Voice Control not functioning

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scarey1
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Voice Control not functioning

This has been an ongoing issue for me and it is very annoying.  I replace the batteries, even though they show 90% and it works fine for two weeks and then stops again!!!!!  Even worse is when I go the long way to an app and it very (un)helpfully tells me that I could have used Voice Remote.  Ummm, no, I can't!

RogersMike

Hello @scarey1 

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the Ignite TV remote I can understand how challenging that must be, I'd be happy to help get you on the right track.

Great idea on checking the batteries - as that is the most common issue. If possible try with another set of AA batteries that are preferably alkaline-based.

Can you check one thing for me? Can you verify if you can change the channels or launch the guide while pointing the remote directly at the IR receiver on the Ignite TV box?

Looking forward to your reply.

Kind Regards,

RogersMike

scarey1
I'm Here A Lot

Hi - the current batteries *were* alkaline and were only a few weeks old.  I switched them for yet another new set of Alkaline batteries and it's working. For now.  But this is a repeated problem. Everything *except* the Voice command works.  How many times do I have to change batteries for this to function properly on a continuing basis?  That seems ridiculous!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@scarey1  For what it's worth, I'm using 2000 mAh NiMH rechargeable AA batteries in my XR15 remotes without any problems.  It has been a few weeks since I recharged the batteries in the remote that I am using now, Remote Battery Level is 50%, and voice commands work fine for me.

scarey1
I'm Here A Lot

Wow the battery charge goes down that much in a few weeks?!  In any case, the batteries I just switched out were at 90%, so it *shouldn't* have been a battery issue, but changing them resolved it for now at least.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@scarey1 The main point that I was trying to make is that Voice Commands worked for me, even with an old, old set of rechargeable AA's that weren't even at full charge.

Your battery life will depend on how you use the remote. how often you use voice commands, how often the backlight turns on, etc.

As for voice commands not working, there have also been rare occasions where voice commands did not work for me, then they did again, with no action on my part.  Must have been a glitch in the back-end systems.

SteveB333
I've Been Here Awhile

HELP!

I'm having the same issue, Remote doesn't everything EXCEPT voice control.

Frustrating to hear how "everyone loves it".

I've change the batteries a few times with new Duracells and it doesn't make any difference.

Do you think the remote might be defective?

SteveB333
I've Been Here Awhile

Sorry...meant *Remote does everything EXCEPT voice control.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. Note that it's possible to edit your post within 2 hours of posting by clicking the "gear" at the top right of your post when signed in.

2. Some people who were having issues with the voice control commented once they put to box in a different (better line of sight) location, the voice control started working.  So, even if only temporarily for a test, move the box so that you can easily see it and try voice control from closer to the box.

3. Batteries can sometimes be an issue as you noticed try a different alkaline brand or eneloop rechargeables, once you have things sorted.

4. It is possible you have a bad remote. Was voice control ever working?

Avid-
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, I finally got all 4 of our *****@rogers.com email accounts working today.  They were errored out since last Thursday, Nov. 5.

Coincidentally, our 3 Ignite TV voice remotes are not functioning properly.  For most of yesterday, Nov. 9th, all functions were very slow to take effect.  Now, all manual functions are normal but VOICE commands are NOT WORKING.  System error response code is "XRE-09012".

I have tried all recommended troubleshooting steps, including - new alkaline batteries, new & fully-charged NiMH batteries, rebooting both Ignite modem and each TV streaming box, clear space between (radio frequency) remote and receiver TV box, close proximity between remote and TV receiver box.  I have not yet tried standing on my head and spitting quarters, but I doubt that would resolve the issue.

3 remotes, three Ignite TV  boxes - all the same problem, all at the same time.  What gives???

My suspicion is that there is a back-end problem.

Anyone?