Viewing Ignite Recordings while traveling

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Viewing Ignite Recordings while traveling

I'm curious as to why I can't access my own IgniteTV recordings while I'm traveling. Seems kind of pointless to offer this service if I can't access it from abroad.
Seems I'm restricted from downloading, streaming, even On Demand.
Are there any workarounds?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Viewing Ignite Recordings while traveling

I am not sure if they offer such feature. It would be cool if they did. Id also expectit would not be free cus if u think about back in the day when cable was analog only and we had vcrs we would have to wait till we got back from our trip to watch our recordings. So this would be considered a luxury and not a standard feature if it were to exist.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I doubt that this is an issue over a "luxury" item.  Perhaps more an issue of licencing.  You're able to watch the ignite tv recordings at home, and possible in the same city or province, when you go out of province or out of country you might run into licencing issues.  I can see that happening if you're out of country.  

I doubt that you'll get any productive response here in the forum.  You're best bet is probably with an ignite concierge.  Maybe he or she can point you to the fine print covering "on the road" usage.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Are you downloading the recording to you device? I have downloaded a recorded show and my wife watched on the plane. 

I just downloaded a show,  turned off my wifi on thus tablet and was able to watch the show.

You download the recording.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here are the instructions for downloading a recording to your device using the Ignite App for viewing while away:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/using-download-and-go

You cannot utilize the Ignite App outside Canada, despite what the following FAQ says:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/using-the-ignite-tv-app

@CommunityHelps : Please correct the link so that it says "IN CANADA", not "anywhere".

Community Manager
Community Manager

That's correct @Biollw 

As long as you download your recordings to your device of choice prior to leaving Canada, you can watch your recordings. Done it myself from Dulles airport, Heathrow, Gatwick, Dublin, Newark, LAX and Melbourne.

You just can't access your content from the cloud while outside of Canada.

Hope this helps clarify 🙂

RogersDarrell

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As mentioned above.. the main reason is LICENSING.
That those specific shows may be licensed to a different company in that country.. so your 'technically' not allowed to view them there.. as your not paying that company to watch them there.  

As mentioned, if you download them FIRST, you should be able to view them while there on the device.

Otherwise, the only other real option to access them, would be using a VPN while in those countries.
Using one, which would make you appear like you are in Canada, should allow you to view them.

I've Been Here Awhile

The issue here is Roger doing false advertising, saying words like “anywhere” tv. When I am in Canada I do not need “anywhere” tv. When I am out of Canada is when I need “anywhere” tv.

Welcome to the Community @fitness06967!

Thank you for your feedback. As mentioned above in post 6 & 7 of this thread, you are able to access the downloaded content while on the go. 

Hope this helps!

RogersZia

I've Been Here Awhile

Roger’s advertises the service as “Movies, sports, shows and downloads, anywhere, anytime“ which is no true, because we are only able to access the downloaded content when out of Canada. The adds should say: “Downloaded Movies, sports, shows, anywhere, anytime”. Or a clear disclaimer saying that outside Canada, we only have access to downloaded content. Don’t you agree?