 fold difference in power levels, and the modems don't necessarily transmit the maximum allowed power as can be seen in the following post from last night.  Looking the the final two or three figures in those charts shows the measured output power in the upper 149 to 165 region. 

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/XB6-Channels-and-Power-levels/m-p/448135#M3409

Personal opinion, I'd call tech support and ask for a tech to drop by and swap the modem for the Technicolor version as the Arris modem just isn't cutting it for wifi range.  Thats understandable given the test data.  

If you're already running the Eero pods, the higher transmit power of the Technicolor modem, in the upper 149 to 165 channel range should help the pods stay in contact with the modem.  

@Gdkitty indicated the possibility of using powerline adapters to resolve the situation.  They can work, depending on which room in the house that you're trying to connect with.  It all depends on the layout of the electrical panel as to whether or not you'll see satisfactory performance with powerline adapters.  

If you have a pro gamer in the house, I'd be looking at running a good router with external antenna, and possibly another router at the gamers location, running in media bridge mode.  That allows that second router to service local devices via ethernet with a wifi network connecting to the main house router.  The benefits are a good antenna system at both ends which should provide a stable network for the gamer's pc or laptop.

Whats the current gaming platform, pc or laptop, and if its a pc, whats the wifi adapter that is currently in use?  That wifi adapter can make a considerable difference in network performance.

I'm Here A Lot

Hey there. 

Thanks.

Im not running the Eero pods. I have just the regular ones. I didn't know if upgrading to the Eero would make a difference. The other thing that keeps happening (multiple times last night) in addition to everything else is I lose the sound on the TV when watching regular programming. It keeps playing (as in, doesn't freeze) but the sound drops out. 

I will call tech support. I just had it all installed Friday evening. Gamer is on a PS4, not PC. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ah ok, PS4 on wifi.  If tech support indicates that Rogers only has the Arris TG3482ER3 and Technicolor CGM4141ROG, ask for the Technicolor modem.  That, plus potentially moving up to the 149 to 165, 5 Ghz region will hopefully improve the situation. 

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Apple also provides a Wi-Fi scanner on both macOS and iOS:

• For Mac users, hold down the "option" key and click on the Wi-Fi icon on the macOS menu bar, then select "Open Wireless Diagnostics...".  Under the Window menu, select "Scan".  (The Scan tools works best if you temporarily disconnect from Wi-Fi.  To do that, hold down the "option" key and click on the Wi-Fi icon, then select the "Disconnect from" item for your active network connection.)
  • For iPhone users, install Apple's "AirPort Utility" app and enable the "Wi-Fi Scanner" option in settings.  Launch "AirPort Utility" and select "WiFi Scan" at the top of the screen to open the Scanner.

Both of these tools also display the signal strength of nearby wireless networks with hidden SSIDs.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks. Technician is coming back out to the house tomorrow. Fingers crossed they can resolve this! Really really appreciate all your help!