Weak Ring Tone With Ignite Home Phone

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Weak Ring Tone With Ignite Home Phone

I accepted the offer to switch from separate internet and phone service to an "Ignite TV" package because the marketer assured me it'd be cheaper than paying for internet and home phone individually.  I don't have a TV and don't need the TV part of the bundle, and I wish they'd stop trying to "follow up" with me on how I'm enjoying the TV and "when you get your TV..." and so on.  I will not be getting one later.

But never mind that.  The more serious issue is that since the install of the new combined modem, my landline phone only rings faintly.  It appears that the new modem doesn't produce enough ringing power to make it ring properly.  I have an old-style phone with an electromechanical ringer, but I have plugged in only one phone, and it's plugged directly into the modem so there should be no issue of loss in wiring.  The ringer equivalency number for this phone is "0.5A," and my understanding is that standard phone service is supposed to be able to ring phones with a total (for all phones on the circuit) of up to 5.0 - so there should be plenty of juice.  I have tried it with another phone whose ringer equivalency number is "0.8B" and that worked fine, so my best guess is that there's some important difference between the A and B equivalency numbers.

Has anyone encountered this kind of issue?  Do I actually have a bad modem, or are these modems just not expected to ring electromechanical phones?  I don't want to have the Rogers techs out here yet again if it's only going to mean another round of explaining that I don't have a television and won't be getting one later either, and being told that this phone won't work and I just have to use a different one.

**Labels Added**

Re: Weak Ring Tone With Ignite Home Phone

Hello, @mskala.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for your detailed post. I can imagine the inconvenience of missing important phone calls because of the weak ring tone. 

The mechanical ringer phone with a REN (Ringer Equivalency Number) of 0.5A indicates it's a type A ringer. Was your phone ringing normal/louder with the regular Rogers Home Phone service?

The issue may not be with the REN rating; it could be the amount of voltage your phone needs to ring louder. The other phone you have with type B ringer most likely don't need high voltage to ring louder. 

Community - any input on this topic? Thanks All. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, it rang at the expected volume with the Rogers Home Phone service I had previously; the ring with the new modem is much weaker.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are several devices made to fix this issue. one is a device that boosts your Ring Equivalency Number (REN) and another device that boosts the ring voltage. And possibly some that do both at the same time. Do not ask me where to find them cus with home phone becoming extinct, it will be challenging to find such devices, unless you try online websites or find a company that has surplus of older electronic devices. or what not. good luck

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Something like this perhaps??

https://www.amazon.com/Viking-VK-RG-10A-RG-10A-Ring-Booster/dp/B004XY1JU4

Buuut..... $160 U.S. ..... nuts.   

Have a look at the following post regarding the XB6 modem models.  Perhaps the answer is to swap the XB6 for the other model of the XB6?  

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/No-VPN-connection-possible-using-new-Rogers-Ignite-Ca...

Have you chatted with Tech Support to see if the Ring Equivalency # can be adjusted?  Maybe it can, but I suspect that no one has asked that question so far. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Bearing in mind that it rings the phone with REN 0.8B just fine, and a standard phone circuit is supposed to be able to ring up to a total REN of 5.0, I don't think that the problem of not ringing a phone with REN 0.5A can be only caused by the total REN being too much for the modem.  It ought to be able to ring *ten* phones like the one that is failing!  And even if (as I suspect) the cable box can't really provide 5.0 REN worth of ringing power, the fact that it rings the 0.8 phone means it has at least 0.8 units of ringing power, which is more than 0.5.

My current thinking is that the issue is in those "A" and "B" suffixes.  I found this page on the Net, which despite the frequent spelling mistakes seems to provide sensible technical information:  http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/telephone_ringer.html

It suggests that there's an important difference of frequency, not voltage or current, between "A" ringers and "B" ringers.  The "A" ringers, like the one that is failing for me, expect the ringing signal to have a 20Hz frequency and don't tolerate frequencies far off of that.  The "B" ringers, which are more common now, tolerate anything in a range from 15Hz to 68Hz.  If the ringing signal is too high a frequency, that's plausible and it would explain the behaviour I've seen:  reliable ringing with an "0.8B" ringer and not reliable ringing with a "0.5A" ringer.

If there is a reasonable amount of power and just the wrong frequency, I could get a splitter for like $5, plug both phones into the line, turn off the ringer on the one that doesn't ring properly, and just use the other for its ringer.  I'm not really happy with that because I want my electromechanical phone to ring, not just *some* phone to ring.  But it's better than switching phones entirely, or shelling out what would end up being over $200 Canadian for a REN booster that it's not clear would even solve the problem.  At the moment it looks like the issue is frequency, not voltage, and the voltage booster would only help if it incidentally also changes the frequency.  I'm going to try getting a splitter and experimenting with that.