Grwebster
I Plan to Stick Around

voice stopped working tonight.  Is a server down?  Will try our other TV

***Edited Labels***

50 REPLIES 50

Re: Voice Control not functioning

RogersZia

Hi @Grwebster,

Voice remote is definitely my favourite feature of the remote! I wasn't able to replicate the issue on my end. Did you try the feature on the second TV? Did it work for you?

Any one else in the Community experiencing this issue?

RogersZia

banksant
I've Been Here Awhile

Voice recognition not working. When I press the microphone button on remote, it says not working now try later. Then it goes into teaching mode and says "press and hold" say CNN or record" etc etc.  Its been two days now and still the same. I have rebooted and changed the  batteries, but still wont work.  It is working on my other tv. I have only had ignite for 2 weeks so remote is new. Can anyone help. Thanks

Hi @banksant!

Thanks for sharing your concern with the rest of the Rogers Community! 

I also have Ignite TV at home and the voice remote is my absolute favourite feature!! I would be pretty frustrated if it conked out on me. 😒

It sounds like you've taken all of the right steps to troubleshoot the problem, to no avail. I ran some tests on my 3 TV's and am not personally noticing anything wrong, plus you mentioned that your other Ignite remote seems to be working fine. I also checked for any reported issues and could not find anything specific to your concern.

In this case, the issue may be with your remote control being faulty. A quick swap at your nearest Rogers branded location will probably do the trick! Can you please give this a try and provide us with an update once done?

Kind regards!

RogersLaura

Hi To All:

I just replaced the batteries in the remote. All functions that we use on a regular basis seem to be working except for the "voice remote" function. We're getting 5 green lights so there is a full battery charge. Any thoughts?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CJS1  If you just press the Microphone button briefly (without saying anything) does the set-top box respond with "Sorry, I didn't get that." or ask you to "Press and hold to try again.", or do you get a different error?

From time to time, when using voice commands, I get an error that the service is unavailable... but works when I try again a few seconds later.

On one other occasion, voice commands would not work on one set-top box but worked fine on others.  I Restarted the stb and all was well again.

This is the same with mine. It works once then not again for several tries, goes to teaching mode yet the remotes on the other two TVs work fine. Hope we can get this sorted out.

Hey @magichands!

We appreciate you joining us here in the Rogers Community Forums and thanks for the post! Hopefully, it will be the first of many to come! 😁

Having to fiddle around with your remote can't be a very fun experience! Normally, when I begin having issues with the voice command option on my Ignite remote, it has to do with the battery power getting low. A simple switch to some new batteries normally does the trick! Otherwise, I would recommend trying a reboot of the Ignite box to see if this helps, as suggested by our Resident Expert @-G-

Please let the community know how it goes and if you are able to get the issue resolved at your end! 👍

Thank you,

RogersLaura

Lucpr
I've Been Around
Same issue should have stayed with bell

Welcome to the Community @Lucpr,

I find the voice remote super handy! Can you please elaborate a little on what issue are you experiencing? What happens when you press the microphone button? 

Just need a little bit more info to assist you further.

RogersZia

This has been an ongoing issue for me and it is very annoying.  I replace the batteries, even though they show 90% and it works fine for two weeks and then stops again!!!!!  Even worse is when I go the long way to an app and it very (un)helpfully tells me that I could have used Voice Remote.  Ummm, no, I can't!

Hello @scarey1 

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the Ignite TV remote I can understand how challenging that must be, I'd be happy to help get you on the right track.

Great idea on checking the batteries - as that is the most common issue. If possible try with another set of AA batteries that are preferably alkaline-based.

Can you check one thing for me? Can you verify if you can change the channels or launch the guide while pointing the remote directly at the IR receiver on the Ignite TV box?

Looking forward to your reply.

Kind Regards,

RogersMike

Hi - the current batteries *were* alkaline and were only a few weeks old.  I switched them for yet another new set of Alkaline batteries and it's working. For now.  But this is a repeated problem. Everything *except* the Voice command works.  How many times do I have to change batteries for this to function properly on a continuing basis?  That seems ridiculous!

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@scarey1  For what it's worth, I'm using 2000 mAh NiMH rechargeable AA batteries in my XR15 remotes without any problems.  It has been a few weeks since I recharged the batteries in the remote that I am using now, Remote Battery Level is 50%, and voice commands work fine for me.

scarey1
I'm Here A Lot

Wow the battery charge goes down that much in a few weeks?!  In any case, the batteries I just switched out were at 90%, so it *shouldn't* have been a battery issue, but changing them resolved it for now at least.  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@scarey1 The main point that I was trying to make is that Voice Commands worked for me, even with an old, old set of rechargeable AA's that weren't even at full charge.

Your battery life will depend on how you use the remote. how often you use voice commands, how often the backlight turns on, etc.

As for voice commands not working, there have also been rare occasions where voice commands did not work for me, then they did again, with no action on my part.  Must have been a glitch in the back-end systems.

SteveB333
I've Been Here Awhile

HELP!

I'm having the same issue, Remote doesn't everything EXCEPT voice control.

Frustrating to hear how "everyone loves it".

I've change the batteries a few times with new Duracells and it doesn't make any difference.

Do you think the remote might be defective?

SteveB333
I've Been Here Awhile

Sorry...meant *Remote does everything EXCEPT voice control.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. Note that it's possible to edit your post within 2 hours of posting by clicking the "gear" at the top right of your post when signed in.

2. Some people who were having issues with the voice control commented once they put to box in a different (better line of sight) location, the voice control started working.  So, even if only temporarily for a test, move the box so that you can easily see it and try voice control from closer to the box.

3. Batteries can sometimes be an issue as you noticed try a different alkaline brand or eneloop rechargeables, once you have things sorted.

4. It is possible you have a bad remote. Was voice control ever working?

Avid-
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, I finally got all 4 of our *****@rogers.com email accounts working today.  They were errored out since last Thursday, Nov. 5.

Coincidentally, our 3 Ignite TV voice remotes are not functioning properly.  For most of yesterday, Nov. 9th, all functions were very slow to take effect.  Now, all manual functions are normal but VOICE commands are NOT WORKING.  System error response code is "XRE-09012".

I have tried all recommended troubleshooting steps, including - new alkaline batteries, new & fully-charged NiMH batteries, rebooting both Ignite modem and each TV streaming box, clear space between (radio frequency) remote and receiver TV box, close proximity between remote and TV receiver box.  I have not yet tried standing on my head and spitting quarters, but I doubt that would resolve the issue.

3 remotes, three Ignite TV  boxes - all the same problem, all at the same time.  What gives???

My suspicion is that there is a back-end problem.

Anyone?

Hello, @Avid-.

Thank you for joining this thread and sharing your voice remote commands not working concern. 

I appreciate all the troubleshooting done so far. Can you confirm if the Voice Control is On? The navigation path to check the setting: Press the [ROGERS] Menu button -> Settings (Gear Icon) -> Remote Settings -> Voice Control -> ON.

If the setting is On, you can try un-pairing/re-pairing the remote by following the support article

Please keep us posted on the outcome. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin