cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do Ignite boxes ask "Are you still there?" after 3 hours and 55 minutes?

wayner92
I'm a senior contributor

I am recording the US Open golf coverage using a PC based capture device that is fed by an Ignite box.  The early coverage on TSN today is 6.5 hours from 6:30am until 1pm.  I have a process to send a "Back arrow" to the Ignite box every four hours and I can confirm that is working as at 7:59am I see the OSD popup seeing that this command was received. Then at 11:54am it brings up a popup saying "Are you still there?  This TV Box will go to sleep in 5 minutes.  If you have PVR, scheduled records won't be affected. Stay Awake Manage Power Preference"  Why is it asking me this?

Under Power Preferences I have it set to Power Save: Off and under screen saver settings I have it set to 5 hours, yet after 3 hours and 55 minutes it brings a popup. 

Shouldn't it wait until 4h55m after the last keypress before asking me that?  Isn't that what a Screen Saver time of 5 hours means? Is this a bug.

***Edited Labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Why do Ignite boxes ask "Are you still there?" after 3 hours and 55 minutes?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wayner92 wrote:

I am recording the US Open golf coverage using a PC based capture device that is fed by an Ignite box.  The early coverage on TSN today is 6.5 hours from 6:30am until 1pm.  I have a process to send a "Back arrow" to the Ignite box every four hours and I can confirm that is working as at 7:59am I see the OSD popup seeing that this command was received. Then at 11:54am it brings up a popup saying "Are you still there?  This TV Box will go to sleep in 5 minutes.  If you have PVR, scheduled records won't be affected. Stay Awake Manage Power Preference"  Why is it asking me this?

Under Power Preferences I have it set to Power Save: Off and under screen saver settings I have it set to 5 hours, yet after 3 hours and 55 minutes it brings a popup. 

Shouldn't it wait until 4h55m after the last keypress before asking me that?  Isn't that what a Screen Saver time of 5 hours means? Is this a bug.

I do not know whether this is a bug or a feature.  Comcast certainly did not design for your use case.

I do know that the volume up/down buttons on the Ignite Voice Remote also "ping" the set-top box to keep it alive, in addition to sending IR codes to the TV or audio device.

Re: Why do Ignite boxes ask "Are you still there?" after 3 hours and 55 minutes?

wayner92
I'm a senior contributor

Thanks.  I know that they didn't design for my use case, but their implementation of the screen saver seems flawed since it is supposed to wait 5 hours to show the screen saver, yet the device wants to power off after 4 hours.  Even though it doesn't really power off.  It just goes into screensaver mode.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation