Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Using the Ignite TV Modem/Gateway in Bridge Mode

Thank you!
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So far so good with my setup, but was wondering if anyone else noticed this. When I log into the Xb6 it doesn't show any of my devices connected (my linksys is in bridge mode). I may show one device connected randomly but every other device on my wifi (which is listed ) is shown as offline, is that normal?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Okay so Rogers replaced my modem yesterday, and went back in to enable Bridge mode to use my router as I've given up on using the XB6 as a router, it's painful in so many ways.

However, once again, my router isn't getting an IPv6 address from the XB6. Have rebooted...everything..multiple times.  Also tried reloading the firmware, and nada.

Thoughts?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@PVC  Did you set up IPv6 on your Netgear router as per the directions in this post?

After confirming that your router's settings are correct, please try the following steps:

- Ensure that bridge mode is enabled in your XB6 gateway

- Disconnect the ALL Ethernet cables from the XB6's LAN ports

- Unplug the power plug for your Netgear router

- Restart your XB6 by power-cycling it.

- After the XB6 comes back online and its status LED turns solid white, wait AT LEAST 10 minutes.

- After the 10 minute wait period has completed, connect the your Netgear router DIRECTLY to the XB6.  DO NOT connect any other devices to the XB6.

- Power up your Netgear router.

- Reboot your computer

Please let us know if this worked.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Does it matter if the router is plugged into ETH1 or 2, or does it matter, I noticed that when the xb6 is in gateway mode, there are extra options on port 2
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Fookaroo wrote:
Does it matter if the router is plugged into ETH1 or 2, or does it matter, I noticed that when the xb6 is in gateway mode, there are extra options on port 2

I don't think it matters which ETH port you use, at least not in a default configuration.  I use ETH 1.

As for "ETH 2", the XB6 gateway is not just a modem.  Comcast developed this device to be the hub for a whole suite of "connected home" service offerings.  I think the extra option for "ETH 2" is used to associate that port with a special internal VLAN, that is used to support wired and wireless devices and sensors for a Home Security service.

The XB6 has a few weird options that are not documented anywhere.  Whenever I have asked about them, the person either responds that they don't know or (if they do) says that is it used for a future service, and can't/won't provide any additional information.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for this information. It is great!

I am new to this IPv6. If I may, I want to ask some questions?

Currently, I have XB6 -> EdgeRouter Lite -> Devices.

I still have the XB6 in "non-bridge" mode. And I setup DHCPv6-PD on EdgeRouter Lite by following instructions on another forum. Hopefully, I followed it correctly. I see EdgeRouter Lite gets an IPv6 address. But the devices that is connecting to EdgeRouter Lite, should it be getting IPv6 address now or only after the XB6 is switched to Bridge mode?

And if one of the Devices is a wireless router. And I would need to setup the Wireless router to do DHCPv6-PD? And it should have the IPv6 address and the device that connect to this wireless router would get the IPv6 address too? I guess I would need this for the Ignite TV?

Currently, I am still in non-bridge mode, and my devices, either a Windows computer or wireless router, are not getting IPv6 address from EdgeRouter Lite. I would like to make sure I have everything setup correctly before trying to turn on bridge mode. Which I currently not sure if I have the EdgeRouter setup correctly.

Thank you in advance. And sorry for all the dumb questions...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@GarfieldTheCat  The Rogers IPv6 Status thread is probably a better place to ask general IPv6-related questions.

However, the setup that you describe here is a good example of why it is NOT a good thing to cascade multiple router/firewall devices behind one another as it can cause issues that affect both IPv4 and IPv6.

In the IPv4 case, you typically have public IPv4 address (reachable from the entire Internet) on your router's WAN interface, a private address range on your internal LAN segment, the router/firewall typically performs network address translation, making it it look like connections from an internal device originate from the public IP address that is assigned to your WAN interface.  It can be problematic, for some applications, when a connection traverses multiple router/firewalls.  (Search the Internet for "double NAT" to see what some of these problems can be.)

With IPv6, we don't perform NAT because EVERY IPv6 device gets its own unique IPv6 address.  In our case, our IPv6 router obtains an IPv6 prefix delegation from Rogers and allocates that (or a portion of it) to its internal LAN segment.  One of the problems with cascading IPv6 router/firewalls is that the downstream router may only get a portion of the PD that it requests/expects and, worst case, may only be able to get an IPv6 address on its WAN interface.

All of these issues can be fixed with the proper configuration, and knowledge of what to do (and what not to do) and why... and this can also cause frustration for those with limited networking knowledge when things don't "just work".

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@-G- Sorry, want to confirm if I understand your answer. I think my Devices behind the EdgeRouter Lite should get IPv6 address if my EdgeRouter Lite is setup correctly?

I did post a message to the link you provided. There was a user who said he has a working version of config for EdgeRouter. So, I posted what I have and hoping someone can confirm my settings is correct. I got a suggestion to change the prefix length from 64 to 54. And it went off topic and they were discussing the old days about address space.

I understand your point. It should leave it to the expert. But I am just running a home network. I cannot afford an expert coming in. And if it is so simple, I don't need to post stupid questions, right? And if I don't try, how am I going to learn? I admitted already that I am new to IPv6. So, I just want to understand what is the expected behavior and if someone can give me a tip or two of where to look would be much appreciated. I wasn't expecting a reply telling me that if I don't know what I am doing, don't do it. I feel like I am back in high school and the teacher is telling the class how stupid you are. I wonder what is the purpose of this forums, to help people or to discourage people. It is so sad to see this.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I've been struggling to decide whether or not to go thru with my Ignite migration, and based on a few things I've learned about the platform over the last few weeks, I'm leaning towards cancelling it and just keeping my legacy digital cable services...but I'm not 100% on that yet.  However, this week I noticed something that could be a huge show-stopper for me migrating to Ignite.  Up until a few days ago, I had IPv6 disabled on my Asus RT-AC68U router which I'm using with a CODA-4582 modem in bridge mode.  Everything was working flawlessly until I decided to re-enable IPv6 a few days ago.  Ever since then, my wife and I have had problems with MS Teams and Outlook on our work computers.  With IPv6 enabled, we drop MS Teams calls every few mins, and Outlook frequently refuses to connect to our Exchange servers.  As soon as I disabled IPv6 on the router today, boom! - everything worked well again.  I'm not sure if it's a problem on Rogers' end or if it's my Asus router because I have not tested using the CODA-4582 exclusively (and obviously with IPv6 enabled) without my Asus router.

Question - do the Ignite TV boxes absolutely need IPv6 or will they work fine with just IPv4?  If I migrate to Ignite, I would like to continue using my Asus router (with XB6 bridged) but will I have problems with TV service if I leave IPv6 disabled on the router?  I realize I can just disable IPv6 in my WiFi and LAN adapter settings on my work laptop (and on my wife's work laptop too), and keep IPv6 enabled on my Asus, but if we're having problems with Teams and Outlook, who knows what other issues we're going to run into on other devices with IPv6 enabled on our home network.  I would rather just keep it disabled on the router if I can but need to make sure Ignite TV will work.  And I'd also be interested to hear if others have a similar problem as I do...