WANT: Scheduling recording from phone app.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

WANT: Scheduling recording from phone app.

Since all recording is in the cloud, why can’t we schedule recordings from the app?

This would be really useful for those times when you realize you won’t be home on time to watch something.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: WANT: Scheduling recording from phone app.

I read it is because TIVO has a patent on that. It is being fought in court I also hear.

Yes it sure would be nice.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This issue has been discussed many times on this and other forums. TiVo's patent is being challenged and Rogers/Comcast currently don't allow for "manage PVR" functionality like we used to have.  If Comcast/Rogers win the challenge, we may get it and even if they lose, they may be willing to pay the "fee" to use it, but there is no date regarding that possibility at this time.  Nor do we know if that will only affect Ignite or also affect regular Cable TV.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I've Been Around

Then why is it possible with Bell Fibe app?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Bell doesn't use Comcast-licensed technology. Rogers does.

I've Been Around

I was able to do it with bell fibe tv app so don’t think there is a patent restriction.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Atorreslora21 : as stated in the post above yours, Bell uses a different technology. At this time Rogers is not willing to pay the royalties for this feature.  Videotron, who has just started using this, must be paying since they are offering this feature, as is at least one other service provider in Western Canada.  What we need to do is pressure Rogers into paying the royalties (or whatever) so that we can have this feature.  I believe I read that Comcast is also now offering this feature - I'm not aware of what deal was struck to re-enable this. Perhaps someone else has some additional insight.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57   Personally I would like them to get the current features working correctly and consistently before I ask them to add features.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i dont have TV but i want tv customers to enjoy this feature so get working on it asap rogers